Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.

Moderator: Doobie

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby vinylrake » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm

some players don't remember the name of a map at ALL but will remember it when they see it, so in that case the search isn't helpful at all. (it IS great for most searches just useless in this scenario)

technically it's true that if you don't remember enough of a map's name to search on it then it doesn't really make a difference what order the list is sorted in or even if it's sorted at all, but from a user interface perspective unless the attribute the list is sorted on is widely known (I couldn't begin to tell you which plugs have the most meshes) then an alpha sort makes a lot more sense than sorted in order of which plugin has the most meshes.

just my 2 cents, but if the attribute being sorted by isn't part of the item list it will appear to be just a random jumble of plugin names.

also, ordering plugins by most maps isn't the same as the most played or the most likely to be played. Lots of great map/plugins have only one or two maps and some dogs have 7-8+ meshes so i am wondering why sorting them in this order is perceived to be a good thing.

if there were a poll asking which sort order players preferred i would create several dummy accounts just so i could vote for alpha.
vinylrake
 
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: here

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby MindBrain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:04 am

Look no ones said to take out the search box, just make the list alphabetical as well. Oh yea put the unit trading back where it was too
MindBrain
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:43 am

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby Flick42 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

Not sure if this has been reported yet, I did not read whole thread. In multiplayer game, in unit trade window scroll count buttons work if I press a little left of them, pic shows it. Im using win7.
Attachments
Myth 180 bug.png
Myth 180 bug.png (228.73 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Flick42
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby Platinum » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 am

Sorry if this has been reported, but watching games played with 1.8 patch with Myth 1.7.2 causes film to go OOS. The film I was watching was KOTM and the flavor bar at the top just displayed (Normal) and there were no flags on the actual map.
Platinum
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm
Location: Pluto [Still a Planet]

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby Pyro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm

KotM did not exist in 1.7.2, so it will not work in anything older than 1.8.0.

MindBrain, I know no one said to remove the search box. I don't think you understood what I said. Maybe if I say it differently... Trouble finding plugins? The search filter can help you for now. (As in, if the list gets changed, it still won't help with the current beta so use the search filter.) No need to keep repeating yourself. You already made 4 posts about it, when one was enough to get the point across. I never said the current sorting was best, and like I said I complained about it before the beta was out.

If others want to state whether they like the current way or not, is fine of course, but repeating is not needed.
User avatar
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4622
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby GodzFire » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Well I agree with Mind personally, and I can grab a few other people who feel the same way and have them post here.
RIP: 1998-2013
GodzFire
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby MindBrain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Allright. Hey uh you all probably know about this suggestion, but I just wanted to mention it again cause it's real simple but good. And that is when you're hosting a game if there could be a notification sound that plays when someone joins, something not annoying sounding, somewhat subdued. Often I might be hosting and waiting and browsing webpages with myth in the background, I forget it's there for who knows 5 or 10 mins and I come back to it and people had joined waited to play then left.

You might say well I should just pay attention to the window, well the server isn't super populated nowadays and sometimes it takes a while to find a game so can be easy to miss when someone joins...


EDIT:
If you want to do this option with extra style points. Make the notification sound a Taunt sound from a random unit, so if someone joins you might hear a archer taunt or a dorf or zerk or something, man that would be hilarious
MindBrain
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 10:43 am

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby Phex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Really great work, I am impressed!

Two comments:
  • The Strg+g-status is not being saved between games. (Windows)
  • Is it possible to allow the new zoom feature during a game by means of a plugin? If not, could you consider to allow it as a host option?
Image
Phex
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:26 pm

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby punkUser » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Phex wrote:[*] Is it possible to allow the new zoom feature during a game by means of a plugin? If not, could you consider to allow it as a host option?[/list]

Not currently but this has been discussed - i.e. the ability for map/plugin authors to make it available. There is some debate though since it gives folks with more modern machines (i.e. that support extended zoom) a potentially significant advantage.
punkUser
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:58 am

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby GodzFire » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm

I can see all the really competitive players complain that it would give players an advantage/disadvantage.

However what about this:
- Make it an option for Single Player/COOP only, where rank doesn't count
or
- Make it a host option (the problem with this is if there is one or two people who don't want the extra zoom, for whatever reason but everyone else does they could get kicked. It's another way to be segregated)
RIP: 1998-2013
GodzFire
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby GodzFire » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm

MindBrain wrote:Allright. Hey uh you all probably know about this suggestion, but I just wanted to mention it again cause it's real simple but good. And that is when you're hosting a game if there could be a notification sound that plays when someone joins, something not annoying sounding, somewhat subdued. Often I might be hosting and waiting and browsing webpages with myth in the background, I forget it's there for who knows 5 or 10 mins and I come back to it and people had joined waited to play then left.

You might say well I should just pay attention to the window, well the server isn't super populated nowadays and sometimes it takes a while to find a game so can be easy to miss when someone joins...


EDIT:
If you want to do this option with extra style points. Make the notification sound a Taunt sound from a random unit, so if someone joins you might hear a archer taunt or a dorf or zerk or something, man that would be hilarious


Because 1.8 is essentially feature locked, this would have to be something for 1.8.1, unless it's something very easy for the devs to code, which I don't think is the case.
RIP: 1998-2013
GodzFire
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby Platinum » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 am

Just curious if this would be possible with the myth engine or not, I'm guessing not since all new graphics and animations would have to be rendered, but imagine being able to see at eye level of your units, looking straight out ahead of you and seeing everything like you were on the battlefield. It would only really work as a novelty idea, not really any competitive edge to be gained, but I just think seeing Myth depicted in various aspects would be incredible.
Platinum
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm
Location: Pluto [Still a Planet]

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby GHOST® » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:12 am

Platinum wrote:Just curious if this would be possible with the myth engine or not, I'm guessing not since all new graphics and animations would have to be rendered, but imagine being able to see at eye level of your units, looking straight out ahead of you and seeing everything like you were on the battlefield. It would only really work as a novelty idea, not really any competitive edge to be gained, but I just think seeing Myth depicted in various aspects would be incredible.

Dunno, can see pretty deep into the field of play if you ask me. ;op
:: points to right half of screenshot off in the distance ::
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... .50.50.jpg

Image
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
User avatar
GHOST®
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:19 am
Location: MiChIgAn

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby GHOST® » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 am

Q?

Is there a purpose to the Tools tag in the local folder ?? And is it still needed for whatever its intended purpose was ??

Chaos will not run (error) unless the Tools tag is deleted first and i seem to recall hearing/reading it was no longer of use ??
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
User avatar
GHOST®
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:19 am
Location: MiChIgAn

Re: Myth II 1.8.0 Public Beta

Postby Melekor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:51 pm

The tools file is used to prevent fear and loathing from running at the same time. Chaos is doing the wrong check. I mentioned this to TZ before (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5513&hilit=chaos+tools#p54040) but he might need some more prodding to fix it ;)
User avatar
Melekor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 12:10 am
Location: British Columbia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest