Need Help Hex Editing Halo UB for Mac

Talk about anything here.
3371-Alpha

Need Help Hex Editing Halo UB for Mac

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Long story, short, I'm attempting to back-port the HaloMD project to older PPC Macs. But before I do that I'd like to fix a few bugs in Halo's engine (particularly the PPC half of the UB executable). I'm an amateur programmer though (haven't actually done much other than compile a few libraries in the past) so I could use some help. Anyone here have knowledge on hex editing?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (GPU overclocked to 438.75MHz, VRAM to 330.75MHz)
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Need Help Hex Editing Halo UB for Mac

Post by Melekor »

I want to add some new instructions onto my Intel processor. I'm an amateur engineer though (haven't done much other than some basic VHDL in the past) so I could use some help. Anyone here have any knowledge on soldering irons?
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Sarcasm? Maybe I came on a bit too strongly.
Melekor wrote:I want to add some new instructions onto my Intel processor. I'm an amateur engineer though (haven't done much other than some basic VHDL in the past) so I could use some help. Anyone here have any knowledge on soldering irons?
Technically speaking I'm not really planning to add much to Halo, just fix bugs (the game was poorly ported). I could use help (advice mostly) with hex. If you happen to know where you can get a free lesson (or at least on that doesn't cost an arm & a leg) please tell me.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

It's practically impossible to fix bugs in an existing binary just using a hex editor. I don't know where you got this idea but it's very wrong. Binary patching is an expert level task that requires specialized tools and enormous amounts of time and effort.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

According to the guys at both the Oni Forums and MacGamingMods.com it is possible, just very tedious & difficult. Both sites' main projects (HaloMD & Oni AE) have been patched that way. On the other hand, adding new instructions to a pre-assembled microprocessor, now that's impossible (at least without a clean room it is).
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

3371-Alpha wrote:According to the guys at both the Oni Forums and MacGamingMods.com it is possible, just very tedious & difficult. Both sites' main projects (HaloMD & Oni AE) have been patched that way. On the other hand, adding new instructions to a pre-assembled microprocessor, now that's impossible (at least without a clean room it is).

Seems like an awful large amount of work for a game that's been remade on Xbox One classic and remastered.. as well as having a working PC version...

to each their own I guess.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

3371-Alpha wrote:According to the guys at both the Oni Forums and MacGamingMods.com it is possible, just very tedious & difficult. Both sites' main projects (HaloMD & Oni AE) have been patched that way. On the other hand, adding new instructions to a pre-assembled microprocessor, now that's impossible (at least without a clean room it is).
The tools you would use to accomplish such a task are:

disassembler, debugger, assembler and/or compiler, as well as custom patching tools that you will have to build.

Notice that hex editor is not in the list. I didn't read your links but I can pretty much guarantee you that no one is doing any serious reverse engineering or patching using a hex editor. It is not impossible in theory, but in practice it is essentially impossible and no one would do it because there are better ways.

I don't think you understand how your question sounds to someone who actually understands what you're asking. That is what I was trying to convey with my analogy to using a soldering iron to patch a processor. You are at such a newb level that you have no clue of the difficulty of what you are suggesting, and you aren't even asking the right questions yet.

If you are serious about doing this, you can look forward to spending literally hundreds, possibly even thousands of hours learning the required skills.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Regardless of what it takes, could you help me? The game was horribly ported (dozens of byteswap errors, ect.). I'm tired of it crashing.
DarthRevan555 wrote:Seems like an awful large amount of work for a game that's been remade on Xbox One classic and remastered.. as well as having a working PC version...
True, but I don't have to pay for XBox Live if I use the Mac version. Also, I don't own a PC.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

3371-Alpha wrote:Regardless of what it takes, could you help me? The game was horribly ported (dozens of byteswap errors, ect.). I'm tired of it crashing.
DarthRevan555 wrote:Seems like an awful large amount of work for a game that's been remade on Xbox One classic and remastered.. as well as having a working PC version...
True, but I don't have to pay for XBox Live if I use the Mac version. Also, I don't own a PC.
If you are smart enough to accomplish such a task, then you can easily earn $100k/year working for a big company, doing things that are actually valuable. Then you won't have a problem paying for XBox Live.

Even the cost of buying a brand new PC would be like chump change compared to the cost of hiring someone to reverse engineer and patch the binary for a game you don't have source for.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

My OCD is kicking in and forcing me to point out that you can just buy the games no XBL required (Unless you want mutliplayer)[I'm a rare sap who plays Halo for the narratives fIrst]

I'm sure by now, especially with Xbone S on the horizon, you can find an Xbone bundle with Halo 5 or MCC and all sorts of goodies for substantially less than retail msrp.

Or you could spend years re-coding a broken port for a game that wasn't even meant for pc/mac in the first place.
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

One mooooore thing! (guess where that's from)

This forum really is a bad place to be looking for help with Halo related stuff.

Might I suggest Halo Waypoint I think it's called, basically a more halo oriented forum I think 343i actually interacts with the playerbase.
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Here is forum for discuss myth scripts hex editing and not Halo ... :wink:
except maybe if it was a Myth MOD total conversion Halo :mrgreen:
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

juliocpaes wrote:Here is forum for discuss myth scripts hex editing and not Halo ... :wink:
Ok, I just assumed that because both Myth & Halo were Bungie games there would be fans of both games in this community & you'd be willing to help out...nevmind then.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

It's the general discussion forum, please feel free to talk about whatever. That isn't the problem here..
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

3371-Alpha wrote:
juliocpaes wrote:Here is forum for discuss myth scripts hex editing and not Halo ... :wink:
Ok, I just assumed that because both Myth & Halo were Bungie games there would be fans of both games in this community & you'd be willing to help out...nevmind then.
please feel free to talk about whatever. :mrgreen: