Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Talk about anything here.
Industry

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta 2

Post by Industry »

Well, I am pretty much screwed. I get the same effect on all builds going back to the builds that wouldn't even run on my MacMini (in 410 my FILM goes OOS). The only solution I can see if I want to be able to use 1.8 is to disable whatever features of OpenGL have been added to 1.8 that weren't in 1.7.2.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

If you have a 1.7.2 mazz film, you can use that as your test film and try the old builds that OOS on your 1.8.0 film. Does this issue only happen in Mazz?
Phex

Post by Phex »

Suggestions:
  • Enable the new zoomout feature for eliminated teams.
  • Remember window size and position for window mode.
  • Move the unit trading dialog to the bottom of the screen. On the top of the screen the dialog may overlap the planning time counter on small resolutions which is a really bad thing.
  • Allow to give waypoint orders via overhead map clicks. Shift+overhead map click now resets the overhead to its initial size. I have in mind that it was once possible to give unit waypoint orders by doing shift-clicks on the overhead. But I might be wrong.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Phex wrote:Allow to give waypoint orders via overhead map clicks. Shift+overhead map click now resets the overhead to its initial size. I have in mind that it was once possible to give unit waypoint orders by doing shift-clicks on the overhead. But I might be wrong.
Try Shift-WindowsKey-Click.
myth2

Post by myth2 »

Feature request, since i have no real interest in DirectX it would be nice if 1.8 would remember my settings each time I start (ie. OpenGL is my preferred setting).

Here is another crashlog, otherwise been having some good runs with 1.8 lately.. which might even be more stable then 1.7.2 the way things are going.
Last edited by myth2 on Sat May 25, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

myth2 wrote:Feature request, since i have no real interest in DirectX it would be nice if 1.8 would remember my settings each time I start (ie. OpenGL is my preferred setting).

Here is another crashlog, otherwise been having some good runs with 1.8 lately.. which might even be more stable then 1.7.2 the way things are going.
M2 should automatically remember what settings you have for graphics and stick with them. Maybe your preferences are corrupted. Try removing your screen preferences from your folder and have M2 recreate a fresh copy, then set your preferred graphics.

Not sure why you would not like DX though, especially if you are on a Windows PC and have a newer OS, it sometimes is the superior method.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

myth2 wrote:Feature request, since i have no real interest in DirectX it would be nice if 1.8 would remember my settings each time I start (ie. OpenGL is my preferred setting).

Did you update your drivers as I suggested in my previous post?

Myth already remembers your graphics setting, or at least it should be remembering it. I don't see anything in the log about myth being unable to write the preferences file. There's no reason to prefer OpenGL over DirectX except for performance, or if one crashes - they should be identical visually.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Not sure, but if you're swapping back and forth between 1.7.2 and 1.8 it may screw with your preferences. Solution is to just use 1.8 :)
myth2

Post by myth2 »

Yes, the driver was updated.

If the most recent crashlog is still driver related why was it possible to play so many games in a row?

I might install DX11 if it would help prevent crashing.

Which prefs would you suggest deleting so 1.8 might be more stable (never to launch 1.7.2 again of course) ?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

myth2 wrote: I might install DX11 if it would help prevent crashing.
It's possible, but it's very much dependent on the specific drivers. Certainly worth trying. Not sure what you mean by "install" DX11 though... according to your log it should already be available, so you should just be able to pick it in prefs.
killerking

Post by killerking »

Hello,

I'd like to report 2 bugs:
1. minimap isn't positioned in the corner, but is instead shifted somewhat to the left. Hiding it and making it visible again didn't solve the problem.
2. when I was watching a replay of proving grounds / playing proving grounds I saw a black roster on some spaces.

System:
Mac OS X snow leopard
Myth II beta 2 build 420

I can provide screenshots, but I can't upload any files > 256 kb.
Should I mail them to somebody?

Greetings,
Killerking
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Send it to Melekor. Include a myth log, too.

melekor@projectmagma.net
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

killerking wrote:Hello,

I'd like to report 2 bugs:
1. minimap isn't positioned in the corner, but is instead shifted somewhat to the left. Hiding it and making it visible again didn't solve the problem.
2. when I was watching a replay of proving grounds / playing proving grounds I saw a black roster on some spaces.

System:
Mac OS X snow leopard
Myth II beta 2 build 420

I can provide screenshots, but I can't upload any files > 256 kb.
Should I mail them to somebody?

Greetings,
Killerking
For reference, here are the screenshots I received by mail:
http://www.projectmagma.net/~melekor/tmp/kkbugscreens/

Killerking: Some questions for you:
-Can you upload a myth log here? It doesn't have to be a log from when you saw the glitches, just load any level and take the log from that.
-Have you seen any of these problems before, on 1.7.2 or on 1.8 PB1?
-How consistent are these issues? If you those same maps or replays again, does the glitch always appear again? ever appear again? If it appears, is it in the same place on the map as before?

I can't be sure, but my first impression on seeing the 'grid' issue is that the texture memory is corrupted or incorrect on the video card. It looks like a hardware issue. The little rectangles that show up in the black part are evidence for this (I think it would be difficult to create that pattern in any other way).

The minimap position thing: It looks like this is the same as it was in 1.7.2. That doesn't mean it isn't a bug, but at this stage we're just fixing new issues introduced in 1.8. The minimap code has lots of issues in general, I hope we'll be able to do a full rewrite on it in some future version. I do notice a black border pixel on your minimap that looks incorrect, which may be related to your other issue.
killerking

Post by killerking »

Hello,

Unfortunately I can't provide a mythlog.txt because I don't have access to the computer I played that game on right now - but I can ask someone to send it to me, so I'll post it later.

I haven't seen this bug on 1.8 pb1, but I played that only for a few days and I can't remember having played proving grounds at that time.

I'm not able to reproduce this, because I don't have access to the computer I had this bug on.

I know this isn't the most usefull answer, but it's all I got at the moment.

Greetings,
Killerking
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

With Macs, there's much less chance of it being outdated graphics drivers since the hardware (Mac) and software (OSX) are so closely linked.

Just to make sure you covered all your bases, do a Software Update check to see if there are any missing ones you need, however I highly doubt there will be one for the hardware itself.

Based on your explanation, it seems most likely that the video card itself is having troubles.

EDIT: Killer what model Mac do you got? When you have access to it again, find out what card that thing is running.