Soulblighter Q&A Interview

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Soulblighter Q&A Interview

Post by GodzFire »

Another find from the files on uDogs:

This is chat info from "Solomon" (the direct sales head), Mark Bernal, Jason Regier, and Matt Soell (Proud Flesh). ColdFront was around but I don't think he said anything.

EDITORS
•The editors will be for Mac & Wintel (Solomon)
•Editing scripts--Jason: "AFAIK the editors will not be crippled. We can script maps, and so will you. But don't take that as the official word...things do change in this biz"
•Editor--"I don't think you'll be able to make models" (Matt)

DEVELOPMENT
•Mark B. works w/ 3 other artists (Mark)
•We haven't said whether there would be a public beta test or not. If there is a public beta, it will be international. But I'm not saying there WILL be one--we don't know yet. There will be announcement regarding signup for the private beta, but a public beta is, well, PUBLIC--you don't have to sign up. For the sign up, that'll be done on a web page. (Solomon)

THE GAME
•Q--Mark, will the campaign lengths be about the same as the current ones?
A--The campaign lengths vary. (Mark)
•The units DO run sometimes (Solomon)
•Water won't be transparent but you can still see the fish (Mark)
•Myth II will have a cooler box than Myth I (Solomon)
•Texture resolution will vary from object to object (!). It depends on how important the object is and how big it is on screen (Mark)
•Someone asked a qts about the look of the warriors...I missed it though.
A--The look of the warriors changed because...well you'll see. I like the look of the old warriors also (Mark)
•Q--Will there be forest giants?
A--There will always be forest giants...one way or another... (Mark)
•Q--Can Doug Zartman please do that flaming Bob scream for burning villagers?
A--That's all Doug DOES around here... (Solomon)
•"Catapults would be cool" "Dirigibles would rock" (Mark)
•Q--How about units that could build stuff?
A--We don't wanna build stuff, we wanna blow it up! (Solomon)
•There are night time maps (Mark)
•Q--Will we be able to customize formations?
A--Don't know yet (Solomon)
•Due to memory issues they did not increase the number of angles of view of the sprites (Jason) (actually, he said "I believe...")
•Tribunal: "Will M II use animated cut scenes?"
A--Solomon: "Maybe"
•"We tried to stay very true to the original art & gameplay" (Jason)
•Seeker: "How many copies did you sell?"
A--Solomon: "Zillions, mostly in Finland"
•Blind overhead will still show you flags & balls (Jason)
•Seeker: "Any chance to affect ground shape, avalanches, w/ satchels?"
A--Matt: "Don't think so"
•Fire has a definite limit; you can't set a whole map on fire (Matt)
•Seeker: "Will it be possible to install individual net maps to your hard drive?"
A--Matt: "We'd like to do that, the problem is that games go out of sync if the .gore files are even slightly different"
•Seeker: "Lots of complaints about balls getting stuck in weird places & not obeying gravity; will that be fixed?"
A--Matt: "We'd like to"
•"I don't know if we'll have space to put extra songs on the CD" (Matt)
•About 10 net maps (Matt)
•Q--Why warriors instead of knights in MII?
A--Matt: "Because knights are boring"
•There will be new projectile/explosion units (Matt)
•Seeker: Will there be any new directives, like Cower, opposite of Guard?
A--Matt: "Don't think so"
•"Trow don't unbalance the game" (Matt)
•Q--Will the emphasis be more on magic or on might?
A--Matt: "I think we'll try to strike a balance between the two"

THE ZERKS

•"The new zerks aren't as new as you think"..."Like I said, they aren't as new as you think" (Mark)
•"It's not the size of the claymore, it's the motion of the soldier" (Solomon)
•Zerks will have parasols in Myth II (Solomon)

B.NET
•No date for the reset yet--SOON (Solomon)
•Myth I netmaps MIGHT be converted (Solomon)
•Q--When's the final 1.3 release?
A--We're finalizing it now but no date yet (Solomon)
•Someone asked if the net could save prefs of what trades you like.
A--Solomon: "That would be cool, I'll suggest it." Matt later said he didn't think it would do this
•Seeker: "Will the scoring system encourage diversity rather than unamapping?"
A--Matt: "Don't know"
•I asked if there will be more net games that aren't "end games". Matt said he didn't know what all of them would be yet, ask at the beginning of next month.
•It will be harder to cheat in MII & much easier to punish people (Matt)
•There will be no AFK button (Matt)
•Q--3rd party map suppt from start?
A--Matt: "I think so"

HARDWARE
•Q--Will Myth II come out w/ any kind of rebate for a 3Dfx card?
A--It MIGHT (Solomon)
•System reqmts will be a little stiffer. You CAN run w/ a 601-class machine but it will be SLOW & you're at the bottom of the barrel. A 604e will be fine. 150MHz will be fine (but he didn't say whether that was 603 or 604). A 233 K6 will be fine. (Solomon, Matt) (for you Wintel folks, a 601 is about like an original Pentium, running at, say, 100MHz; a 603e is like the newest Pentiums that were made--not Pentium IIs, not Pentium Pros...just plain Pentium class chips--a 150 603e = 166 Pentium; a 604e is like a Pentium Pro--a 150 604e = 166 PPro; a G3/750 is like the newest chips from Intel, only faster)
•Re: 3D accel, 3Dfx, RAVE, etc--They MIGHT support OpenGL, which means then that RAVE chips (like ATI Rage) would be supported. They WILL suppt 3Dfx & D3D. Voodoo 1 is supported. As for pure RAVE? "I don't know" (Solomon, Matt)

STORY
•Tribunal: "Is the statue in Flight from Covenant of Connacht?"
A--Mark: "I believe the statue is of Connacht"
•"I don't think The Head comes back" (Matt)
•Q--Wouldn't Alric be dead in MII if it's 60 years later?
A--Matt: "Not necessarily"

MISC
•God is an admin, & his screen name is JHVH-1 (Solomon)
•Mark is personally allied w/ Soulblighter (Mark)
•Thai food seems to be popular w/ the Myth dev team
•Jason Regier plays the autoharp
•"Wights are my heroes" (Solomon)
•Jason says he has visited Codex Myth II forums. Matt says he read them too but hasn't this week (just as well, it's been dead)
•"We have a few things in the works that are totally not RTS" (Matt)
•Matt hasn't been allowed to a show since he tried to kill Klingons at GenCon 97
•Q--Anything you could tell us about a new project name Blam!?
A--Matt: "No"
•What's Matt's fave game?
A--Partial to Project Firestart, old C64 game.
•Myth 2 will be released by Christmas. Says Tuncer Deniz "If Myth 2 isn't out by Christmas, I'll be looking for another job."
•A public beta will be announced in September. (Tuncer Deniz)
•A demo will be released, hopefully before Myth 2 ships. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Myth 2 editors will be released, but they can't be guaranteed to ship with the product. They might be released later. (Jason Regier)
•According to Jason Regier, all aspects of the AI are being improved.
•The AI now uses intercept paths, meaning if you tell one unit to attack another, it will try to cut it off instead of falling in behind it. Good players do this manually currently. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Units will move in formation, no more stringing out. (Tuncer Deniz)
•As has been previously reported, blind play will available for all maps. (Jason Regier)
•Bungie will try to make it possible for 3rd parties to invent new game types. Currently they must be faked ala Fisj's Wights of Passage Assassin variant. (Tuncer Deniz)
•No scripting or new formations. Not like we really need new formations, and scripting could easily be a Bad Thing. (Tuncer Deniz)
•The Mac version will not be able to multitask or switch to other programs. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Myth 2 may ship on two CDs. (Tuncer Deniz)
•The maximum number of units selected will still be 30. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Not surprisingly, Myth maps will not be compatible with Myth 2. Conversion will be simple, though. (Jason Regier)
•Myth 2 will have cannons. One cannon ball isn't enough to fell a Trow, though. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Among the spells included will be Confusion, Fireball, Cloudkill and Weather Control. RPG lemurs rejoice :P (Tuncer Deniz)
•Soulblighter is not an ally. This is surprising, as the consensus seemed to be that he was. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Myth 2 will include secret levels. Yes, levels. (Tuncer Deniz)
•A question regarding multiple endings was surprisingly answered with an "I'm not able to answer all the questions." Keep an ear out for more on this one. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Forest Giants and Myrmidons will not appear in Myth 2. There will be a Trow equivalent for the light side, but Tuncer would not elaborate.
•The Watcher did die in Myth 1, but the Deceiver and a few other unnamed Fallen make an appearance in Myth 2. (Tuncer Deniz)
•Myth 2 will have night time maps. (Mark Bernal)
•If anyone cares, the statue in Flight From Covenant is of Connacht, as theorized by myself at Legends. (Mark Bernal)