Magma Texture Pack

Talk about anything here.
Sword Ring

Magma Texture Pack

Post by Sword Ring »

Too lazy to search around, but wondering if there are any planned updates to the Magma textures planned, and whether request for maps are being taken at all.

Cheers.
DarthRevan555

Re: Magma Texture Pack

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Dunno about Magma but If there is enough interest I may re visit my texture pack and update it some more (fix or add detail in current maplist as well as add any maps that are requested)

I try to only texture most played maps or good coop.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

So many good ones out there, untextured. Even odd ones like "If I Had Lederhosen". Where to start? Hah!
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

There was 1 map I missed on the original run that someone had requested, always wanted to go back and do that. Maybe if there's enough requests, I might come back and make a 1.1 or something.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Soma's "lost" map is now in The Tain. You might find it worthy, if only for a one-off.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Sword Ring wrote:Soma's "lost" map is now in The Tain. You might find it worthy, if only for a one-off.

Not a fan of the dark rocks, makes texturing them boring since the black hides any detail really..

Map itself was decent, I think you over praised it ;) was a little disappointing heheh

Anyways.. here is your one-off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjeawl7isxs0y ... e.zip?dl=0

Drag to plugins and myth does the rest.
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Thanks, mate.

As for the Soma map, all a matter of preference. The rocks didn't bother me, and look normal on the Retina screen.

Anyway, I prefer the old school style of play, having started when TFL was released. For that, I think the map works quite great. The few people I play with, privately, agree. None of us are huge fans of the "stand in the middle whilst being rushed from all sides by various kitchen utensils" stuff. Sadly, that seems to be all that really remains of Myth, these days...
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Sword Ring wrote:Thanks, mate.

As for the Soma map, all a matter of preference. The rocks didn't bother me, and look normal on the Retina screen.

Anyway, I prefer the old school style of play, having started when TFL was released. For that, I think the map works quite great. The few people I play with, privately, agree. None of us are huge fans of the "stand in the middle whilst being rushed from all sides by various kitchen utensils" stuff. Sadly, that seems to be all that really remains of Myth, these days...

I wasn't referring to the map gameplay it looked fine. I was talking about the color map, map wasn't as pretty as I was expecting.

Not really what remains of myth.. Just host a game and people will join those if they are truly tired of endless proving grounds games. That statements of myth games annoy the hell out of me :p
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Ah. Apologies.

Yes, well, it's a Soma mesh. So, that's reason enough, right? Hah!

As for the state of affairs, it reminds me not-so-fondly of the days when you'd try and get a good game on Bungie.net servers, only to find the rooms bursting from the seams with unshowered hoards engaged in "Trow" and "Plains"...over and over and over and over again.

So many interesting maps, and yet so many squatted on those two. This is a time, of course, when thousands were clamouring to play, and not just 6.

So now it's "Proving," is it? Strange. Lack of imagination? Cowardice? What is it, exactly, that makes these people run the same maps over and over and over? It's not a modern thing, since it was just as bad in 1998, or so.

Weird.

Speaking of that, I just re-discovered two strange incarnations of Proving. They're actually kinda cool. One's a snow mesh, the other's been re-done by a Japanese group, with a new colourmap and everything (in a Football motif).

Hmm. Maybe I need to keep off-loading some of these old plugs. Perhaps we can purge these poisons from the body.

Right.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Sword Ring wrote:
So many interesting maps, and yet so many squatted on those two. This is a time, of course, when thousands were clamouring to play, and not just 6.

So now it's "Proving," is it? Strange. Lack of imagination? Cowardice? What is it, exactly, that makes these people run the same maps over and over and over? It's not a modern thing, since it was just as bad in 1998, or so.

Weird.
My completely unresearched and uneducated guess is that maps like Proving/Killing Grounds are favored by players who don't like unpredictability and want 'pure' skill at micromanaging units to ALWAYS be the only determining factor in who wins a game. Maps with differences in terrain add another element into the mix which players can't control - which a 'less skilled' (in their minds) player could exploit to eke out a win over a 'better' player. This is also why (I think) a lot of 'competitive' Myth players have argued over the years that dwarves shouldn't have any chance of bottles being duds.

That said, I don't believe everyone who likes that map likes it for that reason, nor do all competitive players think alike. This is just a general impression I've gotten from reading people talking about maps and reasons they don't like them.
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Very interesting analysis on the minds of such "players".

Frankly, people who play in that manner aren't gamers, but obsessives. Winning and being right is what matters, above all else. False sense of safety, as well. In real life, probably unbearable egotist individuals, with Drudge Report on speed-dial.

Winning is great---and I've done my share---but losing can be fun, too. All of it is learning.

If you can't think tactically nor strategically when playing varied maps, you're not much of a player, in my opinion. What's the challenge in doing the same thing over and over again?
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Sword Ring wrote:Very interesting analysis on the minds of such "players".

Frankly, people who play in that manner aren't gamers, but obsessives. Winning and being right is what matters, above all else. False sense of safety, as well. In real life, probably unbearable egotist individuals, with Drudge Report on speed-dial.
You've just described 95% of modern 'competitive' players.

Co-Op players on the other hand... they're insane and apparently love abuse.

Just ask Fury.
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here