Myth II Handbook - digital version now online!

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Myth II Handbook - digital version now online!

Post by vinylrake »

Long revered as THE definitive guide to Myth 2 but never available online before now, it's...

The Myth II Handbook is now available Online! Free! (and Legal!)

Written by J.Charles Holt (aka Deathwhore), a member of Voracious Rabbits and creator of one of Myth II's legendary early maps, "VR Pool Party", The Myth II Handbook is a 1999-era treasure trove of Myth 2 goodness - chock full of strategies, solo level walkthroughs, unit guides, Fear and Loathing mapmaking walkthroughs, and a whole lot more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The digital version of The Myth II Handbook has been 'optimized' for display on several different kinds of devices. The content in each version is identical, the only difference is in the resolution/appearance, the visual quality and size of the pages) decreases as you go down the list.

Unless you are going to be reading the Myth II Handbook on a phone or eBook reader, just get the 'monitor_tablet' version which should look good on desktop/laptop monitors and hi res tablets like the iPad/Surface/Kindle Fire/Nook HD/Galaxy Tab/etc.

The different versions are:

Myth2Handbook (monitors & tablets) 61.0 MB (best color)

Myth2Handbook (iPhone) 26.1 MB (good color)
Myth2Handbook (Nook Color) 24.4 MB (color)
Myth2Handbook (Android phones) 17.4 MB (color)
Myth2Handbook Kindle (pre-fire) 15.4 MB (greyscale)
Myth2Handbook (Sony eReader) 15.0 MB (black and white)

Zipped copies of the Myth II Handbook can be downloaded at http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myt ... 0Handbook/

The Myth II handbook was scanned by vinylrake (with some professional help) and is shared with the Myth community with the generous permission of it's author, J.Charles Holt.
Last edited by vinylrake on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason_ac

Re: Myth II Handbook - digital version now online!

Post by jason_ac »

Excellent! See, if I annoy people enough, good things happen ;)
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Sometimes you even get credit. (see the 3rd page)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Nice. I never got to see this handbook before. By the way, if you want a folder in your uploads to keep all handbook PDFs in one place instead of mixed with your other files, let me know.

Oh, and you could add it to the Tain for those users that won't notice any forum threads.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

I have a book ( Myth II Handbook) autographed by the author : J.Charles Holt. :mrgreen:

Julio
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

A subfolder would be excellent, OR if you want to create a folder somewhere else other than the user-uploads (which I imagine a lot of people aren't going to trudge through) they could go there - there's no reason they need to be in my uploads folder, that's just the only place I had upload access to so I put them there.

I did create a Myth2Handbook entry on the Tain with links to uDogs. I also created a similar entry with links in the Myth Graveyard and posted a news item with links on GateOfStorms, Mariusnet, and the Myth2Community page on Facebook. If there's anywhere else people think it should be 'advertised' let me know.

ps. I don't imagine anyone has any interest now that it's available in digital form, but if anyone else wants a brand new signed-physical copy of the book like the one Julio has, I have a few copies left from Charles' stash I bought from him many many years ago that I'd be willing to part with for a fraction of the $45 price used M2 Handbooks are currently selling for on Amazon.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro fixed things so the Handbook now has it's own 'official' folder. I''ve updated the original post - the new link is:

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myt ... 0Handbook/
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

vinylrake wrote:Sometimes you even get credit. (see the 3rd page)
Yes, I'd noticed! :)
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Along with the various downloadable versions of the Myth 2 handbook listed in previous posts, there's also now a searchable online (web) version of the handbook at http://mythgraveyard.org/userfiles/docu ... 2_Handbook
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

vinylrake wrote:Along with the various downloadable versions of the Myth 2 handbook listed in previous posts, there's also now a searchable online (web) version of the handbook at http://mythgraveyard.org/userfiles/docu ... 2_Handbook
wonderful work, Vinylrake, you are the man! :D :D
Edimonde

Post by Edimonde »

This is awesome. Thanks! I'm downloading it for my android tablet, so I got something to read before bedtime! :mrgreen:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Edimonde wrote:This is awesome. Thanks! I'm downloading it for my android tablet, so I got something to read before bedtime! :mrgreen:
Some of the versions look not so good on devices they aren't optimizd for, so if you are downloading a version specifically for your tablet and it looks like crap, try the highest res one - think it's PDF.

Also it's available as a webpage at the Myth Graveyard so that browser version should work reasonably well on any device.
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

this is a really useful download, I got the MYTH TFL book version handbook but the myth 2 would be really useful for mapmaking if I felt like one day putting in the time an effort in.