Myth II in linux with or without wine

Talk about anything here.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth II in linux with or without wine

Post by Melekor »

I'm a bit of a noob with linux and wine, does anyone know how to get opengl apps working through wine? I'm getting this error

Code: Select all

dave@ubuntu-vbox:~/VmShared/myth$ wine "Myth II.exe" -opengl
err:module:attach_process_dlls "opengl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\dave\\VmShared\\myth\\Myth II.exe" failed, status c0000005
Surprisingly, google didn't seem to turn up any useful results for the error... mostly just unanswered forum posts :(

This is on a fresh install of ubuntu 9.04 and using the latest stable wine installed through the synaptic package manager. I'm running ubuntu itself on a Sun VirtualBox vm with a windows host, although that part shouldn't matter.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I think more layers of virtualization and compatibility are needed. Anyway, do other things in Ubuntu work with openGL? Are there video card drivers installed?

You could try building wine yourself, and make sure OpenGL is enabled.

-da
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

What do you mean more layers of virtualization and compatibility?

Yes, native OpenGL apps work fine. I tried glxgears and one of the NeHe OpenGL tutorial apps. Video card drivers are installed for the virtualized video hardware.

Why would building wine myself be different than installing the standard distribution? Are you saying OpenGL isn't "enabled" in the standard distribution?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Melekor wrote:What do you mean more layers of virtualization and compatibility?
Just teasing :)
Melekor wrote: Why would building wine myself be different than installing the standard distribution? Are you saying OpenGL isn't "enabled" in the standard distribution?
It most certainly should be on by default, but maybe just in case?

FWIW, I haven't been able to get myth to run in wine for a few builds (can't tell if this changed because of a myth build or a wine build, probably the latter).

Hmm, I don't think I've tried to run with the opengl option before. I'll take another poke at this in the morning when I have more time.

-DA
qwarqwa

Post by qwarqwa »

it works on nvidia, at least it did.
zool

Post by zool »

Install native without wine:

To Install it in Linux as superuser(su or sudo -s) (my system is a ppc one, same way as under x86):
  • sh /media/cdrom/setup (/media/cdrom is the Path to your cdrom)
  • Install it with the GUI but do not install glide !
  • (make executeable (I use the ppc-Version)) chmod +x loki_update-full-1.0.13-ppc.run
  • (The CRC works diverent on new Linux Systems, set it to the old one) sudo _POSIX2_VERSION=199209 sh loki_update-full-1.0.13-ppc.run
  • (Install the Loki-Update) sudo _POSIX2_VERSION=199209 /usr/local/Loki_Update/loki_update
  • Choose the 1.3e Version (Switch Mirror if it is dead)
The game has know been installed to: /usr/bin/myth2
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Good things to come for 1.8.
qwarqwa

Post by qwarqwa »

for now though it looks like you have to have X setup for 16 bit color :? warnings about opengl confuse me too it works on in wine and other opengl apps.

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f5ec,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x54415c8,0x5441550): stub
err:wgl:is_extension_supported No OpenGL extensions found, check if your OpenGL setup is correct!
err:wgl:is_extension_supported No OpenGL extensions found, check if your OpenGL setup is correct!
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
killerking

Post by killerking »

Gwar, you're back!

Welcome! 8)
omer666

Post by omer666 »

Just a little tip:
Try to disable XRandr using wine's regedit.
http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
It works just fine for me, until an option to disable resolution change appears.
Delk

Post by Delk »

I got the Windows release of 1.6 installed in Wine and copied the data files from a full install of the Loki version. I'm facing a bit of a problem running the actual game, though: the main menu appears to insist on running at exactly(?) 640x480 @ 50 Hz, a video mode my nvidia driver doesn't support with my monitor. 640x480 at other refresh rates is available, but not 50 Hz. I'm not sure yet if I can change that with driver settings or if it's a limitation of what my monitor actually supports since the video modes available in the driver are supposed to come from the EDID information provided by the monitor itself.

I can get the main menu visible and the game running by forcing a virtual desktop of 640x480 in the Wine settings but that precludes me from running the game fullscreen, which is sort of annoying.

In case anyone else has run into a similar problem, I'll report back here if I find a better workaround. If anyone else knows a workaround or knows how to force the program to use a different video mode for the menus, I'd be keen to hear.

Edit:
More specifically, this is what I get in the terminal if I try to run without a virtual desktop:
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x16 @50! (XRandR)
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Have you tried running 1.7.1 and using windowed mode?
Delk

Post by Delk »

Apparently it's 1.7.1 I'm running. I'm not sure where I got the idea that it was 1.6. My bad.

Running in windowed mode makes things a little better since it seems to offer a wider variety of resolutions (or, rather, window sizes) and thus better use of screen estate than "emulating" that with a virtual desktop in Wine. Still not fullscreen, but this is definitely better. I think I'll still try and see if I can also get fullscreen working somehow.

Thanks.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Hrmph. This makes me want to mess with this again. Too bad Wine on FreeBSD/AMD64 is such an utter disaster at the moment...
Delk

Post by Delk »

Just to put some of the pieces together, I installed Myth II 1.7.1 in Wine on a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04.1, made note of what I had to do in order to get it working, and also gathered some of the information in this thread in the notes. This should make it reasonably easy for people new to Linux to get Myth II installed, but with a couple of notes:

- I only have the Loki version of the game for original data so the instructions don't apply exactly if you have the CD for the Windows or Mac version instead. The only difference should be the exact location of the original data files, though. Also, if you have the original CD for the Windows version instead, you can probably just install the original Windows version of Myth II using Wine and then install 1.7.1 on top of that. If someone can tell me the exact location of the data files on the Windows and Mac version CDs, I can update the guide.

- I'm assuming that the OS is pretty close to a default English-language Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit) install. Installing on other Ubuntu versions or other distros should be similar but not exactly identical.

- I don't have any 64-bit hardware so I can't test installing on a 64-bit OS.

- The commands should be entered in a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) exactly as they are. It's better to copy and paste them.

So, here it goes... Running Myth II 1.7.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit if you have the CD for the original Loki version:

1. Search for and install Wine either through the Software Center or the terminal:

sudo apt-get install wine
2. Download the Windows installer for Myth II 1.7.1

3. Right-click on the downloaded file and select Properties. On the Permissions tab enable Allow executing file as program.

4. Right-click on the file again and select Open with Wine Windows Program Loader

5. Go through the install as if on Windows. (I selected to install the modern version)

6. After the install is complete, insert the original Myth II CD. An icon for the CD/DVD drive should appear on the desktop.

7. Copy the "tags" folder from the CD to the Myth II 1.7.1 install folder and make sure it's writable:

cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Myth II"
cp -r "/media/Myth2 Soulbligher - Linux/tags" .
chmod +w tags
Alternatively, if you've already installed the classic Loki release natively and want to copy your saved games, progress etc., you can also copy the entire contents of your native Loki install to "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Myth II".

8. Run Myth II:

wine "c:\\Program Files\\Myth II\\Myth II.exe"
9. [Optional] Create a launcher icon for the game in the panel:
a) Right-click on a panel and select Add to Panel...
b) Select Custom Application Launcher
c) Enter the following in the launcher properties:
Name: Myth II (or whatever you want)
Command: wine "c:\\Program Files\\Myth II\\Myth II.exe"

Notes and issues:

- I haven't tried multiplayer. If someone with more experience with that could continue from here and add what (if anything) you need to do in order to get multiplayer working properly, I'd appreciate that.

- Cutscenes don't seem to work, neither the high-resolution ones nor those shipped with the original Loki release

- If the game fails to run in step 8 and you get an error saying "err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x16 @50! (XRandR)" (or something similar), try running Myth II in windowed mode rather than fullscreen. (Is there a command line switch for this or is it only available through the game menus?)

- If you experience issues with sound, try the following:
1. Open Applications > Wine > Configure Wine > Audio
2. Disable ALSA and enable OSS
3. Use the following command to run the game:

padsp wine "c:\\Program Files\\Myth II\\Myth II.exe"

If you have anything to add, let me know.