Myth 3 / Marius Net

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Re: Myth 3 / Marius Net

Post by GodzFire »

Jon God and I had been talking with Ama about putting something together to work with the M3 skl format so it could be imported/exported, for example, as a part of Oak, the program Melekor has built which is completely cross-platform and works on both new and old systems.

If you still have the information on how M3 worked with unit models and such, maybe something could be added to Oak to allow editing to be done on them without needing to create a brand new program, and/or tweaking Fear/Loathing to be able edit M3 tags/plugins. Just throwing some stuff out there and seeing what might stick.

Awhile back I had created a chart of the differences between the game files Fear edits, and Ballistic edits. To me, it's not THAT different from each other, in basic structure.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

ElusiveMind wrote:Yeah..... it's a bit overwhelming.

In Project Magma's travels, was anything ever touched on the M3 side? Or was M2 restructured in any way? My repo is based on a corelibrary shared by all three clients. Was that ever streamlined or cleaned up?

I've talked to Paul (CIK) a little, but I haven't gotten down and dirty with any details. First time he and I have spoken via email in a few years.

MRB
From what I've heard, at one point Magma had planned to clean up M3 a little bit, but FF popped up, and it was left to them. I doubt much work went into M3, for at the time, I think they were knee deep in a Myth 2 update. Iron or Melekor'd know.

As for the source, yes, Magma has I think 1.1 source or something. Whatever the case, old.

I'm Jon God, and I approve this message.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Years back there was a period where FlyingFlip closed/disappeared, and CIK & other devs decided we should do something to keep Myth 3 going. We'd started work on an update, but then FF came back out of the blue with a new version, which turned out to be the last. Magma never had the sourcecode to that, so was no longer in a position to work on updates for the game.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

One thing I definitely think that should be done is an 'official' plugin patch put up on the Tain and M.Net for M3 to use MariusNet, as opposed to Pyro's unoffical fix (nothing against his fix mind you, but this way people will know it's an official release and might get more exposure that way.
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

I'd like to see someone port myth 3 over to myth 2.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

luckylegs10 wrote:I'd like to see someone port myth 3 over to myth 2.
G'luck poking DarthRevan or Gizmo.

PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

Jon God wrote:
luckylegs10 wrote:I'd like to see someone port myth 3 over to myth 2.
G'luck poking DarthRevan or Gizmo.

Never back down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JIiXPBm_bE
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

punkUser wrote:
ElusiveMind wrote: In Project Magma's travels, was anything ever touched on the M3 side? Or was M2 restructured in any way? My repo is based on a corelibrary shared by all three clients. Was that ever streamlined or cleaned up?
Myrd and Mel can speak to that with authority, as they have been there a lot longer than me, but certainly there have been lots of changes to M2. Not sure what you mean by "restructured" but at this point we've basically rewritten the vast majority of the rendering infrastructure in M2 (among other things).

I don't think Magma has done anything on M3. In fact I'm not even sure they have access to the M3 source, but I could be mistaken.
We only have the old Myth III 1.2 source (archived), which doesn't include the updates done for 1.3.x by FlyingFlip. However, we've deleted it from our current trunk since we haven't been actively building it, so whatever archives we have of the M3 source now probably don't built and certainly don't have feature parity with Myth II 1.3
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

ElusiveMind wrote:Of course, it won't build in Xcode 4.3 - so there would have to be hammering on it. From what I'm looking at a lot of typecasting stuff has changed in the later versions of GCC. Yay changing standards.
FWIW, we still use Xcode 3.2 to build Myth II, with compiler settings tweaked such that it works as a UB from 10.4 up to the most recent version - 10.8. Of course, Xcode 3.2 won't install on 10.7+, but it works fine if you launch it from 10.7 or 10.8 if you've already have it installed on a 10.6 drive.