The Tain and Mod Repository Alternatives?

Talk about anything here.
StalKeR

The Tain and Mod Repository Alternatives?

Post by StalKeR »

Hi again guys, i come back to modding and play online games in Myth and i wondered about:
What happened with The Tain Repository? still down since 2 weeks ago. Ill try to enter on the site with Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Explorer, Safari. Even trying some proxys without success. And believe me, I continually trying every day, and today being the boundary to deplete my patience. So its official guys? The tain Repository falls and being abandoned?

I read a bunch of post here talking about The tain repository but no one reply with some light about the issue. Just: "they now the problem, but they are busy to do something" So... what happened with the 1st MYTH-MODS repository? and with the hard work of every single Author? Sad guys... sad...Theres no alternative for share mods, or download/upload new ones. MODS/Plugins makes myth community alive, versatile, funny, interesting.

When i join GateOfStorms master server and when i wanna join a game with a "x" plugin requirement for play.... How am I supposed to find it if The Tain repository is dead and no one helps. I just find 1 alternative: udogs. but.... sincerely is the most worst web ive never seen in the last two decades. Confusing, basic, and if you really want to find a "X" plugin and you can lose like five hours trying to find it.

Yesterday i really wanna play with another 6 good friends in a host called: Gladiators, Depredation... but... where WHERE WHERE AND HOW can i find this god damn plugin?
jesus guys! udogs? OH COME ON! if you dont know the name of the author and knows where he upload the god damn .zip in a abominable web with 2000 subdirectories with 400 authors... and of course this is not the end... you need to know the plugin version, and probably is not the same original author that made that new conversion.

So great fellas, great masters.... bring us some light please.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: The Tain and Mod Repository Alternatives?

Post by Pyro »

The Tain is not dead. It has an issue and the Tain admins have been busy so no one has fixed the issue permanently. They can however, restart the part of the Tain that has the problem. No one is looking at it daily so no one spots it when it is down except other people that don't say anything. I just emailed the Tain admins, I'm sure one of them will restart it later today. So come back later or even tomorrow and it should be up.

As for the udogs hotline. It is quite useful if you are using it correctly. It was around before the Tain was completed. It allows mapmakers (modders) to upload their plugins while they are still in beta (work in progress). The final versions going on the Tain when they are done with them. The plugin you are talking about is not a beta, and is probably not on udogs. What goes on udogs is up to the mapmakers.

Searching in it is pretty easy. You can use google for this. For example if you were looking for "gladiators" in udogs you would type it in Google as shown here. That should help you with searching other specific sites, not just udogs.

Once you know who made a plugin, you know which folder to always check if there is a new version. But I'm pretty sure the version of Gladiators you were talking about is not on udogs at this moment. Give it a day and the Tain should be back up again.

EDIT: Looks like it is up again.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Admin Last visit times:

WazzaMouse Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 am
StoneCold Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Doobie Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:28 pm
iron -
Nae'blis Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 pm
haravikk Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:10 am
Death's Avatar Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:00 pm

That could be part of the problem.
StalKeR

Post by StalKeR »

Pyro wrote:The Tain is not dead. It has an issue and the Tain admins have been busy so no one has fixed the issue permanently. They can however, restart the part of the Tain that has the problem. No one is looking at it daily so no one spots it when it is down except other people that don't say anything. I just emailed the Tain admins, I'm sure one of them will restart it later today. So come back later or even tomorrow and it should be up.
Almost we now that The tain still alive.
Yeah i check right now, and The Tain its up! :D thanks!
Pyro wrote:As for the udogs hotline. It is quite useful if you are using it correctly. It was around before the Tain was completed. It allows mapmakers (modders) to upload their plugins while they are still in beta (work in progress). The final versions going on the Tain when they are done with them. The plugin you are talking about is not a beta, and is probably not on udogs. What goes on udogs is up to the mapmakers.

Searching in it is pretty easy. You can use google for this. For example if you were looking for "gladiators" in udogs you would type it in Google as shown here. That should help you with searching other specific sites, not just udogs.

Once you know who made a plugin, you know which folder to always check if there is a new version. But I'm pretty sure the version of Gladiators you were talking about is not on udogs at this moment. Give it a day and the Tain should be back up again.

EDIT: Looks like it is up again.
Good to know, but stills ugly and primitive, very annoying to use :/
we just have these 2 alternatives: The tain and udogs?
GodzFire wrote:Admin Last visit times:

:shock: For real? :facepalm:
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

StalKeR wrote:Good to know, but stills ugly and primitive, very annoying to use :/
we just have these 2 alternatives: The tain and udogs?
You don't need any more options. You are just not using it the same way others would use it. Try using a bookmark to the User Uploads. Then if you know who's plugin you are getting you already narrowed it down. Less clicking around.

Yeah, it is basic, but you know what that means? Less things can break on it and therefore it is less likely to go down like other sites. Some plugins might have a URL telling you who's folder to go to. Then you only have that one folder to look through to find the plugin you want. The name of the plugin will tell you the version to get. It usually will be the number that comes after all the other old versions.
StalKeR wrote:
GodzFire wrote:Admin Last visit times:

:shock: For real? :facepalm:
No. There have been many admins throughout the years. Some more active than others. Most of the admins he lists haven't been using any of their admin abilities for the past decade. He did not even list the admins that have been using their admin abilities and are still active. Not all admins have the same access.
StalKeR

Post by StalKeR »

thanks for your information Pyro. Yes, I know what youre talking about when you speak about the website performance/optimized. And yeah thats true you are right.

Okey udogs isnt The Tain Repository. is just a "developer-beta testing/fast storage viceversa..."
I have nothing against dogs website. Thanks to them we have available many plugins, tools and great work of other authors, and Shared freely Yay!. It is only their design and interface to work on. But is ok Pyro!

out of curiosity. Since when The Tain is online? Forum/Repository
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

and if there's something you can't find on the Tain or uDogs or they are both down you can always ask here. Usually if anyone has a copy of a plugin someone is looking for they will share it.

I would set up a mirror but haven't found a really cheap storage alternative for that much content that has built-in protections from huge download bills if someone decides to download everything in the archive. Amazon S3 would be perfect but doesn't provide any way to limit the # of downloads or the amount of data downloaded on a monthly basis, and since you(I) would pay for every download, that's a deal breaker.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

StalKeR wrote:out of curiosity. Since when The Tain is online? Forum/Repository
Well if by Tain forums you mean these forums, it existed before the Tain was being worked on. It was only known as the Project Magma forums back then, now it has two names since the Tain forums are the same as the Project Magma forums. I recall the Magma forums went down at some point and we started fresh again back in 2004. So anything before that was lost. The old forums looked like this.

As for the Tain repository, it has been a long time. I had to search the forums here for an answer. I know it had been worked on for what seems to be years. Probably abandoned and/or restarted at least once along the way by different people. I see there were posts of the Tain being worked on back in 2004, but it only opened up in February of 2007 judging by this old thread and archived Project Magma news from 2007. Came out in time for the Myth II v1.6 update release.