Goodbye Myth... - Leaving Myth II (well, I already have.)

Talk about anything here.
Tornberry

Post by Tornberry »

I had quit playing Myth II over a year ago. I just felt like seeing if people still were on the PlayMyth and the Hotline servers, and it seems they are. However, after talking to a few people and checking out the community, I now realize why I made the decision to stop playing Myth II early last year.

Too much of the same. Nothing original or unique ever entices people. They're reluctant to try something new or different. Same old multiplayer games that we've all beaten to death so many times already. I also don't feel very welcome into the community itself. People from long before who seemed to act like children continue that persona to this day. I really can't mix into the community, I'll have to move on. Well, not only that, but also the in-game conflicts: People would take ranked games WAY too seriously, as if their lives depended it. Even in non-ranked games, people would lash out at you for every little mistake you made. What ever happened to playing a game and having fun, just enjoying it for what it's worth?

It all starting going downhill for me when Creation Games stopped making total conversions. (Their finest works were the following co-op/campaigns: The Seventh God, Sisters of the Blade, The Legend of Gor-Ash, and Bushido- Way of the Warrior.)

But I will say this, Myth II was one of the greatest games I have ever played, and I had some good times with friends I made during my Myth gaming experience. (Mainly playing through different co-op/campaign plugins, trying out plugins of my own, and playing through plugins you made yourself. You guys know who you are.) ;)

You guys take care. It was great being a Myther, but too much of the same is never enticing.

What has Tornberry been playing during all his time away from Myth II and what will he continue to play? Well, as you can see, the arguments I made for not wishing to play Myth II can also be used for massive multiplayer games in general. So now to answer the question of "What has Tornberry been playing during all his time away from Myth II and what will he continue to play?" Single player and cooperative single player games. I'm avoiding multiplayer games altogether, for they just don't satisfy me as a good story-driven, dedicated cooperative games does. For example, I had just recently played through an RTS game called Ground Control II with my cousin. We watched the cutscenes and went through the story, mission by mission. An excellent game and I had a great time playing it! That's the TRUE gaming experience for me. Starting, progressing, and completing a game that you give your undivided attention. No need to rely on others to get into the right "mood" to play it (and complete it) with you. Just me and a few other friends who are dedicated from start to end. (Now you know why I preferred the campaign co-op plugins over multiplayer Myth games.) I've been doing this since I've stopped playing Myth II and I will continue on this path. New stories, different types of gameplay (from RPG to RTS to Flight Sims), experiencing new genres, etc...

Have fun playing Body Count, CTF, and the same old missions over and over on Legendary. ;) (Even though I never joined such games. I only played those "crazy" plugins, after all.) It's time for me to move on.

Peace!
-Tornberry

P.S. If you reply by badmouthing me, just know this: I'm not going to reply to this thread anyways. Plus, it will only further my point about the community I just mentioned earlier.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Sorry to hear that, Torn. I also don't like rude players or the same old maps for too long. The only way I've found to deal with these issues is to hang in there long enough to find similarly minded players (and I assure you they do exist) but I know it can be draining at times.

Best of luck and fun in your new adventures.
Horus

Post by Horus »

You couldn't even wait for The Fallen's Vengeance, Laws of Evil, or Tomb Kings the King of all TCs?!!

Hmm well... maybe see you on aim sometime in the future... that is if you are still planning to use aim...
lank

Post by lank »

i never knew you torn, but you seem like a good sort. sorry to see you go. if you still enjoy playing myth solo, don't forget to check in periodically and see if we've made anything new - i assure you loe and other projects will see the light of day, and they sound like the sort of thing you enjoy in myth.

whatever you do, take care and above all else have fun.

lank waves goodbye, then wipes a small tear from the corner of his eye.
*toot*
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"...the King of all TCs?!!"

That's a big claim dude.

TORNBERRY : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I can't believe you're leaving, and you're not even going to reply to yer goodbye thread! After all we've been through!

Just jokes. But seriously now, outside of ol' Beer Can, you were the first guy Cid and myself knew of that liked anything about Freedom. Sorry that I could never get that last level to work for you. And thanks for giving our campaign a chance when (perhaps) it didn't deserve one.

GL HF & 12, old friend.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

"Too much of the same. Nothing original or unique ever entices people. They're reluctant to try something new or different. Same old multiplayer games that we've all beaten to death so many times already."

heh, obviously you've never played "Rocket Dorf Fest".
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Never knew him, but the loss of any Myther is a bad thing. RIP man.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"heh, obviously you've never played "Rocket Dorf Fest"

I did though. It was neat. Had some bright ideas in it - but it didn't catch my attention like, say, Ephor of Myrgard.
I would say the biggest innovations in Myth recently have been on the other end - the new features for mapmakers to use in the first place.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
spectral spirit

Post by spectral spirit »

Fare thee well Tornberry, you are completely understood, just never give up on solo Myth. Enjoy the plugins as they come out.

Bushido: The Way Of The Warrior was mentioned in that list. Does anyone have a link to a patch for that plugin because I've only ever played the first two levels because of murderously infuriating scripting blunders.
A wise man once said that wise men were wasted on fools like me.
Horus

Post by Horus »

spectral spirit wrote:Fare thee well Tornberry, you are completely understood, just never give up on solo Myth. Enjoy the plugins as they come out.

Bushido: The Way Of The Warrior was mentioned in that list. Does anyone have a link to a patch for that plugin because I've only ever played the first two levels because of murderously infuriating scripting blunders.

There was only one script blunder that affected finishing a level in that plug (the one with Tengu stealing rockets). Though someday if Clem gives the Onyx Warlords (the TFV team), or Magma permission, a patch would be made to fix most if not all of the bugs.

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1125854567
spectral spirit

Post by spectral spirit »

There was only one script blunder that affected finishing a level in that plug (the one with Tengu stealing rockets). Though someday if Clem gives the Onyx Warlords (the TFV team), or Magma permission, a patch would be made to fix most if not all of the bugs.

I lied. I played the level with the bridge a few years ago and if memory serves me well I came close to tearing my hair out on that too.

Some plugins that have stressed me out:

Bushido
The 7th Legion
Tomb Raider
River of Gold

And many others that have burrowed deep into my fragile mind.

I know this is immaterial to this post and this thread but in 'River of Life' (which I dug up today) the main objective is to protect the temple of Wyrd. Doesn't look like much of a landmark but reminded me of TFV lore and the 'hero of the Age' rule.
A wise man once said that wise men were wasted on fools like me.