Myth III v1.4.1

Talk about anything here.
ElusiveMind

Myth III v1.4.1

Post by ElusiveMind »

Hey Everyone;

Good news. I have managed to compile the last Myth 3 build made that works on Intel iMac. It is confirmed to work on 10.6.8 and 10.8.2 in that it launches and you can start a game.I have not attempted to play online with it.

If you want to mess around with it, you will need ffpatch2.tag and the binary. I'll post a link here shortly.

I do not know if the build is time bombed (expires after x days), but I highly doubt it.

This will serve as the foundation for Myth 3 moving forward.

MB
ElusiveMind

Re: Myth III v1.4.1

Post by ElusiveMind »

Oh - and I only have a Mac Build for the time being. I may not be able to compile it on Windows for a bit as I don't have a Windows XP machine running Visual Studio 6 :/
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Here is the link:

http://www.elusivemind.com/myth/myth3-v1.4-osx.zip

I really need to update my web site :)
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

myth 3 has nowhere to go... but good job?
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

If myth 3 supported the ability to use sprites instead of its awful low poly 3d unreal tournament quality units I may switch to it, but only to turn it into myth 2 with better limits and cool blood.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

ooga, that negative attitude is not needed on this site. Any kind of Myth development, no matter which game, is both welcome and appreciated!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I don't get how anyone can be negative about Myth III - if there were no Myth III there could never have been a Myth IV.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

:) Myth IV? I haddn't heard of that one. I think we should skip right to Myth X and keep it real ;)
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Awesome! Myth 3 is alive again! Played a couple of levels in 10.8.2, worked fine, and it looks pretty good on new hardware.
The cake is a lie.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

I would be interested in someone helping me out so I can play Myth III on Mariusnet. I could include that as part of any future build or maybe even put it into the client.

So if anyone has that information, it would be most welcome.
mbagnall@elusivemind.com - @ElusiveMind / @FlyingFlip
Developer - Myth III, FlyingFlip Studios
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

First of all, wouldn't this be 1.4.0 since the previous update is 1.3.1?

Second, you might recall this post. For now that can get you on Mnet. I do have info on what to alter to make a more permanent solution. I'll have to look for those notes later.

I had intended of doing a patch for it at some point, but it would have required a large file to replace the original ffPatch file of 80 or so MB which was the only option at the time. Seeing as the update has a ffPatch2 that is a much smaller size, the modified tags could go there or even a separate PatchServer like file could be made and reserved for metaserver tags.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

It's actually labeled 1.4 on the app. I mis-read some of the versioning information.

I'm not opposed to merging or distributing a second patch. an 80mb download isn't a big deal anymore. Hell even a 600mb update is fairly routine these days based on my experience with my iPad.

Either way. I'll look at the referenced thread. Making a permanent change would likely be a good idea.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, a huge update is fine with more modern games and programs however this is the Myth community. Some people still have dinosaur systems and slow connections.

However, I meant that it seemed rather wasteful to recreate a 80+ MB file just to change a few MB worth of tags. As there didn't seem like there was much of a demand for it at the time, I didn't finish the work needed to get it right.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Honestly? An 80mb update is peanuts. I have iPad apps that are 800+ megabyte updates.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

ElusiveMind wrote:Honestly?
Welcome to the Myth community, where the game is not based on an iPad app and programs like OmniPatch actually get some use. Where people still use dinosaur systems that require updates like mac classic. iPad users differ from Myth users. Seriously, though, different communities entirely and this one is terrible with handling new things.