Oak Won't Open, have Res folder in correct place

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Sandro-Halpo

Oak Won't Open, have Res folder in correct place

Post by Sandro-Halpo »

Like the title says, Oak will not start properly. When initiated it flashes an empty white box then crashes in less than a second. All other tools like Fear, Loathing, Soundblighter, etc seem to work fine. I have tried using older versions of Oak and the same thing happened. The same thing happens when using both x64 and x32 versions of the exe. Attemts were made to Run as Administrator and/or in Compatibility Mode but neither seemed to have any effect.

I saw some other threads that said this might happen because the "res" folder included in the .zip file was not in the correct place, but as far as I know it is. The res folder is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Myth II, the same as the other programs and the Oak .exe. I looked at the log file oak created but I don't understand what it means or how to fix it. The log reads:

In main
OsSpecificInit Passed
ReadPrefs Passed
OsInit Passed
FATAL: OsSetWindow failed; quitting.

Can anyone please help?
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: Oak Won't Open, have Res folder in correct place

Post by Myrd »

Are your graphics drivers up to date? What version of Windows?
Sandro-Halpo

Re: Oak Won't Open, have Res folder in correct place

Post by Sandro-Halpo »

Thank you Myrd for responding, but fortunately I was able to resolve the various problems Oak was giving me earlier today. Turns out, after cracking the thing open and looking through the code, it was crashing because a repeating call loop was preventing it from accessing my graphics card. This sort of thing happens sometimes with older programs that haven't been updated in a while, and it's no fault of the programmers. Once I understood the problem it was not difficult to point Oak in the right direction, and so far as I can tell it works as intended now.

While it was and is frustrating that the current community for Myth is sparse and often outdated, I would like to take a moment to say I respect Melekor, Myrd and the many others who created and improved the third-party various tools. Just as an example, Oak 1.0 was posted in 2008, and 1.23 in 2014! That's six years of real life distractions while working on something that makes no money and an extremely small number of people will use. All of Project Magma are commendable for improving and maintaining the game, but at least that comes with the satisfaction that 100% of Myth players appreciate it. The mapmaking tools, now that's a labor of love.

Now that I have Oak working I can start making real progress towards creating all sorts of new content for Myth! I'm very excited and, I hope, have both the skill and motivation to start making things equal in quality to the great plugins of the past. Wish me luck, I look forward to sharing it all soon.

Thanks again Myrd, both for bothering to reply, for being a Site Admin and for your dedication to Myth. :)