Myth II 1.7.2 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Re: Myth II 1.7.2 Public Beta

Post by Grayswandir »

I get a strange graphical problem if you play with Dtexes off:

Dtexes on

Dtexes off
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

DX11 or OpenGL?

What is your system configuration (OS, graphics card, etc)? Are your graphics drivers up to date?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Nighttime Willow Creek awesome!
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

The top image with dtex is wrong too... there's an incorrect "dark outline" around the path and near the water (where the dtex transitions).

As Myrd asked, what renderer? And definitely update your drivers and see if it still happens.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Nice catch LT! :D

This was a bug in the legacy (non-shader) path of the OpenGL renderer, involving a rather obscure aspect of the OpenGL spec.

The issue has been fixed for 1.7.2 Final.

Here's the technical lowdown for anyone interested:
Vertex attributes that are modified by glDrawArrays have an unspecified value after glDrawArrays returns. For example, if GL_COLOR_ARRAY is enabled, the value of the current color is undefined after glDrawArrays executes.
In the legacy path, color arrays are disabled while drawing the mesh, since the mesh doesn't need per-vertex color. Not being aware of the above, I assumed the current color would be white since that is the default and the code never changes the current color. It /usually/ works too, which is why it passed light testing.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

bigbro wrote:- I played a few games as host, then put myself as observer for one. When I unchecked observer when the game ended, I couldn't see myself in the game room. Another player told me he could see me. When I typed something it didn't display my screen name but some weird stuff instead. I didn't try to launch the game though (screenshot below).
Is there a good way to reproduce this consistently? I tried a couple of times, but couldn't get the result you saw. Do you remember if anyone dropped in the previous game?

If it happens again, can you save the film from the previous game? It might be useful to diagnose what happened.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Spa talking about much more 'woonwalking' in the public beta: http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... #Post25772
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Need films.
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Post by Grayswandir »

Do you still want my system specs?

As for updating, I think I've pushed it as far as it will let me go without upgrading hardware.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Grayswandir wrote:Do you still want my system specs?

As for updating, I think I've pushed it as far as it will let me go without upgrading hardware.
No need, the problem has been found and fixed (see above). Thanks for your help :)
Welly

Post by Welly »

I installed the beta and tried to watch 2 films: the experience was a slideshow for both films. The films were 7th God: Harvek Mountain and Ascension. For some reason it lagged the CPU something very fierce, especially around media / large unit groups / major action. Quitting the films took forever. I had to forcequit the last one. (Also, I caught sight of an effect in-game that wasn't there before, basically a brief, flickering, sharp, ice-colored flash during a Frost Lock attack, which really looks like a mistake of some kind.)

I reinstalled the prior version of Myth and these problems ceased to exist, just like before.

I'm on a Mac Mini with OS 10.5.8, processor is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

You don't need to "reinstall" 1.7.1 - you can keep both apps (1.7.2 beta and 1.7.1) in your Myth II folder, and just launch the one you choose.

Does the slow-down you describe happen consistently with 1.7.2 when watching those films? Can you post your myth log from 1.7.2?

Can you upload the film that had the weird Frost Lock effect and tell us at what time in the game it happens?

This will help us investigate the problems and resolve them for 1.7.2 final.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

In addition to what Myrd said, can you post your video card information, RAM size and a copy of your myth_log.txt after running one of the laggy films?

Based on your description of the lag, it sounds like it could be a texture cache issue. Can you try running 1.7.2 with the same texture cache size setting that works well in 1.7.1?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Found a minor bug. Back in 1.7.1 a minor change was made where game time would be displayed instead of "GAME OVER" if paused. It is broken in the 1.7.2 PB and just displays "GAME OVER" as before. It broke in build 363 when it was adjusted to only work for solo/coop to avoid confusion in multiplayer games.
Arzenic

Post by Arzenic »

unless i'm missing something there is no "Use directinput" option in the controls tab any more. why is this? after using that for 10 years it seems rather stupid to learn new special character combinations in the lobby... it also seems to mess with the "detach units" key

i'm using nordic/finnish keyboard with default input language Finnish selected in windows