Myth Kickstarter Project

Talk about anything here.
oogaBooga

Myth Kickstarter Project

Post by oogaBooga »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/myt ... ythstarter

The Mythstarter project was founded by Myself, Michael Mars and Jesse Guiles. Colloquially known as oogaBooga, Renwood and Road. Since completing the high-quality Myth 4 Multiplayer Demo we've decided it would be insane not to take advantage of the skills, passion and ambition that we've always used to fuel our creative processes.

The controversy surrounding us has nothing to do with the quality of the things we have made. It has to do with personal politics of a community that, if banded together, is the most amazing and talented creative force i've had the pleasure of being a part of these past years.

If you have even the slightest bit of love for Myth, I hope you'll support us. The next video update will contain gameplay footage, project and budgeting information, as well as interviews with the us, the team.

Make no mistake, this is no power-grab. If this works, who exactly do you think is going to be making this game?

We'd hire skilled people from the myth community regardless of past interactions.

This is a time where we're asking people to forget their preconceptions, and base this solely on WHETHER OR NOT THEY WANT A NEW MYTH GAME MADE.

It's not about Me. It's not about Renwood. it's not about Road. It's about MYTH.

If this works, we aren't going to sit on the Myth franchise forever. We have aspirations to create a game in the Crysis3 engine after this, and would be MORE THAN HAPPY to put everyone who is currently in charge of Myth updating, in the same position they are now. We wouldnt WANT to disrupt the awesome things going on here - we would only be allowing you MORE freedom to do the things with the engine that you would want.

We are perfectly happy letting you, the Myth community, be the sole caretakers of the code after we move on. I cant think of any group better suited for it.

I have the utmost respect for you all as Myth players and supporters, and any personal politics are not as important as getting Myth back to the people.

If you agree, support us. Failure on our part just means amazing sends back your 10 dollars. You lose no money by supporting us if we fail, and if we succeed you GAIN A NEW MYTH TITLE.

I've come a long way since I started modding marathon maps, and I chose to support people that were in line with my view of what Myth should be. I stood my ground and took chances, and I never compromised in my vision. Why else do you think i've been bugging you to raise the projectile and monster and object limits? This is just an extension of that. if you guys don't wanna take the risk to expand Myth's potential, I guess we have to be the ones to step up and put the idea out there first.

We have contacts in the industry, we are getting interviewed by different sources, and this is not some fly-by-night operation. This is the coalescing of myth passions by some of the most passionate designers for Myth. We WANT to include you. Yes, even you Revan!

We wanted to have the second update out because it answers things we missed in the initial launch video, but I guess since Revan spilled the beans here I am doing damage control as usual :)

I wanted to make this more special, because I know how the community feels about a multitude of things, but make no mistake when I say this is FOR ALL OF US, NOT JUST ME REN AND ROAD. Everything i've ever done in Myth is to lead up to this point.

Can't stress this enough. We have the ability to do it by ourselves by hiring coders, but we'd rather have you guys as the dev team. Youd be making creative decisions, it wouldnt just be handed down from above with no input on your end. Youd get to do what youve always wanted - help make the new Myth game and put your own personal touch to it.

This could potentially unite the Myth community, if you can see past the fact it just so happened to be us 3 that initiated it.

Namaste.

-ooga
oogaBooga

Re: Myth Kickstarter Project

Post by oogaBooga »

The next video update will address all issues raised.
Anti

Post by Anti »

You dont know much about kickstarter, IP legality, or anything else if you continue to say these things. Sorry man but you're displaying the only naivete here. Do more research on how kickstarter works and the actual legal implications of what we are doing.

It is 100% within the purview of legality, no matter how you slice it. Go read the kickstarter guidelines and go read up on other SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED PROJECTS who did THE EXACT SAME THING WE ARE DOING NOW.

You also failed to realize your question about the license has already been answered numerous times. Maybe instead of bumping this useless, horrible post by revan you could articulate your thoughts in the ACTUAL ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD?

Its very rude to continually post in this obviously derogatory post by revan when the actual announcement is one topic away. Act like adults, if you can't support us, stop being jerks and trying to sabotage us.
As you wish, my friend, here we are in your thread.

Basically, this is a mod that you are calling Myth 4 and you want $450,000 for it. You haven't told us anything about the licensing issues other than that you forgot to mention them in your initial pitch video, but will be sure to let us know in future vids.

But forget all of that. Can you simply show us proof that Take 2 knows about this?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hey Ooga, got a few questions for you and the Myth 4 team. I'd appreciate if you could specially address each one of these points.

1) What communication have you had with Take 2?

2) Do you have permission to use their copyrighted materials in your promo video?

3) Where does the number 450k come from?

4) Why have you set such a high goal with such a short timeframe? At the current rate, it looks like the kickstarter will be hard pressed to reach 1% of the goal. Do you honestly think 450k in 2 weeks is even remotely plausible, or is this intentionally set up to fail?

5) Your promo video includes unreleased 1.8 features (our features) and makes them sound like stuff your team did. For example, the enhanced zoom out feature. How can you presume that these things will be available for you to use when you haven't communicated with us about it?
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

@Anti, Well since people do not like to read stuff, Here is a part that touches on what you just said...
Risks and challenges
Upon reaching our funding goals we can obtain the license - then the real work begins. Normally, when games are developed, there are quite a few uncertainties. Working with people who have been intimately familiar with every aspect of the Myth franchise, from playing to modding to coding, will reduce the development cycle substantially. There will be far less uncertainty in our production pipeline and feature implementation, and more actual content creation and polishing of the game, making for far less guesswork.
It does not seem left out to me.
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

Hey Melekor a few quick questions

1) What communication have you had with Take 2?

2) Do you have permission to use their copyrighted materials in your updated myth source code releases?

3) Have you not seen other kickstarter campaigns that have made $450,000 in less then 2 weeks?

4) 1.8 includes unreleased features (non bungie features) and makes them sound like stuff your team was allowed to code. For example, the enhanced zoom out feature. How can you presume that these things are legal for magma to alter and that they will be available for public release when you haven't communicated with take2 about it?
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Valid points melekor, however I could ask the same about magma's legality.

But i'm not, because I enjoy the fact that you guys make amazing things. In no part have I, or will I take credit for magma's updates. If you had waited until the next video, youd have seen I COMPLETELY APPLAUD AND EXTOL THE VIRTUES OF MAGMAS UPDATES!

I thank you guys many times in said already recorded video, and use it as a platform to let people know that MYTH IS ALREADY VERY CLOSE TO WHAT IT NEEDS TO BE FOR A NEW TITLE, the only thing missing is unfettered access to change the code.

Look, dudes, i'd love to actually talk with you via phone or teamspeak about this. Before we undertook this kickstarter project we knew how it would affect the community and how it would respond, but i'm trying my damnedest to make sure you guys know this is an effort to get everyone involved, NOT to exclude magma or anybody else.

I'm a real person. This is my real dream. Whatever you think about our ONLINE personalities, we are genuine, intelligent and dedicated people who know what it takes to get this done. If I could shed my skin and start anew, I would, but the past is the past. I'm only concerned for Myth's future. I want you to not just be a part of it, but help shape it. Im only trying to get the ball rolling, not RUN OFF WITH THE BALL!
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hmm, you answered exactly 0/5 of my questions. That's a failing grade any way you slice it.

Having spent time around you guys in the past, I already know that this whole thing is a fly-by-night operation. But I'm not the one you need to convince. Unfortunately your (lack of) answers can't be too reassuring to potential investors...

Also: Hi Renwood :wink:
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

I take it Vindicator is Renwood.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

Bungie circa 1990-2000 = fly by night operation.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

DarthRevan555 wrote:I take it Vindicator is Renwood.
Yep, although I guess we should refer to him as "R34L T1m3 Games" now.
Vindicator wrote:Bungie circa 1990-2000 = fly by night operation.
Yeah man, you're gonna be the next Bungie. Live the dream!
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

interesting topic forward.
Julio
Point

Post by Point »

sad very sad... calling it myth IV and the whole thing... Kick Starter has some great things and a bunch of us were laughing the other day about some things that go on there... granted we would all like to be compensated for the time we put into mods and such though really Ooga Road Ren thats not the way to go about it. unless the liscence for the game is secure and figured into the 450k your time would of been much better spent creating a fresh new idea and marketting that on kickstarter...

I wish you guys luck ... Road I'll see you next time im down that way... Oog use the force, and Ren you don't look at all like the crazy myther you portrayed online :) cheers.
Last edited by Point on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Don't forget some of that $450K is going to the new myth gameserver/site they are going to be creating and hosting.

Or did you miss the reference to "Carnage.net"? Financial backers get special icons attached to their name when they log onto multiplayer, so they must be creating their own server too. Or maybe they are going to buy mariusnet and hire plataypus and company too?
Anti

Post by Anti »

What is humorous is that carnage.net isn't even registered yet.