Myth II 1.7.2 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: Myth II 1.7.2 Public Beta

Post by Myrd »

Arzenic wrote:unless i'm missing something there is no "Use directinput" option in the controls tab any more. why is this? after using that for 10 years it seems rather stupid to learn new special character combinations in the lobby... it also seems to mess with the "detach units" key

i'm using nordic/finnish keyboard with default input language Finnish selected in windows
Can you be more specific as to what is not working now that used to work before? (Which key combinations, etc.)

The "Use directinput" checkbox was there for performance reasons - not for functionality (or at least, that was the reason it was added). On the other hand, if there is some functionality difference in 1.7.2 (where we did indeed change a lot of the input code in order to make Myth not lose input if you type too fast), then we'd like to know what specifically changed. Thanks!
Arzenic

Post by Arzenic »

it's not that the keys dont work, but the key combinations used to make some characters are different. im talking about almost all characters such as ~ * ? : and so on. the biggest issue is now that if in controls menu i set the "detach unit" key to be what it was, which is the key next to enter on my keyboard, it also brings up that "Tips" pop-up in games. Even if i check to box where it says "dont show tips" it still comes up. So now every time i detach units i need to close that damn pop-up which is really annoying.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Is this the keyboard layout you're using?

http://www.saunalahti.fi/janij/blog/ima ... layout.png
Arzenic

Post by Arzenic »

Myrd wrote:Is this the keyboard layout you're using?

http://www.saunalahti.fi/janij/blog/ima ... layout.png

yes
spa

Post by spa »

sorry about taking so long to log in here with my notes and observations. I've been trying to jot a few down on mnet till now.

I understand the moonwalking thing will need films - and I'll try to take some notes when I see it in games - which are mostly mazz games - so I wonder how much of my problem can be inherent in the scripting of the particular maps I play.

Also, I've been running my myth with the optimum vid settings as prescribed by PunkUser - since I explained a graphics oddity I was experiencing - and told him my specs. I am still seeing large streaks of flickering light across particular areas of my screen when there are "upper atmosphere" explosions on mazz - like the high altitude death of a lich. I haven't watched a film to see if its in the film - but I will.

There have been more frequent player drops from starting a game since the patch came out. In the case of one player - it seems to happen to him most often when he is 'alt tabbed' and the myth game starts in a background window. He gets booted in the startup - and we have to re-host to get him back.

Thanks for the chat-scroll lock out on mnet. It's working fine.

Thanks for the 64x speed on film playback - on a 2+ hour game - that's been a boon.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Spa, what rendering option are you using? (OpenGL, Direct3D, etc) I think I asked before, but might as well state it here for the devs. If it was you then you said you were on a Mac and therefore only had OpenGL as an option, right?

As for the moonwalking, it might just be what has always been with Myth. When two units cross paths in a certain way, they sometimes are stuck walking in place. If this is not the case, then yea a film of it would help identify which type of moonwalking it might be. Since some forms of moonwalking have been fixed along the way.

Myrd, there is something I wanted to report on that has been happening on the mazz games we've been playing. When the game is over and we are going to postgame, it stays in Waiting for other players message to the point where we start to hit cancel and have to leave the game lobby to rejoin it. So far it has been happening in all the mazz games I have been on.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

spa wrote:In the case of one player - it seems to happen to him most often when he is 'alt tabbed' and the myth game starts in a background window. He gets booted in the startup - and we have to re-host to get him back.
Could you get him to post a myth log?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Myth log of someone crashing while alt tabbed located on this Mnet thread.
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

This was tested with an autohost and two players all running 1.7.2 beta build 368. The players were using Win7 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, and Mac 10.2.8. Each was tested as a player and an autohost.

If one player leaves after the loading screen, while waiting for the other player. The following game will kick the autohost to the metaserver lobby and the players to the post game screen.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

SCORCH wrote:This was tested with an autohost and two players all running 1.7.2 beta build 368. The players were using Win7 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, and Mac 10.2.8. Each was tested as a player and an autohost.

If one player leaves after the loading screen, while waiting for the other player. The following game will kick the autohost to the metaserver lobby and the players to the post game screen.
What game settings were being used, out of curiosity (game type, etc.)? (In case it matters.)
SCORCH

Post by SCORCH »

I was mostly using gimble last man on the hill 10 mins etc, its the default settings after I would delete the preferences folder. But this has been happening on a variety of maps and plugins.
bigbro

Post by bigbro »

Hey,
sorry I didn't answer before when you asked for additionnal information about the 'scrambled name in game lobby' bug, but I had none to provide.
I finally saw the bug happen again. This time no-one played as observer but one player got disconnected during the game. After the game ended and host restarted, I once again didn't see myself in game lobby and when I typed strange stuff appeared instead of my screen name. The host saw exactly the same. The third player who joined back after the game was restarted couldn't see me either in game room and also saw the scrambled text when I typed.
I attached the film from the previous game below (the game was played with carlinho's D-DAY 1944 HR 1.7d plug)

EDIT: for some reason imageshack won't let me upload the picture properly. It looks just like the previous one I uploaded.
Attachments
BUG.zip
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

bigbro wrote:Hey,
sorry I didn't answer before when you asked for additionnal information about the 'scrambled name in game lobby' bug, but I had none to provide.
I finally saw the bug happen again. This time no-one played as observer but one player got disconnected during the game. After the game ended and host restarted, I once again didn't see myself in game lobby and when I typed strange stuff appeared instead of my screen name. The host saw exactly the same. The third player who joined back after the game was restarted couldn't see me either in game room and also saw the scrambled text when I typed.
I attached the film from the previous game below (the game was played with carlinho's D-DAY 1944 HR 1.7d plug)

EDIT: for some reason imageshack won't let me upload the picture properly. It looks just like the previous one I uploaded.
Thanks. This should be helpful in figuring out the problem.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Found an issue that seems to be connected to the autosave film feature. Load a solo map. Using Escape, restart the level. Do it a 2nd time and it drops you to the main menu. The myth log says the following:

Code: Select all

2011-01-28 19:03:07  
Myth II Build 368 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
	3Dfx Voodoo SLI card is SLI configured
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
	Found 1 to use
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
  Patch 1.2
  Patch MariusNet
  Patch 1.3
  Patch 1.4
  Patch 1.4 Interface
  Patch 1.5
  Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Running OpenGL at 1024 x 768 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "GonenÕs Bridge"...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #2532: couldn't open local tag file 'Last Recording'.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\recording.c, line #1551: couldn't write block header to recording
Error: File system Create in .\Myth2Code\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #2584: couldn't create local tag file 'recordings\Last Recording'
Error: File system Create in .\Myth2Code\recording.c, line #410: couldn't create new recording
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Closing Myth.

Since the error messages mention the last recording, I tried the same thing with the autosave film feature off. It did not crash even after doing 5 restarts. Doing 2 restarts with the autosave feature on always makes it go to the main menu.
Point

Post by Point »

as one of the players in that lobby I could see big bros normal player tag .. though when he typed the player tag next to the type was a scramble of characters i couldnt identify was definitely something i have never seen before.
Myrd wrote:
bigbro wrote:Hey,

Thanks. This should be helpful in figuring out the problem.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.