TFL, vTFL(The Fallen Levels) difference list

Talk about anything here.
Jon God

TFL, vTFL(The Fallen Levels) difference list

Post by Jon God »

Since this keeps getting asked, and I myself am curious, I am starting a list of differences between Myth: The Fallen Lords, and Myth II using vTFL and The Fallen Levels.

Another reason for making this list, is a potential update to The Fallen Levels and vTFL.

For vTFL, there are things such as the missing J-Man collection. For The Fallen Levels, with vTFL on, it's like TFL. However without vTFL on, it's like half-TFL, half-M2, with Fir Bolg, and TFL dwarfs.

So if there was an update to vTFL and The Fallen Levels, what are the current differences between them and The Fallen Lords?

THE LIST (Taken from topics on these forums):

- (TFL)In the second level, the health of the Mayor does not change according to chosen difficult. He always has the normal health level. In TFL, his health did change with the difficulty, being a full bar on legendary.

- (TFL)In the secret dorf level, later on you get reinforcements by dorfs parachuting from above. In vTFL, the parachuting animation is bugged for some reason on this level. The dorfs will simple popup from the ground with the parachute animation playing.

- (TFL)In the Last Battle (alric vs balor), sometimes one of the fetches, instead of attacking your starting units, go for the units at the flag where Alric is. They don't respond at all and get zapped to death. When you arrive, a good portion of the units are dead, making the level much harder. Seems to happen more on legendary (extra fetch maybe being spawned maybe)?

- (TFL)The trow does not run off and dissappear (aka fall off the mesh) on Shadow of Mountain level when he "retreats" at lower difficulty levels. Instead he stops at the edge of the map.

- (TFL)Several things that stand out that have not been corrected in vTFL are when a player hits "T" with alric or similar he can not cast his spell on to any units, only enemies. However in TFL he could do so for all units.

- (TFL)The other much more problem was that unit passability for certain terrains has not been correctly ported, for instance in vTFL pools of iron (and ground zero), the zerks can walk straight up sloped areas that they simply can't in TFL.

- (vTFL)Chain lightening and chain kicking are stripped from vTFL, so is an odd quirk in which shift clicking your units on enemies also targets Friendly team players nearby is also absent from vTFL.

- (vTFL)vTFL also adds a team attack key combo that should be best left at that to avoid abuse.

- (vTFL)vTFL doesn't use TFL Journeyman collection.

- (vTFL)vTFL uses Chimera Fir Bolg collection, and Iron's Mrymadon collection.

- (TFL) On flight from covenant, there is a small crack between one of the models and the mesh. screenshot: http://www.projectmagma.net/~melekor/up ... models.jpg

- (TFL Multi) The TFL Multiplayer Mappack's "InCarn8 (Dark)" map has an extra Trow belonging to the center left team that starts on the center right team's side.

- (TFL) On Crows' bridge, it appears that the verticies of the bridge model's water plane do not wobble, which creates a discontinuity.

- (vTFL/TFL?) Ghols in vTFL don't make melee units break formation and charge them when they taunt, they did in the original TFL.

- (vTFL) vTFL doesn't use the TFL spider collection

- (TFL) The collection references for the soulless are off, in TFL they were more bight pink, in The Fallen Levels, they are Myth 2 styled more purple.

- (TFL) There was no wildlife in TFL.

Please list any other differences, I will add them to the list.
Last edited by Jon God on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Re: TFL, vTFL(The Fallen Levels) difference list

Post by vinylrake »

Jon God wrote:- In the secret dorf level, later on you get reinforcements by dorfs parachuting from above. In vTFL, the parachuting animation is bugged for some reason on this level. The dorfs will simple popup from the ground with the parachute animation playing.
Works fine for me. I just played it and dorfs fell from sky with parachutes opening normally.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:
Jon God wrote:- In the secret dorf level, later on you get reinforcements by dorfs parachuting from above. In vTFL, the parachuting animation is bugged for some reason on this level. The dorfs will simple popup from the ground with the parachute animation playing.
Works fine for me. I just played it and dorfs fell from sky with parachutes opening normally.
Yeah, I seem to remember it working fine as well, that's just what I saw in a post on these forums.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

This information will be very useful if we ever want to do a Fallen Levels v3. Stickying.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Melekor wrote:This information will be very useful if we ever want to do a Fallen Levels v3. Stickying.
Aye, aybe I should link to it on the Mnet forums?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sure.

Post by Avatara »

Jon God wrote:
vinylrake wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember it working fine as well, that's just what I saw in a post on these forums.
I reported that issue. I don't know if it's kinda random or not, but it has definitely happened to me a couple of times. Maybe it got fixed by something in patch 1.7? Who knows... the Myth engine does some strange things sometimes :).
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Aye.

Lemme know if you find any other differences.
capital

Post by capital »

The trow does not run off and dissappear (aka fall off the mesh) on Shadow of Mountain level when he "retreats" at lower difficulty levels. Instead he stops at the edge of the map.

Also, if possible, TFL plugin support would be nice to have under vTFL.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

capital wrote:The trow does not run off and dissappear (aka fall off the mesh) on Shadow of Mountain level when he "retreats" at lower difficulty levels. Instead he stops at the edge of the map.

Also, if possible, TFL plugin support would be nice to have under vTFL.
Added the TFL issue to the list.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

It may not be a difference between TFL and vTFL but the TFL cutscenes are worth bringing up.

The Mac Myth II Universal build can't play smacker video files like what Bungie used for the Myth cutscenes. So they would need to be converted to Quicktime to be run with on those Macs.

I don't think the original uncompressed TFL cutscenes still exist but you can download a couple of higher resolution TFL smacker cutscene files for Myth II from here.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Eddaweaver wrote: I don't think the original uncompressed TFL cutscenes still exist but you can download a couple of higher resolution TFL smacker cutscene files for Myth II from here.
Wow, those are definitely higher quality that the ones in the cutscenes.gor files (if extracted). Any idea where those came from?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

From the TFL beta. I told Eddaweaver there was no point in uploading since I've had them in my folder for a long time already. And just for kicks, this is how the TFL beta's pregame looked.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

See, I KNEW that old TFL Beta would have some use to it!
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Pyro wrote:From the TFL beta. I told Eddaweaver there was no point in uploading since I've had them in my folder for a long time already.
I wouldn't have bothered if the files were named correctly. When Myth II opens a CUTSCENE.GOR it extracts the cutscene to a new binary in the cutscene folder and plays from it. The ones for Crow's Bridge and Bagrada are 01cr.smk and 07ba.smk.