Mariusnet offline

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Mariusnet offline

Post by vinylrake »

fyi: Just saw a news post on mariusnet that mariusnet will be offline for a week or so starting Wednesday morning June 5th.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Mariusnet offline

Post by Pyro »

The conspiracy theorists are going to suspect punkUser as the cause to get people on the gateofstormsnet server.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

:O I swear I did nothing ;)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:The conspiracy theorists are going to suspect punkUser as the cause to get people on the gateofstormsnet server.
I knew PunkU had been working on game server software 'on the side' for a while now, didn't realize it was ready for primetime. Is it up and running yet? If so, I'd think that would be a relief for the MWC players.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

If you still want to play myth while the server is down, check out gate of storms:

http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a replacement for mariusnet, its for tournament use. However I see no reason we can't play on an alternate server while mariusnet is down.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

" - It wasn't me, it was the man one-armed."

eh eh

Julio
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

vinylrake wrote:Is it up and running yet?
Yeah, it is running. It has been functional during some point in the 1.8.0 public beta timespan. The plugin for it was included with 1.8.0 final. You can go to the forum to register an account, but keep in mind Gate of Storms uses your login as your player name. So whatever you picked for your login will be what everyone will see you as on the server. You can however log in as a guest with anything for the login field and blank password as long as that login has not been registered. Guests can't use the tourney rooms. Film rooms save films to the server which others can download to watch.

Parts of it are still works in progress, but it works.
Point

Post by Point »

""""ATTENTION: Site/Server downtime coming next week. The outage is expected to last at least 4-5 days, minimum.

I was informed last week that the hosting provider that Mariusnet uses is closing their doors on June 24th. However, in a conversation just minutes ago with the owner of that company, he is needing people to get their servers out of his datacenter space by NEXT WEEK. Unfortunately, I haven't yet even been able to find a new hosting company, yet, so I'm in a scramble to say the least.

I have asked that the server shut down occur on the morning of Wednesday, June 5th and that it be shipped Next Day Air to me so that I can have it in hand ASAP to hopefully get it into a new datacenter here in Cleveland (where I live). I'll be doing everything I can to minimize the impact, and I will hopefully have everything back up and running by the end of next weekend.

More info to come as I have it.... """ from mariusnet.... :(
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

The server will be offline tomorrow morning, but it will be alive in its new datacenter sometime tomorrow night.

Basically, things will return to normal as quickly as I can get DNS to update.
I'm pretty much just waiting on the new IP Addresses to get that ball rolling.

I'll post updated info here as things move along.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

PrplPplEater wrote:The server will be offline tomorrow morning, but it will be alive in its new datacenter sometime tomorrow night.
Great news! Glad you got it sorted out to transition so quickly.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

UPDATE: The outage is expected to begin between 1:00-2:00pm CST tomorrow; thus the site will still be up in the morning.

The machine will be moved into its new home within a few hours of that, and things will begin to slowly start working some time after that. For some, the total downtime may be just a few hours, for others, it may be closer to two days... a lot of that will just depend upon how long it takes the new IP Address info to get distributed around the internet.

For the tech savvy: DNS TTL has been lowered to 1 hour. I'm guessing that should be mostly propagated within 24 hours, so updates should happen fairly rapidly once the new IP's are plugged in.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Maybe you can do some upgrades that have been requested by players during the downtime.

If nothing else at least chance the blue banner to inflect that 1.8 has been released.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:...If you don't have time in the 24-48 hours it takes for the new IPs to propagate out to all the DNSs, to become an expert in the language the game server is written in and to rewrite the metaserver engine to include a lot of involved requests users have asked for, could you please change the blue banner to reflect that 1.8 has been released.
edited for politeness and accuracy.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Sorry let me fix that:

Maybe you can do some upgrades that have been requested by players during the downtime.

If nothing else at least change the blue banner to reflect that 1.8 has been released.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

lol :)

No upgrades will be taking place during this downtime.... moving datacenters is enough for me, right now ;)

For anyone that wants to get back onto the metaserver right away when it is alive again, you can edit your Hosts file and create an entry for myth.mariusnet.com

myth.mariusnet.com 204.80.88.99

Things are currently powered down for the move at this time. I will post here again when things are powered back up, at which point that IP will be accessible. DNS is updating quickly, however, so you may not need the above trick at all.