Possible to Mod Myth II?

Talk about anything here.
Veron

Possible to Mod Myth II?

Post by Veron »

Hi there, I'm new here. I recently got a copy of Myth 2 Soulblighter and I wanted to get back into the game since I haven't played it in years. I was wondering, is it possible to mod this game? I know back in the day there were tools for it, etc. But I don't know if they still exist. I remember a relative of mine changing the units in the game to enemy units so I don't know how that was pulled off. You could replace warriors with Ghouls, etc. Can you still do stuff like this? Or can you not anymore? Any information would be nice, thanks. :)
juliocpaes

Re: Possible to Mod Myth II?

Post by juliocpaes »

Veron wrote:Hi there, I'm new here. I recently got a copy of Myth 2 Soulblighter and I wanted to get back into the game since I haven't played it in years. I was wondering, is it possible to mod this game? I know back in the day there were tools for it, etc. But I don't know if they still exist. I remember a relative of mine changing the units in the game to enemy units so I don't know how that was pulled off. You could replace warriors with Ghouls, etc. Can you still do stuff like this? Or can you not anymore? Any information would be nice, thanks. :)
Veron,

"replace warriors with Ghouls, etc."

it is possible, through the tools "loathing and fear", are in the local installation folder of your myth.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

14.99 map packs. Tools come with a season pass.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yes, it is still possible to mod the game. When you run the update for Myth 2 there is an option for the mapmaking tools. Make sure to enable that option so that the tools Fear and Loathing are placed in your Myth II folder including some mapmaking documents that you can use as reference material to know what each option in those tools are for.

There are other tools depending on what you want to do and change. If you just want to do something simple like replace all Warriors with Ghols, then you use Fear. Find the "unit" tag for warriors and edit it to use the ghol instead. Feel free to play around with the tools to get a feel for what each tag is for. The "unit" tag links matching "monster" and "collection reference" tags together. The "monster" tag contains the main data for a unit. The "collection reference" keeps the data for what colors they will use in game.

If you want to add units to the map rather than replace what is there, you can use Loathing for this. Loathing is the map editor and let's you edit what is placed on the maps.

Keep in mind, if you open tags and you do not intend to alter them, cancel rather than click OK in Fear or the file gets saved as altered. All altered tags will be found in your "local" folder. You can delete that folder if you want to start fresh. The game ignores most of the local folder if you are on the metaserver. To convert what you have in your local folder into a plugin, use Fear (File > build plugin). Then delete or just rename your local folder so it does not interfere.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

also, for another description of changing one unit for another,. http://mythgraveyard.org/003707