Renwood Banned

Talk about anything here.
Doobie
Site Admin

Renwood Banned

Post by Doobie »

ProjectMagma has obtained information that Renwood (aka Michael Mars) engaged in the for-profit sale of original Myth II: Soulblighter materials, owned by Take Two Interactive. These materials consist of the original 3D model files used to render the unit sprites used by the game.

The buyer of the models is a member of the Myth Community. His purpose in buying the models was to give them to ProjectMagma, in the hopes that we could use them for a future improvement. What the buyer did not know was that ProjectMagma already possesses these models, and furthermore, that Renwood had obtained them from us in the first place. Renwood took advantage of the fact that our possession of the models was not public knowledge in order to scam the member into buying them. Not only did Renwood conduct an illegal sale of Take Two's property, but deliberately misrepresented the origin of the models and scammed a member of the Myth Community in order to make a quick buck.

A little backstory seems appropriate here. The models were obtained by ProjectMagma in 2009 for use in a future enhancement to Myth II, currently planned for Myth II 1.8. Their existence was kept secret because we did not want to make a premature announcement about a project that has an unknown completion date. Renwood obtained the models through ProjectMagma for the stated purpose of helping ProjectMagma with Myth II 1.8. The models were given under a restrictions agreement including nondisclosure and prohibiting redistribution. Renwood later broke the agreement when he used the models without permission in his mod, The Wind Age. We did not pursue any action at that time because, unfortunately, the agreement had been verbal and not written and we could not prove anything. Renwood denies any agreement ever existed. Also at the time we felt it was more productive to just ignore him and avoid any drama, especially since Renwood had announced his plans to retire from Myth after January 2010.

Ignoring the problem is no longer an option. Since Renwood's sale of the models, It is now clear to us that he is not retired, but is actively continuing his pattern of malicious and illegal behavior. ProjectMagma does not condone these actions. Therefore, we have no choice: Renwood will be IP banned from The Tain forums, from uDogs hotline (hl.udogs.net) and from the MariusNet server.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
dac

Re: Renwood Banned

Post by dac »

good riddance.

On a side note, how much help is wanted with these m2 updates etc? I may be able/willing to help with certain things, but it's all foreign to me right now. If there's a 1.8 with enhancements and such and you guys could use another programmer let me know. Find me on mariusnet for more updated contact info, I'd rather not post it here and I'm pretty terrible about checking these forums :)
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I know that they are always looking for more programmers. They are in very short supply. Best thing to do is grab a Hotline client and pop on UDogs Hotline.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Don't speak for them, godzfire. They aren't welcoming everybody who can program you know.

EDIT: I was not arguing, DA. Someone has to tell godzfire not to speak for others.
Last edited by Pyro on Mon May 31, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Nor are they rejecting everyone.

Hop on hotline. This is not the place to be arguing about unrelated things pyro.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

wow we just lost one of the most prolific "mapmaker"................. not

I guess that's what people do when their creation's going nowhere
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I always thought something was fishy when he kept saying his Wind Age project was "Myth 4". The idea that it was a...seperate entity from Myth...it just kinda FEELS like he was looking to sell the idea to people. A bit of a "I'll make the non-believers pay!" vibe always surrounded it, maybe it was more literal than I thought. I mean, I know the site said the ideas would be pitched to game developers, but I never read much into crap like that since I didn't think it'd ever be completed.

Something was very funny about the whole activity and shook my faith in the man. Prior to that we'd not always seen eye to eye but he seemed not immoral as such.

Anyone got the final demos of the Wind Age project and stuff seeing as it's bound to vanish from their site soon?
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I know the site said the ideas would be pitched to game developers
Lol yea and he pitched it at plugin developpers :)

I'm sure he is reading our posts and boiling with rage, I vote we lock this thread and forget him forever.
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Normally I'd say keep it open, people will talk and people want to know. But maybe Myth's died even more than I thought in my recent quiet period, but the lack of fuss about this is weird
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

the only reason there would be any 'fuss' would be if there were some people who _strongly disagreed_ with Renwood's banning or if there were some kind of controversy about his banning.

my take on why there is no 'fuss' is because there is no controversy or anyone who strongly disagrees with the actions taken by magma/thetain/mariusnet. i am sure there are people who consider Renwood a friend or who enjoy playing Myth with him, but I don't think anyone would feel comfortable trying to defend Ren's (illegal/immoral) actions that earned him a near community-wide ban.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

The Elfoid wrote:Anyone got the final demos of the Wind Age project and stuff seeing as it's bound to vanish from their site soon?
Actually, I've been helping Ren script one of their maps, which was meant to be included in demo. It was pretty good I'd say. However, I never knew that Renwood "took" this stuff from Magma. And of course I'm not going to support any illegal actions, so our cooperation is over right now. That's a bit sad and pathetic at the same time.

Well, it seems that it's time to make some plug on my own, hehe :wink:
ozone

Post by ozone »

gugusm wrote:Actually, I've been helping Ren script one of their maps, which was meant to be included in demo. It was pretty good I'd say. However, I never knew that Renwood "took" this stuff from Magma. And of course I'm not going to support any illegal actions, so our cooperation is over right now. That's a bit sad and pathetic at the same time.

Well, it seems that it's time to make some plug on my own, hehe :wink:
Feel free to use the Twinda collections.... Im sure a stand-up guy like ren wont mind. :wink: Or wait for something that may not kill your computer. :shock:
do it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i found the notice on the TWindA download page more than a little ironic.

"You may NOT edit or modify any of the units, artifacts, objects/items, scenery, code/scripting, or documentation without the written permission and consent of the TWA staff."

Unintentional irony? Priceless.

On another hand, it is too bad that this one person's behavior is having a negative impact on the development of a major new Myth project (TWindA) which was being worked on by a whole team of talented people. I completely understand why other mapmakers wouldn't want to continue collaborating on anything Renwood related, but it's a shame that Renwood's actions (imo someone whose contribution as anything other than project cheerleader and team leader is nebulous at best) could taint or reflect badly on the rest of the team, who I am sure put a heck of a lot of work into this project.

If (as I assume) Renwood acted alone, his shame and any community condemnation should be aimed at him alone.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:i found the notice on the TWindA download page more than a little ironic.

"You may NOT edit or modify any of the units, artifacts, objects/items, scenery, code/scripting, or documentation without the written permission and consent of the TWA staff."

Unintentional irony? Priceless.

On another hand, it is too bad that this one person's behavior is having a negative impact on the development of a major new Myth project (TWindA) which was being worked on by a whole team of talented people. I completely understand why other mapmakers wouldn't want to continue collaborating on anything Renwood related, but it's a shame that Renwood's actions (imo someone whose contribution as anything other than project cheerleader and team leader is nebulous at best) could taint or reflect badly on the rest of the team, who I am sure put a heck of a lot of work into this project.

If (as I assume) Renwood acted alone, his shame and any community condemnation should be aimed at him alone.
This. I would love to see TWA solo demo finished by other team members.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
heathen

Post by heathen »

does this mean that we can no longer use/play his HD wind age on marius? i have the plug and dont want to be banned. i am in no way affiliated with renwood and rather deplore his actions.