Teleporting bottle bug

Talk about anything here.
killerking

Teleporting bottle bug

Post by killerking »

Hi guys,

Renwood brought a bug to my attention. In some instances it seems to happen that a dwarven bottle hits a unit (above the ground level, let's say it hits his head) and is then instantly teleported to the ground (below the location of impact, thus at the feet of the unit) and converted to a dud.
I've attached a film of the issue (bug @ 10:27).

p.s. I'm aware that Renwood and Magma aren't best friends but this seemed worth mentioning over here
Attachments
Teleportin-Bottle_pus-bug10_26.zip
(25.3 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
juliocpaes

Re: Teleporting bottle bug

Post by juliocpaes »

killerking wrote:Hi guys,

Renwood brought a bug to my attention. In some instances it seems to happen that a dwarven bottle hits a unit (above the ground level, let's say it hits his head) and is then instantly teleported to the ground (below the location of impact, thus at the feet of the unit) and converted to a dud.
I've attached a film of the issue (bug @ 10:27).

p.s. I'm aware that Renwood and Magma aren't best friends but this seemed worth mentioning over here
the library map is Bungie's production and not Magma, though "Renwood brought a bug to your attention" he as "Divine entity of map making" then he should know to fix.

"Renwood and Magma aren't best friends" I suppose he was banned for technical reasons related rules of the forum, and not by personal problems.

Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Thanks for the film. We'll take a look.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Debugged this a little bit. This is an old bug from the original Bungie code (happens if I switch to 1.3 mode in my debug build right before this happens.)

What actually happens is that while calculating the next position of the projectile, the engine detects it would collide with a thrall. It then adjust the object position to bounce off the thrall instead. Except the new position it calculated for the object collides with a different thrall. So it just gives up entirely and drops the projectile on the ground. (Yes, I was surprised that's what it does - but I guess the scenario must be rare enough in practice that it doesn't happen very often...). Interestingly, when this happens, the game doesn't treat it as having collided with anything, which is why it also doesn't detonate.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Myrd wrote:Debugged this a little bit. This is an old bug from the original Bungie code (happens if I switch to 1.3 mode in my debug build right before this happens.)
What actually happens is that while calculating the next position of the projectile, the engine detects it would collide with a thrall. It then adjust the object position to bounce off the thrall instead. Except the new position it calculated for the object collides with a different thrall. So it just gives up entirely and drops the projectile on the ground. (Yes, I was surprised that's what it does - but I guess the scenario must be rare enough in practice that it doesn't happen very often...).

Playing with the code a bit, it seems we can get a better result just stopping the projectile completely without changing its z location to ground level. Then, it just falls naturally due to gravity.
Renwood2016

Post by Renwood2016 »

Thanks Myrd for getting to the heart of this Teleporting bottle/pus bug! AWESOME!

About the potential feature of a Join Games In Progress Option for myth. I know that You'd need to resimulate the lockstep "film" on the client at a much faster rate until they match the host machine's time
A lot of the mobas do this, since their engines are still refactored rts engines, and punkuser said his Myth engine film steaming kinda has parts of the foundation laid for what could be used as part of Join games in progress.

Here was the Original post I made about Teleporting bottle/pus on Dec 9th. And below that, are ideas I had for really spiffie potential myth engine build features:

Noticed a Bug many times over the last 2 years
Postby Renwood » December 9th, 2015, 12:55 am
Ok this has got to be a bug, I have never seen anybody else mention it, as it happens rarely, but could really screw up tournies and other high level play.

I notice it only seems to happen when the units targeted are tightly clumped together. For example, you throw a pus at some thrall clump, it hits one of the thrall directly in the chest. THEN the pus bit INSTANTLY warps to the ground at their feet and does not bounce at all. Just appears at their feet all of a sudden. It is like the pus did not even register the first contact with the thrall, so since the pus WOULD of had a 50% chance to explode per bounce, it never gets at 50% chance calculated. Because when it "hit" the thrall it didn't count as 1 contact/bounce.

I have even seen this happen WITH DORF BOTTLES! Hit a clump of guys, instantly the bottle warps to the ground and now its not even lit. Also not getting its 90% chance to detonate per bounce/contact/hit to explode. I have also only noticed this happen when the units hit are walking forward INTO the incoming object. I also wonder if this phenomenon might have been the culprit of a lot of the people thinking there were MORE duds a few years back.

I was playing library the other day and I saw this happen with a dorf bottle. I said to everybody what happened in game when I saw it occur. I will try to find that film. Anybody else ever see this happen? Its a much bigger problem then the HGH turning bug, sice HGH are hardly on any maps at all. Since magma made sure to fix that bug, I would think they would be interested in this bug also. Lets call it the "teleporting to ground upon contact explosive projectile bug"

I have not noticed this happen with arrows, but they are slashing damage in fear so maybe they are not affected or to small to even notice when they warp to the ground when they hit their target. Ok just found the film, at exactly 10 mins and 26 seconds in, indicator's dwarf throws a bottle and it hits a clump of thrall and teleports to its feet. Instantly stops burning, then gets detonated by the next bottle the dwarf throws.
Teleportin Bottle_pus bug@10_26.zip
happens at 10:26
(25.3 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Here is some idea I posted in response to a thread on GOS and future myth build features:

I second that Parpar. As punk knows I also have begged him for the addition of join games in progress or at least players who get dropped to be able to rejoin. This is the #1 thing that would be awesome if ever added.

Well, sometimes playing myth seems like the controls it gives you, its like trying to paint on a canvas with hands made out of pudding. Just not enough finite accurate control to do all that is required during intense combat.

For example, If I have a few melee selected and there is a big melee clump fight with my dudes vs some enemy dudes and maybe one of the enemies like a Maul breaks off from the clump to kill my fetch or something, I cant just click my selected zerks (more then 1) and tell them to kill the maul. If the maul is still kinda close to his teammates, it will highlight all the mauls.

If I shift click the Maul with my zerks, it will highlight ALL the nearby enemies of any type. So if I want to maybe lets say, just use a preset to select my zerks, They will not target the 1 maul going after my fetch, they will target ALL the Mauls or ALL the nearby enemy units. So I have to click a few zerks and tell each one separately to attack the Maul. Because if the Maul has any health hes going to kill the fetch real quick and 1 zerk aint gonna save the fetch in time. So we need some simple modifier key to tell multiple units to attack just 1 enemy in a group of enemies.

Another thing I always wanted was the ability to use a T or special command to attack the ground that is currently occupied by friendly or enemy units. Because you cant use a special and attack the ground if the ground currently has friendlies or enemies near it or on it
So if you want to shoot a fire arrow at the ground to ignite satchels, if some dudes are about to walk over the satch, myth will think you tried to click the guys and then it will lead the targets and make the fire arrow miss where you WANTED it to land.

This also applies for any other special T attack where you need to attack the ground
We need a modifier key for special T attacks to attack ground that works the same way ctrl click to attack ground works with dorfs or archers. As in with ctrl click you can attack the ground regardless if it is currently covered with enemy and friendly units.

Forever (for like 17 years) I have heard people who play myth casually WISH there was a way for when they are CAPTAIN to not accidentally select the other teammates units. THIS SHOULD BE A HOST OPTION CHECKBOX that can be turned on or off. I say this because I know some people will bitch to no end about a change to this, so it should be a host's option to allow it or not in game.

I believe this way it would be awesome to have the captain ONLY be able to control other teammate's units when the captain owns them/they are detached from the teammate to the captain. You see the major problems with NOT having this option when you team with newer people in free for all or 2 team games and you see people yelling and getting pissed at their captains for controlling their units "STOP CONTROLLING MY FING UNITS!!!"

A NOTE about join games in progress. We are right now making NEXT LEVEL Myth maps that are an order of magnitude larger then the biggest myth maps ever made. The idea is to use them in COOP in games that last many hours as required to make it from 1 side of the map to the other.

These super giant maps are being made specifically to utilize the potential inclusion of a Join Game In Progress feature in myth(OPTIMISM!). This would be 1 step away from PERSISTENT Myth world servers. With lots of scripted things going on, and take 2 or 3 hours to take a warrior or archers + dorfs all the way across the maps on maps that are like 8 square miles of area. Our Current map is 8192 X 8192.

I have done tests to show that 16384 x 16384 size maps are possible as well. But with a game that could last hours or at least an autohosted game that could have been started hours ago, it would a great idea to have the ability to REJOIN the game if you get disconnected.

Is this something that we could donate to in order to get implemented or something? Also punk has talked about how his steaming Myth engine films is kinda laying the groundwork for how Join Games in progress would be included. Really looking forward to the next build of myth. This would also be an awesome reason to increase the player limit.

Seeing as how a 10 min film of my running around on Venice solo and shooting arrows and dorf bottles and all over resulted in a film nearly exactly 100kb that is only 16.6 BYTES per second. X 256 players that would only be 4.2 KB a second for the host. I know the film size and thus the bandwidth is variable and goes up with more players in game.

I have a 10 min film with 1:30 planning time and 9 players that ends when the time limit is reached. that film is only 117kb for 10 mins! so around 17BYTES per second. This is highly scale-able up hundreds of players. And only the HOST itself needs that larger bandwidth and not each player connected. (But you guys already know that)

As always I am interested in helping to test a lot and make reports to help with a more polished final Myth build product.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Renwood2016 wrote : " ...As always I am interested in helping to test a lot and make reports to help with a more polished final Myth build product"
Hi Ren, welcome "renwood2016" :)

make some plugins for us (*maps and units) but, but You understand please: *it have to be free :wink: