How do you feel about playing a fighting game?

Talk about anything here.
princepawn-gru

How do you feel about playing a fighting game?

Post by princepawn-gru »

Inquiring minds want to know:
  • What do you think of the Golden Rule?
    * What do you think about spending your free time engaged in fighting
    * Is you mind dulled to violence because you thoughtlessly kill little men on a video screen?
    * What lasting good is done from such endeavor?
    * Is fighting acceptable? Is it civilized?
    * How do you plan to create peace on earth? Do you want peace on earth?
    * Are you a vegetarian? fruitarian? Breatharian? Do you care about the life of the thing you consume more than your own wellfare?
    *Have you lived lives before this? were you a medieval warrior
    * Are there other planets where medieval battle goes on to this day?
    * Are you your body? What happens when your body dies? If you are not your body, then what does death matter?
princepawn-gru

Re: How do you feel about playing a fighting game?

Post by princepawn-gru »

Inquiring minds want to know:
  • * Do you believe in past lives? were you a medieval warrior then?
    * Are you your body? What happens when your body dies? If you are not your body, then what does death matter?
Dio

Post by Dio »

Funny that
What do you think about spending your free time engaged in fighting
Myth actually made me less violent. I have been around violence most of my life..then I bought a computer in summer of 2000 (or was it 99)? Myth was the first game I bought ...started multi by Christmas. Now I am just a oversized nerd. :D
No I am not desensitized to violence for playing a game.
Fighting for peace is like f&%@ing for virginity.
I am a Christian.
You doing this for a Myth psychology report? :?
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Complete peace on earth is a pipe dream. There will be no peace on earth as long as there are bad people.

Bad people use violence to get what they want.

Therefore, good people must fight the bad people.

Myth is a good example of this. If Alric and the Legion and laid down their arms before Balor or Soulblighter, what would have happened?

Peace? Not by a long shot.

Anyway, playing Myth is a good way to vent agression that might otherwise be directed at real people instead of pixels. The games I don't like are the ones that glorify the killing of INNOCENT people. In Myth you're trying to PROTECT the innocent.

Well...most of the time. Please don't harm the peasants!
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

princepawn-gru wrote:Inquiring minds want to know:

** What do you think about spending your free time engaged in fighting?

I don't generally consider playing Myth "fighting", ffa games are more like sports to me, team games more like team sports. Particularly Bacon, which is probably my favorite. Solo/Coop games engage my problem-solving skills more than any violent tendencies. e.g. In myth it's exceedingly rare that you win a level or a game just by being violent, you have to analyze enemy unit's numbers and strength vs. your own and what strategies and tactics will be effective to reach whatever goal one is trying to achieve. In many ways the different abilities and movement rates and attacks of units in Myth make the game similar to a 3D interactive real time chess game.

What lasting good is done from surfing the web, watching television or movies, from listening to music, from sitting at the beach, from just about any activity considered a leisure activity?

Actually this isn't the right question, as you are assuming that creating lasting good from one's endeavors is a goal everyone is wanting/trying to achieve. The right question is "Should all human activities produce some lasting good"? But of course to answer that you would first have to define "lasting good" and then make the case for WHY one SHOULD want to produce some lasting good.

* Is you mind dulled to violence because you thoughtlessly kill little men on a video screen?

I don't believe so. If I were playing completely immersive virtual reality games where all my senses were involved and it actually _felt_ like I was killing another human I think it would decrease my sensitivity to violent stimuli if I were to engage in those games a lot.

Computer game "fighting"? Yes. I don't believe it has any correllation to the level of civilization.

* How do you plan to create peace on earth?

I don't have any control over anyone except myself. I try to be a non-violent person, and to raise my kids to think of ways to solve problems and express their feelings that don't involve violence.

* Do you want peace on earth?

Yes.

* Are you a vegetarian? fruitarian? Breatharian?

No. I respect people who choose for moral reasons to restrict the level of violence committed on behalf of their dietary choices, but I am an omnivore.

* Do you care about the life of the thing you consume more than your own wellfare?

That is a silly question. If one cared about the life of the thing being consumed more than one's one than one could never consume any once-living things.

I don't know. If I was ever a medieval warrior I was either a very bad one or none of my combat skills were transferred to this life.

Yes, on the planet of GeekSCAnia

I don't know. I don't know. Death is at the very least a change and we humans are fairly averse to change, especially when the outcome of the change is unknown. Even if one believes that life in some form continues after Death, the after death life is a different life so if the new life doesn't involve the same friends, family, etc then dying will involve loss. People generally don't like losss.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Archer

Re: How do you feel about playing a fighting game?Uui

Post by Archer »

princepawn-gru wrote:Inquiring minds want to know:
What do you think of the Golden Rule?
Reciprocity is useful, and tit-for-tat does well in iterated prisoner's dilemma experiments. The big holes in it appear when an actor does not know how they would like to be done unto in a given situation, when an actor and a subject disagree on what should be done unto the subject, and when an actor fails or declines to see the subject as a person/entity with whom reciprocity should be practiced.
* What do you think about spending your free time engaged in fighting
It would probably be good exercise, but I don't. Instead, I play video and computer games.
Probably not, but I don't have a study or anything.
Define "lasting"? On the one hand, it relaxes me and provides a group social activity to take part in with friends. On the other hand, I'm expending electricity that I might not otherwise be.
Define "fighting", "acceptable", and "civilized"?
* How do you plan to create peace on earth? Do you want peace on earth?
By replacing humanity.

(This is a grandiose way to phrase it, but that basically is my life goal.)
* Are you a vegetarian? fruitarian? Breatharian?
Nope, nope, and nope.
Do you care about the life of the thing you consume more than your own wellfare?
Not particularly.
Probably not, and thus probably not.
Quite possibly, but probably unlikely.
You are your body, when your body dies decay sets in, your brain undergoes autolysis, and the information you once contained ceases to exist ("information-theroetical death"). If you are not your body, the question of what death matters would depend on what you in fact are. I am not my stomach, but its loss would matter a great deal to me.
Khadrelt wrote:If Alric and the Legion and laid down their arms before Balor or Soulblighter, what would have happened?

There's certainly evidence for that idea, as seen in the fighting between the Deceiver and the Watcher, but do you have any reason to believe it would have been less peace than what happened when the Legion fought?

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Archer wrote:
Define "fighting", "acceptable", and "civilized"?
Though, in answering in this manner, you gave one of them crafty answers, these sort of questions intentionally leave those undefined, allowing you to provide your own definitions.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Archer wrote:
Khadrelt wrote:If Alric and the Legion and laid down their arms before Balor or Soulblighter, what would have happened?

There's certainly evidence for that idea, as seen in the fighting between the Deceiver and the Watcher, but do you have any reason to believe it would have been less peace than what happened when the Legion fought?

~J
Well, let's see...If no one had fought back, the bad guys would have killed everybody, and then each other, and then everyone would be dead...so yeah, maybe there would be peace after all!
The cake is a lie.
Horus

Post by Horus »

princepawn-gru wrote: What do you think of the Golden Rule?
What is the Golden Rule? I assume it's made from or coated in Gold?
princepawn-gru wrote:* What do you think about spending your free time engaged in fighting
It would be fun. Though normally I don't spend any time fighting, instead I play video games where I get to fight.
princepawn-gru wrote:* Is you mind dulled to violence because you thoughtlessly kill little men on a video screen?
No.
princepawn-gru wrote:* What lasting good is done from such endeavor?
Keeps me entertained rather than bored.
princepawn-gru wrote:* Is fighting acceptable? Is it civilized?
Yes within reason, and yes since civilization was born from violence.
princepawn-gru wrote:* How do you plan to create peace on earth? Do you want peace on earth?
Global domination if you mean peace as in an end of War. If you mean as in a world of happy hippies, then no I wouldn't want that kind of peace (you just know if that kind of peace happens then dark Ma'at would come and bite you on the ass with aliens invading the planet, and enslaving and torturing everyone to restore the Universal Balance).
princepawn-gru wrote:* Are you a vegetarian? fruitarian? Breatharian? Do you care about the life of the thing you consume more than your own wellfare?
I am none of the above. Though I do believe that Vegetarianism is a form of hypocracy seeing as they eat eggs, and vegetables (most vegetables are the plant). Fruitarians are to be admired as they eat fruit which does not involve the ending of a life (unless you destroy the seeds of course), seeing as it is akin to drinking milk, nothing is killed for it.
princepawn-gru wrote:*Have you lived lives before this? were you a medieval warrior
Yes, and at one time probably, though that isn't my only pastlife, nor my first past life.
princepawn-gru wrote:* Are there other planets where medieval battle goes on to this day?
Most likely the Universe is a big place afterall.
princepawn-gru wrote:* Are you your body? What happens when your body dies? If you are not your body, then what does death matter?
My body is one part of what makes me, me. When my body dies I wait seven years to be Reborn into a new body.
princepawn-gru

Post by princepawn-gru »

Horus wrote:
princepawn-gru wrote:* Are you your body? What happens when your body dies? If you are not your body, then what does death matter?
My body is one part of what makes me, me. When my body dies I wait seven years to be Reborn into a new body.
How do you know about the 7 years? Have you observed it? Do you recall it?
Perenold

Post by Perenold »

Horus wrote: My body is one part of what makes me, me. When my body dies I wait seven years to be Reborn into a new body.
Where do I sign up for this?

Also Myth isn't a fighting game. Street Fighter is!
Horus

Post by Horus »

princepawn-gru wrote:How do you know about the 7 years? Have you observed it? Do you recall it?
It's all part of the science of being a reborn. The magnetic signature changes over a seven year period, at which point it becomes attracted to a certain other magnetic signature (just like a two magnets), and in effect combines with the other signature (which is only given off by a forming child with the reborn gene). "Copy pasting" the memories, and such into rarely used area of the developing brain (which becomes completely active around the age of 12 - 15. For the rest of the time it is semi dormant with only basic original personality traits and the like being accessed, though during dream states the said area is more accessible). Once that part becomes active the original memories from past lifes are brought into play just like regular human memories.
Perenold wrote:Where do I sign up for this?
You don't. Your either born with it or study for centuries in brain science, and magnetics until you know enough so that you can make the alterations to yourself to artificially build the gene required to create the correct magnetic signatures.
Perenold

Post by Perenold »

It's like Being John Malkovich.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Perenold wrote:It's like Being John Malkovich.
Heh, not quite.