Myth II multiplayer against AI

Talk about anything here.
bibari

Myth II multiplayer against AI

Post by bibari »

Hello! First time poster here, had a question about Myth II/Myth in general that has been bugging me. I just got back into the game after about 14 years of retirement, and I'm trying to remember how to play multiplayer games against the AI. There was some way, when creating a new game, you could hold down some keys and start a multiplayer game ( through tCP/IP) and instead of it just being your army, there would be a computer generated/controlled AI opponent. Any help would be most appreciated!
Graydon

Re: Myth II multiplayer against AI

Post by Graydon »

This has never existed.... you're mis-remembering the old days. What you're describing is a bug you could initiate for SOLO maps, to convert it to a Light vs Dark 2 team multi scenario, where one team would get the light forces and another would get the dark. There has never been a bug like this in reverse to create AI on a multi map.

You may also be remembering a particular plugin called "Wabe in the Gimble" which was actually a single player mesh built around the Lmoth gametype, with a computer force playing the other team.

Nothing else though. I think a plugin in the same style of Wabe is being produced right now though, so keep your eyes open on the tain.
bibari

Post by bibari »

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I used to play the "desert between your ears" and the if I had a trow map against a computer controlled team. They weren't very bright, and mainly just stood there, but I do remember it. Of course I could be wrong in my old age (30) haha.
bibari

Post by bibari »

Thinking about it, you're right there was that glitch, and I think that's what we used to exploit. Basically if you clicked on the coop box over and over, while holding down a certain key, the game would glitch and a multiplayer map would spawn a computer genereated enemy team, or we could also create the scenario you described where the light vs dark would go from coop to head to head. I do recall the screen flashing back and forth between the coop and the multiplayer map screen.

I'm guessing this was fixed a long time ago :(
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Well that exploit ended up crashing the game once other changes had been made to the game so it was fixed. In its place a key combo was added to make it an actual feature rather than a bug. Tilde-Click. When checking or unchecking the Co-operative setting press the tilde (~) key which is also the backquote (`) key at least in the American keyboard layouts. This key is to the left of the number keys.

What this does is allow you to play coop maps as multiplayer and multiplayer as coop. So what you saw was not an AI team in multiplayer but the bare AI all units even your own have when an enemy comes near them.
capital

Post by capital »

You were remembering 100% correct. You could do this...
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I guess we're misconstruing the term "AI". You guys are simply referring to "AI" as any other player team. To me, "AI" needs to be attached to some sort of scripting, otherwise how can you define it as artificial intelligence? What you guys are describing allows Team 1, 2, 3 etc to show up when you load as Team 0, but those teams aren't going to play the gametype with you, they're just going to stand idle at their starting zones, and maybe attack you with their built in monster-based auto-attack ranges if you get close enough. Doesn't sound intelligent though ;) Wabe in the Gimble is the only "Multiplayer Map with AI", by my definition of "AI" that I know of.

If I'm still mistaken, please inform me on how to play actual computer AI multi maps, cause I sook at multi and that could actually help me get a little better :o