Deadhold

Talk about anything here.
juliocpaes

Re: Deadhold

Post by juliocpaes »

will have units M2 exported for DeadHold...? :)

IN DEADHOLD, I'LL FEEL MISS YOU ( OF DWARF, BERSERK, WARRIOR, BOWMAN AND OTHERS) ... :?
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

You asked "what's a big improvement we can make on Myth", and I think it came to me.

Y'know how in Myth the map is basically a single 2D plane with z-coords on each point? You can put models that go over the top like gatehouses and stuff, but basically you're confined to never having more than one z-level in a map. That's what needs to change.

Is there a reason my dwarf (or whatever, I'm just speaking in Myth terms, I'd love to see something original in this game) can't stand out on the edge of a rock that juts over some path and start raining fire on the guys below? And then the guys being attacked hide under the rock for cover. That is actually impossible in Myth, because the rock jutting out has to be a model, and the ground underneath it has to be ground colored 3d model that no one can walk on. There's no reason for it to be like that in Deadhold.

Instead of "ground mesh" and "3d model", just build it like you would any modern FPS, fuck any modern game at all. Have your guys running all over everything. Have them be able to jump down short ledges. Let them climb up stairs in watchtowers and shit.

Just a thought.
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
Garrick

Post by Garrick »

On the topic of random chance in deadhold,

I personally sit somewhere in between the two camps. Part of me believes it keeps the game interesting and more exciting. I also agree that player winning or losing from random chance events tends to even out over time. With that being said, I think players should have more control over this aspect of the game or that it's impact should be limited. For example, I think players should have the option, if they wish, to remove duds from a game simply by clicking a box as a pre-game setting. Furthermore, random chance events should be exceptionally rare. If a dwarf or sapper or what have you is dudding too often the unit will be unreliable, unpredictable, and ultimately under used. Finding the right balance will be difficult.
fisj

Post by fisj »

@Da Cid

Done. If you check out our recent MP tests, you'll see we've got true bridges in there, and a lot of LOS ruins geo. Also, part of our camera allowing pitch when orbiting is to give players greater opportunity to look around line of sight geometry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PfZ3nInq60

We're thinking a lot about this particular issue, and it has pretty big consequences for gameplay, but fortunately doesn't deviate from core Myth, just enhances it, IMHO.

@Garrick

Nobody complains about archer randomness, it's always about puss throws and molotovs not going off. A lot of time and risk is spent to set up the positioning for a big explosive payoff, and when those fail that really hurts the game.

My current thinking is adding something akin to "cooking" a throw. You have a dwarf and you ctrl click the ground, but you hold it, and the longer you hold it, the more reliable the throw is until it hits 100%, then you release the mouse. This might be as little as 1.5 seconds, but it allows players to trade time for reliability. There's also a degree of timing and skill here, which I like.

It's just an idea at this stage, but I'd like to build this in and see how it goes. Thoughts?

-fisj
killerking

Post by killerking »

The whole point of pus throw is that it needs to be performed unexpectedly and fast! So I don't think that idea would benefit the gameplay Fisj, even 1.5 seconds might be too much.
Garrick

Post by Garrick »

fisj wrote:@Da Cid

Done. If you check out our recent MP tests, you'll see we've got true bridges in there, and a lot of LOS ruins geo. Also, part of our camera allowing pitch when orbiting is to give players greater opportunity to look around line of sight geometry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PfZ3nInq60

We're thinking a lot about this particular issue, and it has pretty big consequences for gameplay, but fortunately doesn't deviate from core Myth, just enhances it, IMHO.

@Garrick

Nobody complains about archer randomness, it's always about puss throws and molotovs not going off. A lot of time and risk is spent to set up the positioning for a big explosive payoff, and when those fail that really hurts the game.

My current thinking is adding something akin to "cooking" a throw. You have a dwarf and you ctrl click the ground, but you hold it, and the longer you hold it, the more reliable the throw is until it hits 100%, then you release the mouse. This might be as little as 1.5 seconds, but it allows players to trade time for reliability. There's also a degree of timing and skill here, which I like.

It's just an idea at this stage, but I'd like to build this in and see how it goes. Thoughts?

-fisj

Haha, isn't that the truth. Just had a game today where my mortar dwarf produced two illy timed duds in a row. It can be amazingly frustrating sometimes!

I like the idea of cooking in addition to the capability of a normal throw. It would be beneficial in situations where one good shot is needed post haste. I do agree with killer mind you that the delay could be detrimental. In a rush situation, for example, a player might have time for two or three throws if they're lucky. Too long a delay and they might only have time for one! Add in puss pressure and you might be in big trouble. With that being said, I think allowing the unit to also throw as normal would addresses this problem.

Another idea (Warning: Might be extremely stupid!) is basing dud chance on previous results. Say you have a base chance of 10% and your sapper, the beautiful little shit, decides to throw a dud. OH NO! NOT A DUD! but wait, his next throw will not dud! Why? because the dud from the previous throw reduces his 'dud chance' to 0% or perhaps 5% on the following throw. I guess it would work something like this...

Throw #1 - Dud Chance 10% - Result: Dud

Throw #2 - Dud Chance 0% - Result : Explosion

Throw #3 - Dud Chance 5% - Result : Explosion

Throw #4 - Dud Chance 10% - Result: Explosion

Throw #5 - Dud Chance 10% (the chance would never climb above the base rate)

Etc.

Anyhow, just a thought. Keep up the good work you guys. :wink:
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I dunno, duds are pretty great. I do like the cooking off idea though.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

The idea of cooking the bomb is great! And if you cook it too long, BOOM! :)
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
lank

Post by lank »

iron wrote:Deadhold has brought me back to these forums for the first time in months, and I'm very glad fisj to see you post here. My earliest memory of the Myth community was the mapmaking forum on your old vistacartel site, and I'm really happy to see you guys are still working together & that finally a myth-like game is under development, something I've longed to see happen for too many years and had all but given up on.

If there's anything I can do to help please let me know :)
This whole thread is fantastic news! I've been (and still am) busy with life and all - a bit too much to offer any meaningful help, sadly - but my story is much the same as Iron's. (BTW, fisj, I appreciate your indulgence of mine and Captain Red's silliness on those old forums back in the day - good times!)

Wishing you lots of luck, and I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it's going. :D
*toot*
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

lank wrote:(BTW, fisj, I appreciate your indulgence of mine and Captain Red's silliness on those old forums back in the day - good times!)
Indulgence? More like ignoring what you guys (and to a lesser extent me) did in the Jinn forum for months on end before finally discovering it and closing the forum down ;0

Oh and hey there lank, good to see you're still around :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

Guys this is of course everything's cool, but please do so that, when the murder of a cutting or thrusting weapon, the character is not falling apart, and it would be better fell his dead body.
fisj

Post by fisj »

We'll be adding soft body deaths soon(tm), there are some ragdoll issues that are hard to work with for now. As you might imagine, we've got about a bazillion things on a list, and we're working through the stuff that's gameplay critical first. :)

-fisj
lank

Post by lank »

iron wrote:
lank wrote:(BTW, fisj, I appreciate your indulgence of mine and Captain Red's silliness on those old forums back in the day - good times!)
Indulgence? More like ignoring what you guys (and to a lesser extent me) did in the Jinn forum for months on end before finally discovering it and closing the forum down ;0
Granted, but in our defence it was keeping the forum alive during a very quiet period during Jinn's development. :P

Actually the pie fights were a ridiculous abuse of the forum, considering its stated purpose, but it was fun while it lasted. Ultimately it was good to play Jinn in the end. :)
Oh and hey there lank, good to see you're still around :)
Likewise, Iron! Not dead yet. Gosh, time flies, though!
*toot*
fisj

Post by fisj »

Quick update,

We're gearing up for semi regular closed playtests, but also getting the ball rolling on the community side of things.

1) I just set up a Newsletter & Alpha Signup page. Please sign up if you're interested in testing our alpha, and or general news updates. We have a small group that's helping us test internally, but we'll be drawing more and more people from this list as we're ready to grow the playtest group.

http://deadhold.us9.list-manage.com/sub ... aefe45c825

2) We have an IRC channel. I'm usually around in the evenings (EST) and we have some old school members and Australians. I personally prefer the realtime chat stuff the best. Come shoot the breeze with us sometime. :D

A) https://gamesurge.net/chat/
B) Enter your Nickname
C) Type "/join #deadhold"

3) Deadhold forums will be coming soon. They're primarily being used as testing feedback right now, but once we start bringing in more people for tests we'll open them up.

Other news:

We're still dropping in major systems. So please forgive us for the irregular updates, we want to make sure we've got things to a minimum playable state before we really start the ball rolling publicly.

As usual, if you have any questions you can always reach me via email at "fisj@deadhold.com"

Thanks all!

-fisj
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I never saw if this was crossplatform or not.