Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta #2

Talk about anything here.
Sivart343

Re: Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta #2

Post by Sivart343 »

I honestly don't see why they wouldn't. With the Myth community as small as it is, why not help it a little by just playtesting the Beta.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Maybe allow game names to be longer.
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

Since using the beta #2 (this issue did not seem to appear in beta #1) I have been having problems which are similar to problems I had in 1.6. Basically, around 1 in 4 games are completely unplayable. The symptoms are that sound becomes choppy, the camera becomes choppy, if i try to chat the input drops a bunch of characters (so "goddamnit i'm lagging so hard right now wtf" becomes "gt i gingggg"), and I get huge amounts of what appears to be network lag (game freezes and starts going again 30 seconds later).

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz with the 10.6.2 and an ATI Radeon X1600 gfx card. Ask if you want more details.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Next time it happens, can you tab out and open Activity Monitor (it's in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Check if any process other than Myth II is taking up a lot of CPU time.

If it's only Myth II, click the "Sample Process" icon at the top of the window (with Myth II selected), and copy the output from the Window. Send it to me via a private message.

Thanks!
Industry

Post by Industry »

I am on the new 352 build. Thanks for the fixed sound that was crazy when I was playing mazz at 2AM and suddenly the mort balls are going off at full volume. Thanks also for the persistent vets. Awesome-est improvement ever. I don't know how many times I tortured my friends into trying to play the whole solo campaign co-op only to lose our vets 6 hours in cause someone had to reboot. And start all over again. Awesome.

Pyro suggested I post my problems which is the point of beta (I forgot). Renwood's levels are unplayable on my MacMini. I get approximately, uh let me see, about NO frames per second, but that is probably just the insane resolution they modeled the collections at. Easy enough to solve, don't play them. This one is a little more annoying, my units frequently de-select? I am driving a unit around the map and suddenly he's off attacking something because he didn't get my latest move order, because he (and no other unit) is no longer selected. I've also had presets disappear (which is usually how I get him back). Its very weird and super annoying.

Hmm, probably should have started bad and ended with the praise. Please re-read the first paragraph.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Do you notice any patterns when the de-selection occurs? Does it only happen on certain maps? Do you do something prior to the de-selection?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Industry, the low (non-existent FPS) with really large unit sprites is a known issue for most macs (other than higher end MacBook Pros and the High end desktop machines) - I have a 2009 (late) mini wiht 2GB RAM and have the same problem, it's also been reported with iMacs. You can tweak the texture cache and improve the FPS significantly, but it's unlikely you'll get a FPS fast enough to let you play with other players. This is NOT unique to the TWindA project you mentioned, it also occurs on Macs running Carlinho's greek conversion (another that uses really large sprites). See seperate thread for The Wind Age for discussion of settings and how to improve FPS.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Myrd. I notice it happening most on Mazz, but that's because I play that almost exclusively now. Hmm, actually no. Come to think of it, it happened yesterday when I was playing WW2 Recon Deluxe Extra Cheese w/Fries. Or whatever the plug that all the kids are playing nowadays is.

Vinylrake. Thanks I'll check it out.
The Vile

Post by The Vile »

If this beta is still open for suggestions, I'd like to ask 2 small things about the new version, both about Loathing:

First: can't those 4 arrow buttons under the action list on Loathing panel be used to rapidly "scroll up/down" through the list when kept pressed dowwn? Because clicking each button individually just to go up/down one line per click is damn annoying, at least IMO.

Second: everytime an action is edited/deleted/duplicated, its vital parameters (those ones written in bold such as name, centerpoint, camera mode etc.) are transfered to the end of its parameters list (second window). Can't this be undone so that the name and vital parameters are always kept first in the parameters list, no matter the action has been edited/deleted/duplicated?

I await my answer!
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The Vile wrote:First: can't those 4 arrow buttons under the action list on Loathing panel be used to rapidly "scroll up/down" through the list when kept pressed dowwn? Because clicking each button individually just to go up/down one line per click is damn annoying, at least IMO.
What I do so I don't have to move actions by clicking so many times on that arrow, is select all the actions between the location it is at and the location I want it to be. Then I click the down arrow and all those actions are now under the one I wanted to move. This however is not possible on the Mac version currently.
The Vile wrote:Second: everytime an action is edited/deleted/duplicated, its vital parameters (those ones written in bold such as name, centerpoint, camera mode etc.) are transfered to the end of its parameters list (second window). Can't this be undone so that the name and vital parameters are always kept first in the parameters list, no matter the action has been edited/deleted/duplicated?
This one was already implemented already for 1.7.1 some time back.
Phex

Post by Phex »

Myrd wrote:
Phex wrote:I think it happened with the old 1.7.0 version too. I could do more "research" about this problem if you are interested.
Please do. Also, what sound hardware are you using, and do you have the latest drivers for it?
Ok, I can't really figure out what's going on because it only happens once in a while and I can't predict when. All I am quite sure about is the following:
  • I am not the only one who has such issues: I met at least two people online with similar problems. They did not seem to be so encouraged to post their problems here though.
  • It happens with the beta 1 and 2.
  • It does also occur in windowed mode.
  • Message text is at least sometimes delayed synchronously with the sound delay. The delayed message is displayed after chat messages which were sent between the event that triggered the message and the moment when its being displayed. For example: when someone is leaving, the "player left the game" and "player eleminated" message are being triggered at the same time, but when the second message is delayed, it can look like:

Code: Select all

player left the game.
    golem: oh lol dropper
    flag captured.
    flag lost.
    player eliminated.

with some time elapsing between line 1 and 5.
I am using windows vista 64 and seem to have a Realtek High Definition hardware and a Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 6.0.1.5772 sound driver. This should be the most recent one.

Sorry, i can't provide any detailed informations but I attached two recordings of games where some messages were delayed for me. I am not sure if it can be reproduced though.
Attachments
recordings.7z
(62.53 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

If you view that recording, does it happen? Or does it only happen when playing?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

For Phex, or anyone else experiencing the delayed sound issue:

Can you download: [link removed]

This is basically a version of Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta #2 Windows Modern which has extra log messages added. When the delayed sound issue happens to you, can you save your myth_log.txt and post it, or send it to me. This will help me find the cause of the issue. Thanks!
Phex

Post by Phex »

A few minutes ago I observed a "30 seconds remaining." message only seconds before the game was over. I did not check the recording, but I attached both it and the log.txt in this message.
Myrd wrote:If you view that recording, does it happen? Or does it only happen when playing?
EDIT: The "30 seconds remaining" message clearly shows up at different times. But it may depend on the speed at which you watch the recording (maybe it shows up only after it has finished to play the sound?). I took two screenshots as a reference.
Attachments
log.7z
(17.06 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
The Vile

Post by The Vile »

I don't know if this was already implemented into v1.7 of Myth II, so if not I'd like to ask a small thing about the game films (the recorded game films, please do not mistake them for the intro and SMK ones!): when viewing the film, can't it have some "controls" to REW and/or PAUSE the film for example, without quitting it and viewing again from the start? Kind of, in the same style of those old VHS players (now modern DVD/Blu-Ray players)?
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!