Plugin - Valley of Despair

Talk about anything here.
juliocpaes

Plugin - Valley of Despair

Post by juliocpaes »

Ghost and collaborators,

"Valley of Despair"

Congratulations by Plugin, good playability, good scenarios, textures, and the vivid colors of the Kilt Bersek.
The rays lightning destroying the trees is awesome. the start/end of level, opening and closing in an way inedited.

Julio :wink:
vinylrake

Re: Plugin - Valley of Despair

Post by vinylrake »

*** slight plot/feature spoiler***

Ran through the 3 individual levels solo last night, pretty map and fun too - though until the 3rd level it wasn't as difficult as I expected... Parts were tough but I don't think I lost a unit until the 2nd 'level'. then again, maybe my solo skills have just increased so much since I first played the original of this back in the early aughts that it just *feels* easier than I remember(ed). Then again, this is only normal, I am sure Legendary will keep me busy for a while - and I took the easy way out by doing it as 3 distinct 'levels'.

I liked a lot of the 'little' touches, caves that looked like lairs and other things I wante to investigate but was too busy trying to stay alive. Lightning is cool the splitting trees freaked me out at first since I didn't know what the noise was (I feared some huge monster), not as fond of the completely white screen effect I assume is part of the lightning - not sure if that's universal or just because I happened to have the camera near where the lightning struck several times in a row? speaking of coincidences, is the scripting designed to kill off the rescued dorf or did I just rescue the unluckiest dorf who died by lightning strikes 4 times in a row even when taking different paths?

also, i know this is NOT a VoD thing since I've seen it in other maps that use high-res units -but what's with the backwards glide action when hit by an explosion? is there any way to fix that? i like my thrall nice and clumpy and it's weird looking when they glide back as if they were on ice.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Great plugin. Did a video playthrough with Cid, didn't go so well (Myth retirement hasn't been kind to us) but it's a job well done.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

To finish the level, the dwarves need to quickly attack three or four times one knot world. if not, the Shade brings up a magical dome and returns the damage back against the guys in the Province.

Julio
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

William Wallet wrote:Great plugin. Did a video playthrough with Cid, didn't go so well (Myth retirement hasn't been kind to us) but it's a job well done.
Agreed! After playing this a few times, I found legendary is definitely a challenge. The design threw me at first - guess I've gotten used to large numbers of units equating to difficulty, but this map manages to be challenging even with only 1 or 2 units attacking at a time. Some very nice scripting, enemy units rarely if ever fall into the mindless AI behavior that plagues a lot of maps - often when confronted enemy units will dodge or retreat and appear to wait for a better opportunity to attack.

The Shade final confrontation was nice too, took me a while to figure out how to get past the shield but it wasn't impossible and didn't depend on split second timing, so kudos for a challenging but possible map.

Nice job!
GHOST®

Thanks !! :o)

Post by GHOST® »

William Wallet wrote:Did a video playthrough with Cid, didn't go so well (Myth retirement hasn't been kind to us) but it's a job well done.
I watched this a bit earlier, U 2 had me laughing my arse off !! :oD
BTW William, Archers are default Bungie for stab, u need to fast double click to activate. ;op

Julio, VR, Thank you!! :oD
I'm happy to hear some folks are enjoying my bastard child released unto the world to unleash its mayhem on others. ;o)

VR, do the level difficulties seem balanced, now that you have tried legendary ?? ;op

Let me know if any new UTubes go up please, plus i'd also enjoy any good VoD Films to watch, i do enjoy seeing how you all attempt to foil my scripts. ;o)

Please feel free to write a small review @ The Tain. ;op
IMHO, reviews help in letting others know what fellow players think and that is always helpful for those looking for new plugs to DL & play.

Hope i can get back to myth soonâ„¢ & catch some games with you guys, will have to see what kinda curve balls real lifeâ„¢ throws at me this week.

GHOST®
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
£N

Post by £N »

http://youtu.be/hnInDJrgLQo

We did manage to eventually beat the first two legs on a lowered difficulty (with a number of newly joined players to boot) but sadly had to close down before having a proper go at the end shade.
vinylrake

Re: Thanks !! :o)

Post by vinylrake »

GHOST® wrote:VR, do the level difficulties seem balanced, now that you have tried legendary ?? ;op
i honestly have no clue whether they are 'balanced' - while i was able to complete the 3 levels one after the other on Normal didd I've been trying the one mega level on legendary and it's capital F rigging impossible. I must have spent 2 hours with restart after restart (or restore) before my units were out of sight of the initial world knot. jumping geewhillickers but that's insanely difficult.

ps. what's with the flock of crows? is that one of the signals of the apocalypse? it sure felt like it.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

GHOST®

this plugin has "easter eggs" ?? (as bungie usually do).
Good question of VinylRake, for whats serving the flock of crows? only scenery? or is one point of interest from level??
Also, i guess cool the grave of dwarven ...

Julio
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The flock of crows make sense when you get to a later part of the map assuming you know some details about Myth2's storyline.
asharca

Post by asharca »

Your Valley of Despair is awesome. Change management professionals often prepare organizations for the ‘valley of despair’ that usually follows the initial excitement that bubbles up when a change is announced. Anticipation and relief from the status quo typically give way to feelings of fear, threats, guilt and depression before acceptance and progress.
asharca
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I couldn't have said it better myself.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

bah ... is a robot virtual. :facepalm:

Jcp.
Last edited by juliocpaes on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

asharca sounds like a context sensitive spambot to me. The bots are getting smarter, a new strategy is to make a normal(ish) looking post, then add the spam links into their signature some weeks later when no one is watching.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Hey Mel, we are talking with a robot? :facepalm:

Julio
Last edited by juliocpaes on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.