A 3rd party voice chat solution

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: Myth needs...voice chat!

Post by vinylrake »

Omicron wrote:
vinylrake wrote:There is no Ventrillo for Linux and the Mac client can't use most Ventrillo servers, but if you think standardizing on a practically windows-only solution is a good idea, then go ahead and make your case.
I wasn't commenting on anything other than the existence of Ventrilo, VR. You disappoint me, what with you always asking others why they comment on your posts outside the language you used.
Let me refresh your memory.
Omicron wrote:"Why has no one mentioned Ventrilo? Spa has a server set up, and myth players can chat there. I think it has 6 rooms."
If you don't think my comment is related to what you said then you are either being disingenuous, are not fluent in the english language or you are seriously high.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Holy shit VR! You started harping on me for suggesting a windows only application, when as you quoted all I said was Ventrilo exists, I didnt even partake in the whole discussion. You are really weird. If you go to the magma forums, watch out for the troll VR. Every post I made this weekend you jumped on with some bullshit and insults. Just watch, VR will be back with some more bullshit.

Geeze VR, you are like the energizer bunny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxafIhYFOr0
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Cluephone message for you: "Troll" doesn't mean "Someone who disagrees with you".

I took the time to respond in detail to explain to you why I responded the way I did. You choose to ignore my factual observations and call me names.

So you really want to play "who's the troll'?
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

I downloaded Skype, played with it, you can make group calls
http://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10809 ... p-call-mac

Looks suitable. The host just needs to add any new players to the group call as they join the game.

If anyone wants to help test Skype group calls, let me know. Add jasonmh9 as a contact. I'm curious to see if members of the call can mute other members (who are talking too much).
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Everything I see about mumble is great. I vote for mumble.
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Omi thinks too many Myth-ers won't use Skype because it's Microsoft's. If that's true, and we give up the idea of Linux usage, AIM & Yahoo Msgr are widely-used alternatives.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Yeah Mumble is probably the best candidate (cross-platform, low latency, etc) and NewMutator had a server up for a while (maybe he still does). Alternatively, Skype is ok in a pinch if you don't have a server, but I'm not sure if there's Linux support?
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

punkUser wrote:Yeah Mumble is probably the best candidate (cross-platform, low latency, etc) and NewMutator had a server up for a while (maybe he still does). Alternatively, Skype is ok in a pinch if you don't have a server, but I'm not sure if there's Linux support?
Skype supports Linux, WinXP, Classic Mac OS, and OS X. I'm concerned about the community relying on 1 person to always keep a server up...unless the GoS or MariusNet people are volunteering to be that server. But whatever, just be nice to see people start using something. I set my Skype up :)
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

jason_ac wrote:I'm concerned about the community relying on 1 person to always keep a server up...unless the GoS or MariusNet people are volunteering to be that server. But whatever, just be nice to see people start using something. I set my Skype up :)
If there was enough need I imagine GoS or PM could put up a Mumble server, but so far there have been various options.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: A 3rd party voice chat solution

Post by Pyro »

Well if anyone is curious about Spa's Ventrilo server in the meantime, go here. I know some Mac users get on it, haven't spotted Linux Mythers on GoS, so I don't know what their options would be.
necro2607

Post by necro2607 »

Sorry, digging up an old thread, but why not TeamSpeak? Win, Mac , Linux, iPhone, Android...
twitter: amatecha
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

No problem in reviving a thread if you have something to add or ask.

There is a thread on GoS with a teamspeak server listed. As for why others picked Mumble or Ventrilo, it really just depends on the person who decided to host or rent a server. Some prefer one over the others.