A tagset to attract new gamers?

Talk about anything here.
jason_ac

A tagset to attract new gamers?

Post by jason_ac »

I was thinking...Star Wars fans (I'm one) are pretty fanatical, and under-served by the videogame industry. I wonder if we had better Star Wars options if we'd pull in a new community.

I've played around with the 3 Star Wars plugins, but there isn't a tagset, and like most rifle-based setups, the gameplay isn't deep like regular Myth (melee/artillery/bowmen/special units rock-paper-scissors).

So I was thinking, how could we design something Star Wars that would offer Myth-ish gameplay, and require minimal art/zero modeling?

The base units would be:

Jedi/Sith for melee.

Modify the Gungan units, give them the range, power, and speed of bowmen.

Take the artillery droid and adjust it to be a good dwarf replacement (I know, not a very personable unit...give it some friendly R2D2 beeps). Or maybe a unit modified from MaraMyth or some other sci-fi TC could be our dwarf replacement.

Other Myth units (possibly modified) could be used too without too much breaking of the Star Wars feel. Maul (think Gamorrean), spider, Ghol, Myrks, Trow. Plus some units from MaraMyth and other TCs.

And how to do it with zero modeling?

For Jedi/Sith, examine all existing melee units from Myth, Bushido, 7th God, etc to find one that's close-ish...like a unit wearing brown-ish colors or robes, and one that's black-ish. Then just re-colorize the bitmaps to make their sword into a lightsaber blade.

Perhaps the stormtroopers and bounty hunters get modified into cannon fodder window-dressing for the tagset. Give their guns the same range as a Fetch perhaps, and tweak their accuracy and power. Perhaps make them a cheap, weak unit that Jedi/Sith can mow through. Maybe troopers march in a very slow, synchronized lockstep fashion, that gives them the speed of thrall.

The destroyer droids could get modified in range & power to be a Fetch replacement. I know destroyers "should" be fast, with shields...oh well, they'll be slow/weak here...maybe their power cells are depleted.
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
Jon God

Re: A tagset to attract new gamers?

Post by Jon God »

At one point I was working on a Battlefront inspired plugin for Myth, where there were AI on each team, and you played territories with actual players and AI.

I don't remember why I stopped working on it. From what I remember, you could choose a class, and each class had it's own abilities. I never made a map for it, it was just running on the WWII recon map, I had planned to make a Endor map, complete with shield bunker, but never got around to it due to switching computers, and loosing the ability to import models.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Even if all we had is a balanced tagset to play regular game types on regular maps, that would be a start. And maybe attract volunteers to help with more ambitious Star Wars TCs (like yours). Also playing on the Marathon, Jinn, etc maps for more sci-fi feel.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

jason_ac wrote:Even if all we had is a balanced tagset to play regular game types on regular maps, that would be a start. And maybe attract volunteers to help with more ambitious Star Wars TCs (like yours). Also playing on the Marathon, Jinn, etc maps for more sci-fi feel.
I think a map to go with it would attract more people. New content is always more enticing, specially for a community that is drooling for new content.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Jon God wrote:I think a map to go with it would attract more people. New content is always more enticing, specially for a community that is drooling for new content.
Make it, I won't stop you! ;) You'll need the balanced units anyway, so possibly release them as a tagset while making new maps?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

jason_ac wrote:Make it, I won't stop you! ;) You'll need the balanced units anyway, so possibly release them as a tagset while making new maps?
Sorry but JonGod is contractually obligated to release the final version of DeadFall ("DeadFall 2: DeadFaller") before he works on any other Myth related projects.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:
jason_ac wrote:Make it, I won't stop you! ;) You'll need the balanced units anyway, so possibly release them as a tagset while making new maps?
Sorry but JonGod is contractually obligated to release the final version of DeadFall ("DeadFall 2: DeadFaller") before he works on any other Myth related projects.
This.