Feature requests: Autohost: Pause, log,playlist size, & info

Talk about anything here.
jason_ac

Feature requests: Autohost: Pause, log,playlist size, & info

Post by jason_ac »

Multiple requests:

PAUSE BUTTON:
In the game lobby, the autohost can Start game (which I've never wanted to do), but not Pause (which I've often wanted to do). We need a pause. Because some players do persistent ready, and the autohost will start with even just a few players ready.

But if the host is paying attention, and sees that people are talking game settings, or people have JUST joined but haven't readied quite yet, or we all want to talk, or whatever...the host could pause while things settle, then allow things to continue. If we had a Pause button.

CHAT LOG:
An option to have the autohost log all chat from the game lobby & game. Then we'll see what players liked or disliked.

HOST MESSAGE:
The host gets to set a message that players see whenever they join the room, and it displays again after every map change. Then they could see something like "This autohost uses the TFL maps, 3 Bungie PRASP maps, and the FFALeague pack"

PLAYLIST SIZE:
Make the playlist taller, so more maps can be seen at once. Easier to manage a large playlist that way.

PLAYLIST INFO:
Right now the autohost playlist just lists the maps. It would be a lot easier to think about what you're setting-up if there were even a tiny bit more info on this listing. Like gametype. Especially in case you're repeating a map on purpose.

The more info the better. It would let you think about your list, as well as check for mistakes in configuring. Time limit? TFL mode? Tagset? Difficulty? etc
Last edited by jason_ac on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
jason_ac

Re: Feature requests: Autohost: Pause, playlist size, & info

Post by jason_ac »

A 4th feature request...an option to have the autohost log all chat from the game lobby & game. Then we'll see what players liked or disliked.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

jason_ac wrote:A 4th feature request...an option to have the autohost log all chat from the game lobby & game. Then we'll see what players liked or disliked.
That is a great idea. I second this.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

TBH I think it's pretty unlikely that significant work is going to be done on autohost at this point. It's sort of a hacky implementation to start with. Ideally metaserver proxying (i.e. "anyone can host") should mitigate the need for it to a large extent and for the remaining use cases we can look at something headless down the road.

Just being realistic, but thanks for the suggestions in any case.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a headless host eventually.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

punkUser wrote:TBH I think it's pretty unlikely that significant work is going to be done on autohost at this point.
Well, they're mostly pretty simple changes, but whatever, I know all requests are just "maybes". A metaserver will help, but be of less use for anyone not close enough to the West Coast. Heh, unless you can get a few people to host metaservers around the world and you make a distributed architecture functional.
jason_ac

Re: Feature requests: Autohost: Pause, log,playlist size, &

Post by jason_ac »

5th idea...the host gets to set a message that players see whenever they join the room, and it displays again after every map change.

Then they could see something like "This autohost uses the TFL maps, 3 Bungie PRASP maps, and the FFALeague pack"
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

jason_ac wrote:[A metaserver will help, but be of less use for anyone not close enough to the West Coast. Heh, unless you can get a few people to host metaservers around the world and you make a distributed architecture functional.
The plan is to support multiple proxies around the world as needed. Of course that adds some cost to whomever hosts them but it's pretty minimal and I'm sure we can sort that out. Tech will support it in any case.