Myth II 1.8.1 Released!

Talk about anything here.
Myrd
Site Admin

Myth II 1.8.1 Released!

Post by Myrd »

I'm happy to announce the release of Myth II 1.8.1, which is now available for download.

Myth II version 1.8.1 is the latest instalment in Project Magma's series of updates to Myth II. This release is an incremental update, bringing new OS compatibility, additional polishing and bugfixing, plus a few great new features.

Below are some of the highlights of the 1.8.1 update:
  • Ability to host games even when firewalled through a new metaserver proxy.
  • Player pings will now be shown in the multiplayer game lobby (toggled by typing “.ping”).
  • Support for Hi-DPI / Retina displays on Mac OS X and Windows.
  • On Mac OS X, an improved full-screen menu experience that doesn't switch resolutions.
... And many, many more.

Info & Download:
http://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2_181/

Full list of changes in 1.8.1:
http://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2 ... _1.8.1.pdf

Special thanks to all those who participated in our public betas, your feedback was essential to catching and correcting a number of severe issues.

Happy Mything!
Deceiver

Re: Myth II 1.8.1 Released!

Post by Deceiver »

this is amazing news! I just want to thank everyone (again and again) involved in keeping this amazing, epic cult game alive. It deserves to be played for eternity :)

ps: for some reason the installer keeps crashing on macOS sierra. I guess macOS users have to manually install the latest build
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.
wonka

Post by wonka »

I, too, greatly appreciate the bug fixes and new stable update.

Updating my linux-based autohosts now and looking forward to new found stability! Linux installer works like a dream.

As Deceiver mentioned, the Mac installer does not seem to install a working copy. It will say Finished! But when I went to double click on the Myth II (Universal) app icon, it did not load.

Manual installation worked by right clicking the installer on the dmg, selecting Show Package Contents, and dragging over "required.zip.7z" to my Myth II folder. Then unzipping required.zip.7z and placing the appropriate plugins in the plugin folder and the Myth II (Universal).app in the main folder.
wonka

Post by wonka »

Pastebin of system log from install and subsequent loads after manual install

http://pastebin.com/DGWH32K7
akula65

Post by akula65 »

No issues installing or executing on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, openSUSE 13.2 32-bit or openSUSE 13.2 64-bit. I did have to install 32-bit packages for OpenAL and OpenGL libraries in order to get Myth II running on 64-bit openSUSE, but that's to be expected.

Thanks!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

What does console say when you try to launch the Myth II universal that does not load?

EDIT: Actually, I'd like to see the "Myth II (Universal).app" that fails to launch after using the installer. Could you zip it up and attach it? The logs indicate there may be a problem with the contents - either some files are not correct inside the bundle or maybe permission are not correct.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I updated the Mac installer which should make it work on macOS Sierra.

I'd still like to understand why it didn't work for wonka since he wasn't on Sierra so it must have been another problem. wonka, can you try re-running the installer and if you see the error again, zip up your Myth II and post here? I'd like to understand what went wrong there.

EDIT: I've now updated the Mac installer again with hopefully a fix for the issue wonka was seeing. Let me know if anyone runs into problems with the OS X installer again.
wonka

Post by wonka »

I will try and re-install using that same installer right now.

In other news, Chaz the autohost crashed after a handful of games with this seemingly innocuous error (this jumped out at me: "resetting outgoing client queue for player #4"):

Code: Select all

Establishing connection with metaserver at metaserver.gateofstorms.net:6321...
  Connected.
Running Software at 640 x 480
Starting mesh "Appalachian Hot Springs (L8)" with 1 plugin...
	Magma TFL Multipack
Using 1.8.1 gameplay...
Quitting networked game...
Starting mesh "Ground Zero" with 1 plugin...
	Magma TFL Multipack
Using 1.8.1 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Boil and Bubble (Changeling)" with 1 plugin...
	ffaleaguemappackv4
Using 1.8.1 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Whirlwind (Shadow)" with 1 plugin...
	ffaleaguemappackv4
Using 1.8.1 gameplay...
resetting outgoing client queue for player #4
Starting mesh "Lost On Ice (Queens)" with 1 plugin...
	ffaleaguemappackv4
Using 1.8.1 gameplay...

The game crashed before a film was saved on the metaserver, otherwise I would have uploaded that as well.

And I would say that maybe it's the map, but Tootie Ma the autohost has hosted it successfully twice in the last week.
http://gateofstorms.net/games/158621
http://gateofstorms.net/games/158783
wonka

Post by wonka »

OK, I made a new Myth2 folder on my desktop, installed 180, successfully tested that it would open, and then I launched the 181 installer that I downloaded on Oct 1st and I was able to duplicate the "can't be opened" error message after updating.

This is the universal app: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04ej2shypmfs ... MDE0a?dl=1
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Thsnks! Could you try re-downloading the installer and tell me if it still hits the issue? I've updated the installer with a potential fix.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

So after trying it again, my 1.8.1 B434 has the pixel zoom option and it works fine when I put it on 100% (default is set to "use windows settings"). But I have to do it every time I open Myth because it always forgets what setting I put it on.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Platinum wrote:So after trying it again, my 1.8.1 B434 has the pixel zoom option and it works fine when I put it on 100% (default is set to "use windows settings"). But I have to do it every time I open Myth because it always forgets what setting I put it on.
A couple things come to mind:
  • Your preferences file may not be writable. Are you able to save other preferences across sessions?
  • The zoom value will get reset to zero ("use windows settings") if the preference file is written by an older version than 1.8.1
wonka

Post by wonka »

Myrd wrote:Thsnks! Could you try re-downloading the installer and tell me if it still hits the issue? I've updated the installer with a potential fix.
I downloaded the installer again today, updated over the bad 181 final install, and it opens right up without any errors. Thank you.
gkonya

Post by gkonya »

Hi friends,
I have Myth TFL, Myth II and even Myth III TWA original disks.
Tried to download installer files from Project Magma to attempt to use any of these on OS X Sierra today, but I get the following error from the Magma website for every download:
"curl_exec error 7 : couldn't connect to hostProxy Error!"

Any advice?

Thanks
akula65

Post by akula65 »

This is a recurring issue, so please be patient. Sysadmins should have things back in order when the issue is noted, and then the downloads will be available.