Mariusnet offline

Talk about anything here.
Jon God

Re: Mariusnet offline

Post by Jon God »

Giant Killer General wrote:honestly PPE you may want to consider just not throwing up mnet again. there are huge advantages for the community to have a single team developing both the server and the application. features that would never be possible now have the potential to be done. everyone has made the transition well enough over to the new server, no sense in splitting the community up. even if some individuals may prefer mnet, some people do not know what is truly in the best interest for the community, and what is the best for the community right now is for everyone to stay on this new server where the code is actually maintainable, not to mention having more active individuals running it.

though I am sure it has been a pain for you, really having mnet go down was a blessing in disguise for the entire community, it happened at the perfect time too. we shouldn't waste this huge opportunity for the community. if we ever wanted to permanently transition everyone over to a non-legacy metaserver, now is the time.

of course having the mnet website back up to point people over to the new server would still be helpful.

I disagree. The lack of 'thon, and M1/3 support sucks.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
zagon

Post by zagon »

I agree the support for myth 3 and marathon and TFL is good to have. Also when people come back after time away they may be discouraged when mariusnet isnt there. PLus there is no .zagon command. There are alot of other cool commands there. So thats enough evidence to support having mariusnet back.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

UPDATE:

Server is in hand. The apparent cause of the hardware malfunction is identified, a replacement part is being overnighted, and I'm already working with the new (local) datacenter guys to get things prepped so that I can hand-deliver the repaired server to its new home.

For anyone that is curious as to the damage - quite simply, it looks like it was dropped (or someone tried to log on with a hammer). The drive backplane is completely bent/distorted at one end, and subsequently the two SATA connectors at that end of the backplane are cracked/broken. Not coincidentally, those are the two "missing" drives in the array.

As long as none of the drives themselves have been shock-tested to death, the replacement backplane will hopefully get things back up and running tomorrow, and at the very very latest, by Monday the machine will be live in the new datacenter.
zagon

Post by zagon »

thanks for the update! Hope all is well with the server
Point

Post by Point »

PPE thanks again for your work on this looking forward to getting back to Mnet for some games... :)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

PrplPplEater wrote: For anyone that is curious as to the damage - quite simply, it looks like it was dropped (or someone tried to log on with a hammer).
Ha, well glad the damage was limited and didn't wipe out the data itself! Looking forward to having it back online!
capital

Post by capital »

PPE that sucks that someone bashed the server and stole drives.

I look forward to the return of MariusNET!
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

PPE who was the delivery company you used? Wasn't it UPS?
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Giant Killer General wrote:honestly PPE you may want to consider just not throwing up mnet again. there are huge advantages for the community to have a single team developing both the server and the application. features that would never be possible now have the potential to be done. everyone has made the transition well enough over to the new server, no sense in splitting the community up. even if some individuals may prefer mnet, some people do not know what is truly in the best interest for the community, and what is the best for the community right now is for everyone to stay on this new server where the code is actually maintainable, not to mention having more active individuals running it.

though I am sure it has been a pain for you, really having mnet go down was a blessing in disguise for the entire community, it happened at the perfect time too. we shouldn't waste this huge opportunity for the community. if we ever wanted to permanently transition everyone over to a non-legacy metaserver, now is the time.

of course having the mnet website back up to point people over to the new server would still be helpful.
Man you never cease to amaze me. Thank goodness you're here to tell us all whats in the best interest of the myth community.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

I like Mariusnet.
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

FINAL UPDATE!

Replacement parts are installed.
Server is in place in its new datacenter.
The metaserver is up and running on its new IP.

The database has been restored and I am in the process of getting the website back online.

The new IP of the metaserver is: 199.223.248.179

I've messaged Conner about updating DNS. That part may still take a little while, but once it is done, things should be back to normal!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

So many blue bars and I'm the first one in. :P
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Did you make a custom plug with the new IP or has your DNS updated Pyro?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I modified the string list tag and kept it in my local. Then switched server plugins so everything matches.
Conner

Post by Conner »

PrplPplEater wrote:FINAL UPDATE!

Replacement parts are installed.
Server is in place in its new datacenter.
The metaserver is up and running on its new IP.

The database has been restored and I am in the process of getting the website back online.

The new IP of the metaserver is: 199.223.248.179

I've messaged Conner about updating DNS. That part may still take a little while, but once it is done, things should be back to normal!
I've updated the DNS entry with the name server. I wasn't paying attention on how long it took to propagate last time I updated it, but I would guess a few hours.