Bungie fired Martin O'Donnell

Talk about anything here.
Tireces

Bungie fired Martin O'Donnell

Post by Tireces »

:facepalm: I wonder how could they fire such a great composer, Myth's and Halo's soundtrack were amazing. Ehhhh.....

Bungie Releases Statement:
For more than a decade, Marty O’Donnell filled our worlds with unforgettable sounds and soundtracks, and left an indelible mark on our fans. Today, as friends, we say goodbye. We know that wherever his journey takes him, he will always have a bright and hopeful future.

We wish him luck in all his future endeavors.

Marty:
I'm saddened to say that Bungie's board of directors terminated me without cause on April 11, 2014.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
juliocpaes

Re: Bungie fired Martin O'Donnell

Post by juliocpaes »

a tribute for Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori.

"MYTH: The Fallen Lords" - The siege of Madrigal. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rpWW5KP0c

vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Tireces wrote:

Marty:
I'm saddened to say that Bungie's board of directors terminated me without cause on April 11, 2014.
One more example of how Bungie is no longer Bungie.

O'Donnell's comment that they terminated him "without cause" is legal jargon that implies he'll be suing or seeking legal redress for his termination.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Well there are a few things to look at here:

1. Due to privacy laws, unless a lawsuit opens it up, we wont really know the full story, Marty could have done something terrible behind the scenes, and we'd be none the wiser.

2. Destiny is a 10 year project, and while they are about to launch it, it might be that they wont have need for a full time composer for the next 3 years or so.

3. Marty was one of the few full time composers in the industry, pretty much everyone else works via contract, if say, Marty's wages were huge and he wasn't expected to do any meaningful work over the next few years, it'd be hard to keep him on board to twiddle his thumbs.

4. Marty... Well, wasn't really the most friendly guy at least where politics was concerned, I remember him banning people on his Bungie.net subforum if they didn't vote conservative in the 2004 elections, he also was pushing the anti abortion agenda on twitter a few years back. Since forever ago, he was kinda at odds with the fairly liberal/moderate rest of the company, it could be that he started to act in ways that made people uncomfortable, or discriminated against some group or something.

In the end, because we wont know, it's tempting to pick sides. I personally wont pass judgement on either party unless I know more. It's a disappointing development, but I don't see who is in the wrong here.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Just to be clear, I am not saying that Bungie was *wrong* to let O'Donnell go, as you say - there's no way at present to know the details, I was just pointing out his departure is another sign of how Bungie has changed (mostly personell, the old Myth guard is all but gone) and that his wording implies he is laying the foundation for some kind of legal challenge (maybe public, maybe private) to his termination.
Surlythrall

Post by Surlythrall »

There was a comment here by Tuncer Deniz who was involved with the Myth series. He describes being blown away by Marty's work around the time they were developing Myth I
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Well that sucks.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

http://destiny.bungie.org/files/marty-after-bungie/

He apparently is still a co-owner of Bungie. Weird.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

It's not without precedent, Steve Jobs was let go by Apple's board of directors and the CEO Jobs had recruited a few years earlier in the early 90's - and Jobs was Apple's "product czar" at the time and he was a co-founder and owned more stock in Apple than anyone other than Wozniak (and probably even more given how Jobs would screw over people who called him a friend).
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

I remember when they hired Marty.

Did they fire Pherrex or Ferrex or whatever the guy's name who made the original Raisin Barn or does he still work at Bungie? He was pretty cool.
=================================================
:!: Windows Game/Tools Bug Fixes
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7260
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Surlythrall wrote:There was a comment here by Tuncer Deniz who was involved with the Myth series. He describes being blown away by Marty's work around the time they were developing Myth I
I remember Tuncer, he seemed like a marketing guy for Bungie on bungie.net--wasn't he a mod?

He used to be cool till he ditched us for crappy-buggied Myth II.
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Is it me or did Marty used to have a beard and longer hair and was possible thinner--or was that someone else?
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

KYRIC wrote:I remember Tuncer, he seemed like a marketing guy for Bungie on bungie.net--wasn't he a mod?

He used to be cool till he ditched us for crappy-buggied Myth II.
He was the project lead on Myth 2, and the producer on Myth: TFL
KYRIC wrote:Did they fire Pherrex or Ferrex or whatever the guy's name who made the original Raisin Barn or does he still work at Bungie? He was pretty cool.
He still works there, I chat him up once in a while.
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Did you play TFL or use a different name?

So what is Pherrex doing--there was nothing half as awesome as Raisin Barn in any of the Halos. You would think there would be a massive map packs with at least one full-time mapper like him.

I don't know how Tuncer was project lead on M2. Use to play carnage light with the guy and he didn't notice the dramatic difference in TFL vs SB gameplay? Same with Pherrex?

Oh well, what are you up to man?
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

KYRIC wrote:Did you play TFL or use a different name?

So what is Pherrex doing--there was nothing half as awesome as Raisin Barn in any of the Halos. You would think there would be a massive map packs with at least one full-time mapper like him.

I don't know how Tuncer was project lead on M2. Use to play carnage light with the guy and he didn't notice the dramatic difference in TFL vs SB gameplay? Same with Pherrex?

Oh well, what are you up to man?
I never played TFL online, I played a very tiny bit of SB on my brother's account(1 account a house, the thought!)

Ferrex was the campaign designer on Halo 2 and the multiplayer designer on Halo 3. I don't know what he's doing on Destiny yet, he's not really allowed to say much about his current work.

I am, as always working on plugins and stuff. Someday I'll finish all my projects!