Myth III v1.4.1

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Re: Myth III v1.4.1

Post by GodzFire »

Come on Pyro, if people are too inconvenienced to download an update that lets them play then I guess they really don't care that much about playing.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:Seriously, though, different communities entirely and this one is terrible with handling new things.
That's hardly fair, I bet you'd have a hard time finding a Mac myther who hasn't switched over to OS X yet.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth III v1.4.0

Post by Pyro »

Look, I'm not saying updates should never be double, triple, whatever digit worth of megabytes. Clearly if there were valid reasons for it, then it would be fine. The myth player base on average is not like any one of us that would have no problem downloading something of that size. The Myth3 1.4.0 update as it is, isn't that big for it to be a problem, but just because you, me, him, whoever would download a 100+ MB file, others would not.

There are a few Mac Classic users, sure about 99%+ have already switched over to OSX, but the Myth2 update I linked wasn't for just OS classic users. It is also for some early OSX versions. It was mearly an example. I was not singling out Mac users. I just figured it would be a good example since this (beta?) update is available to Mac users. A lot of players have vanished over the years in each metaserver switch. Was it hard to find the next one? No, but some users assume its over and might not be as used to the idea of actually searching online.

I know this one guy who has had issues with his internet connection for months, maybe longer. I told him he should contact his ISP and take the steps to resolve it otherwise he is wasting money on a connection that is only giving him dial-up-like speeds. After months, he conacted them, they asked him to connect directly to his router with an ethernet cable to rule out a wireless issue. He didn't have a cable so he said he would try it and get back to them. He still has yet to do this simple task and he still suffers with that speed on his laptop and iphone.

Anyways, that was just one reason why I didn't bother remaking that file to make Myth3 connect to Mnet without a modifed pref file. That alone did not stop me. It wasn't even a major reason. If I had known you guys would have gone on a tangent about it, I would have never stated it. :?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Just so it's clear, when I made the comment about OS X I was joking - Myth OS X has been out for over 10 years so that's a ridiculous benchmark for whether people are resistant to change.

Also, while - as a user of less-then-new-hardware and who is almost always at least a couple of major OS revisions behind (currently 2) - I am sympathetic to keeping everything simple for people who are on older hardware or OSes, the example you give is absurd. There is NO reason to design upgrades to fit the needs of someone who is too lazy to contact his/her ISP about slow download speeds or who is unable or unwilling to spend $1 for an ethernet cable or who can't borrow someone from someone even after several months have elapsed.

seriously.

ps. and I have a slow internet connection (DSL over copperwire) so large downloads inconvenience me too.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I think a bigger problem than speed are those who have a bandwidth cap or have to pay-per-megabyte.
The cake is a lie.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

I think Pyro's point is more that a very small amount of work (on the developer's side) could massively cut down on this patch size. If it was super-hard to do that would be one thing, but it's really not very hard or unreasonable to have the patch include just the delta of what is needed.

Sure large files aren't a problem when you actually need to ship legitimate data, but if it's just laziness on the developer side meaning large amounts of total bandwidth used by clients (although with Myth 3 I guess you could make an argument that the audience is fairly small), that's not really a great tradeoff.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

vinylrake wrote:...the example you give is absurd. There is NO reason to design upgrades to fit the needs of someone who is too lazy...
Am I getting less clear thoughout the years or something? I never said updates should be designed to fit the desires of the lazy. It was a general example of how people can be with easily fixable problems. In fact, I have always been against changes that cater to lazy people and have no other real advantage or gain.

Basically... what punkuser said.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

My impression was that you were trying to point out that that some people have slow connections so that is a good reason to keep the patch small instead of having a larger replacement file. You then gave an example of someone whose slow connection was due to laziness and/or inability to find a $1 ethernet cable.

I thought the proximity of your comments implied that they were related.

Not trying to argue with you, I am sure you know better what you meant than I do, just explaining why I interpreted your comment the way I did. No reply needed.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I see, understood.

I found the tags I had, but I still need to check out what needs further work. I do have a question. Are the room names hardcoded into Myth 3? I was never able to find the tag that allowed them to be altered. While I am able to alter the collections to have rooms match with Mnet, the names remained unchanged.

If it is hardcoded, it could be switched to the method used by Myth 2 where they are stored in the "inms" string list tag. That tag is already used by parts of Myth 3 and can hold the room names starting at the 40th line until the 125th line I believe. Though most of the later ones are "unused".
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Yes it would be very nice to fix the incorrect rooms displaying when playing M3 on M.Net
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

vinylrake wrote:I don't get how anyone can be negative about Myth III - if there were no Myth III there could never have been a Myth IV.

that would just mean we'd call it myth 3, which is a great place to be in a trilogy (if you dont screw it up!)

:)