Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta

Talk about anything here.
Graydon

Re: Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta

Post by Graydon »

This is a quote from another thread that was made in the wrong spot, but I think is a valid point and have considered suggesting on numerous occasions over the years, but always seem to forget to mention it.
The Vile wrote:Also, the thing I'll talk now is not truly a game bug, but rather an aesthetic detail: if you select a very experienced unit, his status bar displays the number of killed enemies (by shields/skulls) and how many battles he survived (by spear heads), so for example - hypothetically only -, a Bowman survived 3 battles and killed 20 enemies. So my question is: instead of filling up a unit's status bar with lots of shields/skulls and spear heads, can't it simply have a single shield/skull icon with an integer value aside denoting how many enemies the unit killed, and a single spear head icon counting up how many battles the unit fought?
Perhap's he doesn't realize that this does occur when the number of shields gets to the end of your status bar. But with high resolution monitors these days with 1400+ pixels in width, you have to get LOTS of kills in reg games to finally get it to start counting in #s rather than adding icons. It's hard to hand count 92 kills in a mazz game. Why not just have it count from kill 2. First kill makes the first shield show up, then every subsequent kill is simply counted. Maybe make it a pref if people argue that they like to see a big band of shields across their statusbar.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Falcon wrote:
Enabling OpenGL 3D fog will no longer result in a 'white screen of death' with ATI video cards
li3s
Here's an idea genius, how about give us some information about your situation so the issue can get tracked down.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Saved film from legendary DoD game (rc32c) on 1.7.1 public beta for Myrd/Melekor to lookover:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/264i0s
teronas

Post by teronas »

I think we should add the ability to remember the network preference for hosted port. It is very irritating to have to change the port every single time. I am not sure if this has been discussed at all...
devSin

Post by devSin »

Graydon wrote:It's hard to hand count 92 kills in a mazz game. Why not just have it count from kill 2. First kill makes the first shield show up, then every subsequent kill is simply counted. Maybe make it a pref if people argue that they like to see a big band of shields across their statusbar.
Maybe it should default to the lesser of the experience limit for the map (or the monster; I can't remember whose attribute the experience limit belongs to) or the width of the screen (so in standard Soulblighter levels, it would switch from 3 shields to Shield (4) after the fourth kill)? I'm not sure it matters for the veteran display (I guess it could be the same, or always be the truncated counter).

This way, if you're still getting shields, you know that your unit is getting better (even if you can't easily count all the shields, although with a normal experience cap, that wouldn't be a problem), and you can tell it's the best possible (and still count its kills) after it exceeds the limit.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I guess my question would be 'why, in game, is it important for me to know if my unit has 89 or 93 kills'? e.g. Do I need to have the exact# for some reason?

also, unless you change your resolution a lot you can easily figure out how many skulls fit across your screen and estimate accordingly in the future.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

On most maps it is useless information. On some 3rd party maps, knowing a general value of how many kills your units have can be useful. For example, say you are about to sacrifice a unit for the greater good. You would prefer to sacrifice a unit with little experience instead of one with a lot of experience. The more experience a unit has the faster it can attack and the more accurate. One a map like Mazzarin's Demise where units can "level", knowing when you are going to level can make a difference. When units have enough kills, the script takes those kills away, removes that unit's artifacts, and gives them better versions of those artifacts. When they level, they are slow to attack once again even though their attacks do more damage than the old ones.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

vinylrake wrote:I guess my question would be 'why, in game, is it important for me to know if my unit has 89 or 93 kills'? e.g. Do I need to have the exact# for some reason?
It's not important. It's just fun.

I've always kinda wished there was some 'final screen' after completing a singleplayer campaign that listed your top veterans and their total kills…Just for kicks.
The cake is a lie.
steelaxe

Post by steelaxe »

can you people not simply count the shields? or, in a long coop, just wait for the shields to fill up the bar (about 30-40 kills) and it will give you a numerical readout.
HAPPY MYTHING!
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Counitng those shields while playing Myth campaign has always been fun for me :wink:
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

steelaxe wrote:can you people not simply count the shields? or, in a long coop, just wait for the shields to fill up the bar (about 30-40 kills) and it will give you a numerical readout.
Depends on your resolution. I think it takes closer to 70 shields to fill up the bar on my screen.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if you know about how many kills it takes to fill your screens then unless you need to know the precise # you already have a good way to get a close approximation. i mean it's not too hard to look at a trail of markers and tell whether it's 10%, 25% 50% or 90% (For example) of the length of the screen which is pretty easily converted into an actual #. (that said, I don't have an objection to showing # of kills as an integer, I just kind of like the old school kill merit badges)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

vinylrake wrote:(that said, I don't have an objection to showing # of kills as an integer, I just kind of like the old school kill merit badges)
I think it's best implemented by a preference toggle, so the user can choose whether to count it old school, or count it new school.

To fortify my reason to see a single interger counter:

Not many plugs utilize the feature, other than your big plugs like Mazz, but somewhere along the line it was set up so that you can designate at what kill that monster has become a 'full veteran'. In mazz maps this number is typically very high, in the hundreds. Let me put forth my example though: In our work in progress, TFV, all the various units all have increased-from-bungie-default vetting limits, however not all are the same. When the plugin is released we plan to include a PDF 'manual' similar to the TFL and M2 manuals that accompanied the games. It will illustrate all the various vetting 'limits' for each character. Once this information is known, it could be put to use in-game. For example, lets say the archer vet limit is 15 kills; if archer x has 16 kills and archer y has 15 kills, and archer z has 13 kills, and you have 2 souless to kill, you can micro your 3 archers into a situation where archer z gets both kills, bringing him up to full vet like his other 2 fellows, making the trio more powerful. Ok? So what?

On my resolution of 1440x900, the shields show up fairly small. With the numbers mentioned above, they certainly dont come anywhere near the full bar length, but it's still enough that you cant just glance and count your kills in that glance. In an online on the fly game situation, where you can't pause and count each archer's kills out manually, having this quick # reference could help keep your army at it's peak potential throughout the map and campaign.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

It takes about 100 shields at 1920x1200, which is a lot of counting to do. I'd like to have it show the integer after a small number, like 10 kills, instead of waiting for it to fill the width of the screen.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

...or have resizable kill merit badges.... ;p