Windows 8.1 Adaptive Brightness

Talk about anything here.
Platinum

Windows 8.1 Adaptive Brightness

Post by Platinum »

Anyone have Windows 8 on their laptop and/or desktop and have issues with the screen brightening and dimming based on the background color of the screen you are on? I.e. on a white screen, the screen gets brighter automatically, and with a screen with dark colors, it gets dimmer. I have DISABLED "Adaptive Brightness" and adjusted all the power levels to make sure everything automatic was turned off. Even after spending an hour with Dell tech support, and updating the drivers and software, it STILL comes back. It is so irritating and annoying, because playing myth makes it dim, and the usually bright neon green selection boxes and dots on the overhead map are basically dimmed and grayed out, along with the gesture click circles and attack ground symbol.

Just wondering if anyone has also had this issue and/or gotten it corrected. No I'm not buying a Mac just to avoid this issue.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Windows 8.1 Adaptive Brightness

Post by Pyro »

I have a Windows 8 desktop and I don't have that issue. Does your screen only dim for Myth? If you press Alt-Enter to make Myth go into windowed mode while in a game (try a solo) does it change your screen brightness? If it does, check Myth preferences.

Is your Gamma slider at around the middle or slightly to the right of the middle? If not, that could be the problem. Double click the slider to reset it near middle. If the bar is too much to the left it dims your screen. Too much to the right will brighten your screen. It doesn't work in windowed mode but does if you are fullscreen using automatic or fullscreen mode in prefs.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Sorry but its not just a Myth-isolated issue. Its the computer itself. Switching between browser tabs you can see the screen INSTANTLY either brightens or darkens depending on the background colors.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Well another option then is to disable that option from whatever control panel option Intel has for its graphics. For example, turn off "display power saving technology" if you can find it. It might look something like this.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Ah I just did that. I'll see if that helps thanks. I did it a while ago, looks like it reverted with the never ending auto updates.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Pyro wrote:I have a Windows 8 desktop a
Pyro has committed original sin.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures