Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Post by GodzFire »

Unfortunately Chaos is more of 'Done-ware' at this point (no offense to TZ, he just has a busy life now and other things to focus on).

Maybe TZ would be nice enough to donate the source code to Melekor who could create Chaos as a subprogram of Oak? What do you think Mel?
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

Melekor wrote:The tools file is used to prevent fear and loathing from running at the same time. Chaos is doing the wrong check. I mentioned this to TZ before (http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... ols#p54040) but he might need some more prodding to fix it ;)
Thanks for that info Mel, now back to not Mything for awhile with you. ;o)
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

1.8 lower FPS. First thing during an earlier version like 1.5 or something 6 yrs ago on this same comp I would get FPS over 100. Now with 1.7.2 I get between 40-60 which is fine. With 1.8 I'm only getting around 20. I have everything set the same as I do with 1.7.2. One thing that is different though is with 1.7.2 I can have Myth in Window mode then click the maximize button and it goes to full screen. With 1.8 when I click the maximize button it just goes to a full screen size window. When I have it running in full screen mode I get 40-60 FPS but if it is in a full screen sized window I'm only getting around 20. So the difference is if it is in full screen or a full screen sized window. With 1.8 I dont know how to go from a smaller window to full screen mode without setting it to that in preferences if I do that though it is always full screen. I like having Myth in a small screen except during a game then I want it full screen. How can I do that with 1.8?

Another question. I forgot who had asked this before but what about fixing formations so that units stay in their relative positions? Like with Bowmen in a line if you order them to mover forward and use like a long line formation. Instead of just moving forward they will change positions and cross each other. So if you keep moving them forward using formations they will start clumping because they keep crossing each other. Shouldnt they go to the nearest spot in the next formation relative to each unit? Is there a fix planned for this?

Also I noticed that with 1.8 when I have it in window mode a full screen size window the zoom is different. It zooms out further and also the camera even in a closer zoom level is at a different angle. But if I have it in full screen mode it doesnt zoom as far.

I remembered something else: With the control/G to unlock the cursor can that be set up in Preferences so that I dont have to hit Control/G at the start of every game?

Thanks

Here are some specs on my comp in case it helps: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz, 3.3 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card. Windows XP Sp3
Two Smoking Guns

Post by Two Smoking Guns »

First, great job, many things in this rev that will make the game better.

I have a problem when I try to go fullscreen, I can only toggle from the M2 window to a Windows window.

So my mouse doesn't work to move on the map like it should.

Anyway, running windows Vista, factory Dell comp.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Sam, use Alt-Enter to toggle windowed/fullscreen. Once in fullscreen, you should not need to use Ctrl-G. If you go to your prefs, there is a "?" button. Click on it if you need to know what some of the prefs do and what other key combos there are to use.

As for your fps, check to see if there are updated graphics drivers that you can install. Go here for GeForce. Try the "Automatic Driver Detection" and if that doesn't work then try the manual option right below that one. If that doesn't help do the following. Load up Myth and start a map, willow creek for example. Then quit, and attach that log to your next post. Do this for 1.7.2 and 1.8.0 public beta.

Two Smoking Guns, what do you mean by your mouse doesn't work on the map like it should?
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Thanks for helping Pyro. I updated my graphics card but still getting the same problem. I think what might be happening is with 1.7.2 when I go full screen it goes to a lower resolution everything is bigger like the boxes and words. Like the pixels per inch changes to less at full screen. With 1.8 it has the same resolution. Or pixels per inch.

Did some more testing. If I have it set to Automatic instead of Windows I get decent FPS around 50. Thats only if I hit alt/enter. If I use the maximize button it goes down to around 20.

Here are the logs

2013-04-14 20:56:30
Myth II Build 417 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
DEBUG: Updating monolithic tag cache:
Initial count: 188
Number removed: 0
Number added: 0
New count: 188
DEBUG: Adding 13 monolithic tags:
small install
medium install
large install
international small install
international large install
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.8 Interface
Patch 1.7 Templates
Magma - Bungie Map Textures v1
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
GeForce 6200/AGP/SSE2 | NVIDIA Corporation | OpenGL 2.1
Initializing sound with DirectSound...
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
DirectSound initialized successfully.
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Running OpenGL 2.1 at 1280 x 1012
Starting mesh "Willow Creek"...
Using 1.8.0 BETA gameplay...
OpenGL: Initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=1, MaxAnisotropy=8, MSAASamples=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseMipMaps=1, UseNPO2Textures=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1, UseCMapTiles=1, UseAppleClientStorage=0
Quitting single player game...
Closing Myth.

2013-04-14 20:59:57
Myth II Build 374 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
GeForce 6200/AGP/SSE2 | NVIDIA Corporation | OpenGL 2.1
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.7 Templates
Magma - Bungie Map Textures v1
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Running OpenGL at 1280 x 1024
Starting mesh "Willow Creek"...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Quitting single player game...
Closing Myth.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

What resolution do you have set for Myth to use? I noticed your 1.8.0 log shows "1280 x 1012" while your 1.7.2 log shows "1280 x 1024". Try using Windowed with the resolution set to your desktop's resolution. If that isn't enough then see if enabling the pref "Use Multiple Processors / Cores" helps with the choppiness.
Koos

Post by Koos »

Hi

I'm seeing rendering errors with buildings in the 1.8.0 beta on Linux -- it appears that the clipping and/or texture rendering is incorrect; they seem to render like skybox textures. I'm attaching screenshots of 1.7.2 (correct rendering), and 1.8.0 (two different angles; note that the reflection of the windmill seems to be correct).
Attachments
windmill.zip
(106.43 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

Changelog-
Recall a preset by pressing one of the # keys (no modifiers required).

ive tried this time and time again, I hold alt and 1, alt and 2 and have my units preset.

Then I press 1 or 2 on their own and nothing happens unless I hold alt and a number. This is both in single and multiplayer.

Please fix this, or if your meant to hold alt and a number then just make it the number only!
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Pyro wrote:What resolution do you have set for Myth to use? I noticed your 1.8.0 log shows "1280 x 1012" while your 1.7.2 log shows "1280 x 1024". Try using Windowed with the resolution set to your desktop's resolution. If that isn't enough then see if enabling the pref "Use Multiple Processors / Cores" helps with the choppiness.

My screen resolution is 1920x1080. If I set Myth to that I get low FPS around 20. I set Myth resolution to 1280x1024. It looks like what happens is with 1.7.2 when I clicked the Maximize button it kept that same resolution but just stretched it out. With 1.8 when I click the Maximize button it actually changes the resolution to my screen resolution. If I use alt/enter it keeps the same resolution 1280x1024 but stretches it out. So I am able to get better FPS. I realize now that I have been playing with a bit of a disadvantage since at the lower resolution I have less zoom and less screen visible. I attached some pics of the difference they have the FPS counter running. When taking the screen shot one of the times I switched to full screen I had a weird glitch or something. I have that included.

Is my comp that outdated that I cant play Myth at highest resolution?

I dont know why it gave different resolutions 1280x1012 isnt even an option in preferences.
Attachments
Full screen.zip
(74.96 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Wouldnt all fit.
Attachments
Screen shots.zip
Maximized and Glitch
(231.61 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Those pictures look a bit strange sam (note that you can use the ingame screenshot ability now), but from your description it does sound like the change in behavior is just the maximize/resizable window. You can confirm by setting your screen resolution to the maximum (1920x1200 or whatever) in 1.7.2 and seeing if you get the same sort of performance (~20ish fps).

If you want to use a lower-than-screen resolution and but have it take up the whole screen, use "Automatic" or "Fullscreen" in preferences (i.e. not windowed) and set the resolution you want. Don't use the maximize key anymore.

kingthrall: did you enable alterate preset recall in Controls?
Phex

Post by Phex »

punkUser wrote:
Phex wrote: [*] Is it possible to allow the new zoom feature during a game by means of a plugin? If not, could you consider to allow it as a host option?[/list]
Not currently but this has been discussed - i.e. the ability for map/plugin authors to make it available. There is some debate though since it gives folks with more modern machines (i.e. that support extended zoom) a potentially significant advantage.
I see your argument and its clear that the myth community might react hostile to such a change. However, I would compare this advantage to the advantage of having a better overview due to a larger screen resolution, which is also only possible on a faster machine or with a better screen. For some plugins with a lot of units, like blue & grey for example, the new zoom feature should really improve the gameplay. Therefore, I still hope you decide to include it as a host or plugin option.

Btw, I remember a game magazine review of myth in the late 90s which particularly criticised the lack of a zoomed out overview as the only big disadvantage of the game. Now, 15 years later, you finally compensated this. :D
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Phex wrote:Therefore, I still hope you decide to include it as a host or plugin option.
I think it's likely that we'll do it as a plugin option in the future. Just concentrating on bug fixing for 1.8.
Two Smoking Guns

Post by Two Smoking Guns »

Pyro wrote:
Two Smoking Guns, what do you mean by your mouse doesn't work on the map like it should?
The cursor is set up to move the view of the map up at top, side to side on left and right, and it does not.