letter to "Take 2 Interactive"

Talk about anything here.
Omicron

Re: letter to "Take 2 Interactive"

Post by Omicron »

I notice no devs are taking part in this conversation.

Possible reasons:

They have already discussed this before and this is nothing new.

They do not exist anymore as they have more important things than myth, and they would have to have the prospect of a career in myth for them to pay attention.

But, the stuff about a startup amount is is partially true. If their costs involved in considering any agreement were covered they would be more amenable, but you also have to understand that you cannot repay their time. They could be spending that time on something which they think is a definite for future profits, or they could spend it on a group of guys who for some weird reason have stuck with a 17 year old game.
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Omicron wrote:I notice no devs are taking part in this conversation.
I just realized I don't know who the devs are. Can someone give me a list?
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Omicron wrote:I just realized I don't know who the devs are. Can someone give me a list?
I was going to suggest just taking a look at the credits section of the readme that ships with 1.8.0 (found in your Myth II folder) but then you would have to cross reference those names with the Magma About page to know who is who. So I guess it is just easier if I give you the short list: Myrd, Melekor, punkUser are the current ones handling most of the Myth code changes and additions with a few others sometimes stopping by to code or used to code more often many years ago.

Yeah, they don't reply because this has been said and done many times over and they are busy with other things these days to even post much.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

$10K would buy a lot of lawyer time. id has released a bunch of games under GPL. It doesn't seem like it should cost $10K to get a licensing agreement done. We WOULD be paying for T2I's time to write the agreement.

LOL, can we find a Myth fan lawyer to offer a boiler-plate license agreement for T2I's lawyer to review? :P

So someone asked T2I what it would cost to license (not buy) as I've described? Did T2I actually give a number for that?

T2I sounds dumb. They can ask for a lot, never get it, and do nothing with the property, and get nothing. Or they can invest a small amount of time, and get the chance of a small revenue stream, & a revival of interest in a property that they own the rights to (maybe make a sequel?).

Alternatively, maybe if we do a better job of getting people hooked-up with the demo, a larger user base might make more things possible (i.e.--raise money, find a rich Myth fanatic, etc). I'm working on a wiki guide that I think will help get people onto Myth more quickly and easily.
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

jason_ac wrote: T2I sounds dumb. They can ask for a lot, never get it, and do nothing with the property, and get nothing. Or they can invest a small amount of time, and get the chance of a small revenue stream, & a revival of interest in a property that they own the rights to (maybe make a sequel?).
I won't argue that point, but another thing to keep in mind that T2I has no interest in providing support for a 15+ year old game. Hell they don't even admit they own the game on their website.

Mariusnet used to have a disclaimer that displayed when you logged on that said something to the effect of "This is not Bungie.net, do not call Bungie for support" and people would joke about how stupid it was that everyone knew the marius game server wasn't bungie, but I am sure it was there for a reason - even years after Bungie stopped running a Myth gameserver some people who got online to play assumed the server was being run/sponsored by Bungie. I have to think that any game released with a credit 'licensed from TakeTwo Interactive' is going to result in at least some people contacting TakeTwo if they have problems.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Pyro wrote: Yeah, they don't reply because this has been said and done many times over and they are busy with other things these days to even post much.
^
:)
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

vinylrake wrote:T2I has no interest in providing support for a 15+ year old game. ...I have to think that any game released with a credit 'licensed from TakeTwo Interactive' is going to result in at least some people contacting TakeTwo if they have problems.
Well, the credit could be buried in fine print (if T2I prefers)? The main menu still says "Bungie", and if we don't have the right to change that, then Bungie will likely get the calls...fine for T2I, eh? ;)

But if Project Magma gets a limited license to sell, then PM is the entity selling, and not supporting. And it would seem appropriate that PM would be able to put in a splash screen (& help option & readme) that says "Published by PM. User-to-user support available at forums", and maybe a sub-button (that few will click, or read the fine print) that says "licensed by T2I, developed by Bungie".

If the help option slaps users in the face (on splash screen, and on menu), and gives the URL for help, I'm thinking most people will just use what's presented. Not Google the licensing corp to find their contact info and bug them.
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

Trifle, but nice ...

It is a pity that it is nowhere applied as an argument ...

jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Maybe we need to talk to someone that has a soft spot for Myth/Bungie.

Bungie surely knows of passionate Bungie-philes who are also lawyers, accountants, etc.

Maybe Bungie can convince their friends to donate some time to Take 2 so Take 2 can have some kind of licensing setup that costs Take 2 nothing to setup, lets them keep all their rights, but maybe has some upside for Take 2 (money &/or PR).
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

If you could contact with Bungie, and ask them about it ...

But I have not found no way how you can contact them.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

It's........been.......done. Attempted many times.
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

juliocpaes wrote:the myth is an old game, only we (the mythers) liked it. and to make a new myth, (free of T2) and launch the media trying to bring in new players I find it very difficult to succeed. the players today like playability fast, excellent graphics, and unfortunately our myth can not do. :|
new players wanted games with playability as diablo 3 and graphics as tombraider 2013 ...
Yea, the Myth is too old. But who says, that the new version will not interest more players? As for now, there is no real good tactic strategy games. Most of crew here knows much about balance, programming codes, few has they own campaigns, so the story will not be a problem too. What is necessary, is a free 3d engine, and there are lot of them.
Not all of people interested in slashing Diablo-style
When the sea turns blood red, and stones start to burn,
when the stars are falling down, we are on the storm
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

wrote oldblood,
Yea, the Myth is too old. But who says, that the new version will not interest more players? As for now, there is no real good tactic strategy games. Most of crew here knows much about balance, programming codes, few has they own campaigns, so the story will not be a problem too. What is necessary, is a free 3d engine, and there are lot of them.
Not all of people interested in slashing Diablo-style
paladin MAIK » 07 Fev 2014 14:47

If you could contact with Bungie, and ask them about it ...

But I have not found no way how you can contact them.
Maik // oldblood,

other day, I wrote a message for "take 2", asking free a full level editor for Myth 3. I do not know if they have this program.
if want talk with take2, try here, look icon "contact"

http://www.take2games.com/

Julio
Archiver

Post by Archiver »

juliocpaes wrote: other day, I wrote a message for "take 2", asking free a full level editor for Myth 3. I do not know if they have this program.
if want talk with take2, try here, look icon "contact"
TakeTwo never had such a thing. MumboJumbo had a Myth III level editor called "Vengeance" but reports were that Vengeance was always buggy.

FlyingFlip wrote their own Myth III level editor called 'Ballistic', but that may have been mac-only.

Don't think either app was a perfect all-in-one functioning level editor, but of the two Ballistic had the better reputation.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

TakeTwo never had such a thing. MumboJumbo had a Myth III level editor called "Vengeance" but reports were that Vengeance was always buggy.

FlyingFlip wrote their own Myth III level editor called 'Ballistic', but that may have been mac-only.

Don't think either app was a perfect all-in-one functioning level editor, but of the two Ballistic had the better reputation.
you refer to this?

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/h ... ng-windows

If someone of staff "Mumbo Jumbo" are reading : " - hey good guys, come on, make an update or a complete editor.(used on windows) :P