Mariusnet offline

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: Mariusnet offline

Post by vinylrake »

I am curious Godz, since you are apparently the expert on everything, which user requested changes do you think could be coded and tested in the 24 downtime - considering that during some of that 'downtime' the server that the gameserver code resides will be in transit and/or unplugged/ and will be completely unavailable to anyone not physically in the datacenter?
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

I am, literally, just waiting impatiently for word from the tech that the machine has been moved and is plugged in.

::impatiently tapping foot and glaring at his watch::

At least on my machine, DNS has already updated for myth.mariusnet.com, without any Hosts files trickeration... so, as soon as we have power, it should be rolling again.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

No big deal PPE. People should learn to live without Myth for a few days, it will do them good.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Any status updates PPE?
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

Unfortunately, no new updates, yet.

I do know that the server is in the possession of the new datacenter, at least. We're just waiting for them to have someone actually wheel it over to a rack and slide it in and connect three cables. Heck, I don't even need them to hit the power button, I can do that from here..... I'm getting impatient, lol!
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

Good News: The server has had connections to it made and power applied. I can even remotely access the console via IPMI.

Bad News: It may be completely worthless. It is telling me "Operating System Not Found", meaning that it may well have died in transit. Still working the issue. RAID card is seen by the system, but it won't install the card's BIOS. In looking at the RAID card's config, it is only seeing 6 of the 8 drives in the system, but it is configured as a RAID-6, so that *shouldn't* matter. Doing some troubleshooting to try to isolate the issue....
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Ouch, here's to hoping you successfully rebuild the RAID array. Sounds like you had a pretty robust setup, but RAID controllers can be a major headache.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

punkUser wrote:Sounds like you had a pretty robust setup
Not robust enough, apparently.

It was dual Xeon E5410's on a Supermicro X7DBE-O board w/ IPMI card and 16GB ram. Areca ARC-1220 controller (w/ battery backup) and eight 750GB drives, RAID-6, all stuffed into a Supermicro 2U chassis.... and all for naught.

Server is officially dead. RAID array is intact even though it is failing to see two drives, however, it doesn't recognize any of the volumes on the array. I partially suspect something to be up with the drive backplane.

I've instructed the datacenter folks to pull it and ship it home to me.
I'm looking into ways to get things back online in some fashion.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

PrplPplEater wrote: Server is officially dead. RAID array is intact even though it is failing to see two drives, however, it doesn't recognize any of the volumes on the array. I partially suspect something to be up with the drive backplane.
:O All that broken from some mishandling while shipping? :S
PrplPplEater wrote: I'm looking into ways to get things back online in some fashion.
Presumably you still have the code for all of it backed up somewhere - let me know if we can help at all.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I'd sue the transport company.
capital

Post by capital »

So if he sues the transporter to recover the cost of the damage etc, I guess we can expect the server to be on again in 1-2 years plus legal fees.

Good Luck at the Bridge.
Point

Post by Point »

PrplPplEater wrote:Good News: The server has had connections to it made and power applied. I can even remotely access the console via IPMI.

Bad News: It may be completely worthless. It is telling me "Operating System Not Found", meaning that it may well have died in transit. Still working the issue. RAID card is seen by the system, but it won't install the card's BIOS. In looking at the RAID card's config, it is only seeing 6 of the 8 drives in the system, but it is configured as a RAID-6, so that *shouldn't* matter. Doing some troubleshooting to try to isolate the issue....

:( We all wish you the best of luck with the issues and lots of thanks for all your efforts that have for so long kept myth going and will hopefully keep it going long into the future...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

honestly PPE you may want to consider just not throwing up mnet again. there are huge advantages for the community to have a single team developing both the server and the application. features that would never be possible now have the potential to be done. everyone has made the transition well enough over to the new server, no sense in splitting the community up. even if some individuals may prefer mnet, some people do not know what is truly in the best interest for the community, and what is the best for the community right now is for everyone to stay on this new server where the code is actually maintainable, not to mention having more active individuals running it.

though I am sure it has been a pain for you, really having mnet go down was a blessing in disguise for the entire community, it happened at the perfect time too. we shouldn't waste this huge opportunity for the community. if we ever wanted to permanently transition everyone over to a non-legacy metaserver, now is the time.

of course having the mnet website back up to point people over to the new server would still be helpful.
Welly

Post by Welly »

What's the new server?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

http://www.gateofstorms.net/

Install 1.8.0.
Click on Multiplayer Game.
Click on Server.
Select GateofStormsNet.
Use the account you made at the forums of GoS or use the guest account.

For guest accounts, put anything (that isn't registered) for the login and leave the password field blank.

Note: Your GoS login will be your server player name, so choose wisely.