Grab the Flag

Talk about anything here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Grab the Flag

Post by Pyro »

I was bored and made a custom gametype for multiplayer. It is similar to capture the flag you would see in other games where you have to bring the enemy flag to your base. It is on If I Had a Trow.

Download.

It did not seem particularly fun since you have to run back to your start location, but who knows maybe someone out there would want to try it once. If people actually like it, I could add it to other maps. It is a beta.

EDIT: Replaced the link with a Tain url.
Last edited by Pyro on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrenaline

Re: Grab the Flag

Post by adrenaline »

Very interesting idea... I'll have to dl it and give it a try. The thing that makes it work in other games (i.e. FPS) is that all units (players) are generally the same speed... which would definitely make it a challenge in M2.

Not having tried it... I don't know how it works... but a question: when your flag is dropped by the enemy (the unit carrying it is killed or something), do you have to pick it up and carry it back to your base, or simply touch it to return it? Personally, I like the touch to return idea.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Touch it to return it. Only the enemy flag must be carried to your own flag. You won't get a point unless you have your team's flag there. Text over a unit will indicate which unit is carrying the flag. Once you score a point, the enemy's flag is returned to its start location.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Honestly, I love the sounds of this :) It's the exact same CTF rules as a FPS game I play... If you'd like to get together to test it sometime, let me know.

And are you a mapmaker by any chance?

I think you could make a pretty sweet stand-alone plugin using this game style...

My suggestion:

Bowmen vs Bowmen, with variants for 4v4, 5v5, 6v6, 7v7, 8v8.

Or even different variants with different units, i.e. dorfs vs dorfs, ghols vs ghols (with projectiles all over the map, like ghol riot).

The reason I say bowmen, is because you'd almost need a ranged unit to pull this off and make it interesting... otherwise chasing after units is pretty much pointless.

An option to drop the flag to hand it off to a unit with more health would be cool too, if not already implemented.

Anways... just a few ideas :) I could see something like this gaining a cult following like fetchball or dorfball :D
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

sounds fun. the more game types the better.... I mean OMG BC IS ON1Y R331 G@M!

Ghost did a similar version of this kind of CTF on his Manistee Paintball Challenge map.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

adrenaline wrote:Honestly, I love the sounds of this :) It's the exact same CTF rules as a FPS game I play... If you'd like to get together to test it sometime, let me know.

Many FPS games do it the same or similar. The idea didn't just come to me. :)
adrenaline wrote:And are you a mapmaker by any chance?
Of course? Maybe that was rhetorical question. I assure you, the plug didn't build itself.
adrenaline wrote:I could see something like this gaining a cult following like fetchball or dorfball
I doubt it... I mean no one has tried it yet! Maybe if I had placed it at the Tain instead of buried in a forum it would have been tried by now.
vinylrake wrote:Ghost did a similar version of this kind of CTF on his Manistee Paintball Challenge map.
Yeah he did. You got me curious about it now. I extracted it to see what method was used. Thanks to 1.8.0 features I use a little less than half as much scripting as the method Ghost used. Also, the method I used would be easier to implement to other maps while the MPC method would need more units added which would take more time. MPC ends after you score one point, my version doesn't end after just 1 point. Besides, I don't think this gametype has been done for standard Myth units until now.
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Hmmm this idea seems a lot like STB already.

It would be more fun if you started with multiple balls and you had to score them at the enemies start location/goal.

Then you could do things like shoot with a fetch lightning/dwarfs or use a Trow or FG to try to block like a goalie. And of course strats with splitting up or keeping balls together. Plus you could also intercept the balls too and make them go in the opposite direction and score more or less (you know because some balls are bound to get stuck).

You could call it Rugby or Deathball or something.
=================================================
:!: Windows Game/Tools Bug Fixes
=================================================
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7260
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:
vinylrake wrote:Ghost did a similar version of this kind of CTF on his Manistee Paintball Challenge map.
Yeah he did. You got me curious about it now. I extracted it to see what method was used. Thanks to 1.8.0 features I use a little less than half as much scripting as the method Ghost used. Also, the method I used would be easier to implement to other maps while the MPC method would need more units added which would take more time. MPC ends after you score one point, my version doesn't end after just 1 point. Besides, I don't think this gametype has been done for standard Myth units until now.
Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing or saying that your version was the same thing - just that the basic idea was similar.

I like Ghost's variation of CTF a lot, carrying the flag back was a neat touch too, but for my own personal tastes (not a reflection on the quality of the units themselves) I wasn't that crazy about the modern-warfare-ish combat of the paintball units. I think it's great that you figured out a relatively easy way to add this game type to existing maps, would have loved if this had been available (i know it couldn't have because of the 1.8 features that made it possible) a few years ago when Baak was updating the redux maps.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

KYRIC wrote:Hmmm this idea seems a lot like STB already.
STB is more of a LMotH where you can just move the target. With this, grabbing the target won't be enough to get you a point until you get it back unlike STB.
KYRIC wrote:It would be more fun if you started with multiple balls and you had to score them at the enemies start location/goal.
That pretty much describes how Stampede works on 2 team maps. The stampede units have to be taken to the flags found at the enemy base.
KYRIC wrote:Then you could do things like shoot with a fetch lightning/dwarfs or use a Trow or FG to try to block like a goalie. And of course strats with splitting up or keeping balls together. Plus you could also intercept the balls too and make them go in the opposite direction and score more or less (you know because some balls are bound to get stuck).

You could call it Rugby or Deathball or something.
Sounds like Fetchball.
vinylrake wrote:Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing or saying that your version was the same thing - just that the basic idea was similar.
Right, I was just pointing out the differences as most might not remember it without checking. I know I did not remember how it worked and I never did check out the script for it before.
vinylrake wrote:...would have loved if this had been available (i know it couldn't have because of the 1.8 features that made it possible) a few years ago when Baak was updating the redux maps.
While the method I used to implement it requires 1.8.0 additions, I'm sure some other methods could have been used to get a similar gametype. Technically this is not the same map as the default If I Had a Trow. More like a duplicate that uses a custom gametype. This beta only has the one map.

I did this in an afternoon wondering what scripting I would need to make it work well. Instead of going out of my way and add it to a list of maps, I wanted to see if there would be any interest. After doing some tests on my own it seemed like a lot of walking around. Perhaps if the flags were closer it would be better. Anyways so far no one has really tried the plugin, only commented on the idea. Maybe I should have placed it at the Tain so players notice it.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I will absolutely give it a try when I get more time. And yes, standard CTF flag placement on bigger maps, such as desert/trow is too much... flags do need to be closer together to make the game faster paced, I think.

And I still like my idea of bows vs bows... with deathmatch enabled. This would make it much more like FPS CTF games.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

The difference from a proper FPS is that in an FPS there's very rarely a max range or the forcing of a singular weapon load out.... range in an FPS is more or less purely determined by terrain and skill (how well you can aim at a tiny target). I think with myth, making them all one unit type would lead to very boring, stagnant gameplay; as someone already mentioned, there's nothing that could chase a unit down once it took a margin of a lead. In your example with archers, there's a little bit of skilled dodging involved, but otherwise it's more or less a point scored as soon as they've grabbed the flag initially, as there's no way for the opponent to close the gap. By having a proper unit set, myth's tactics and gameplay are still very much in action, but with an added element of focus.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

you raise a good point