Creating units - How do i do this?

Talk about anything here.
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

:evil: I've been wanting to create a wicked looking set of characters to put into my Myth 2 maps, but I've got no idea how to go about doing this. I've downloaded a few tutorials and whatnot, but none of them contain any documentation pertaining to the creation of new Myth 2 units. Also, I wanted to use some characters from a couple of plugins I have (namely, Homeland 2, Dreamseedz, Scourge of Belial and the Woods out Back) but I don't know how to access a plugin file with fear or loathing in order to extract a unit from within said plugin. If someone could help me out with eithor of these problems I've been having, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Thanos :evil:
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

To extract tags from any plugin, just use Tag Extractor on MacOS or Topaz on Windows.

To make new units, you can find one of the best tutorials here. You'll need to be on a Mac though.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Industry

Post by Industry »

Has anyone ever tried to get the source to Amber from
Matt Barry?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Yea...that's a good idea. If the Bungie Tools are being carbonized, might as well do the whole load of em in one go....Amber, Tag Extracter, Vegas, Apathy.....all of them in carbon would be amazing. Then you could release a file with all the major 3rd party apps in one go.....wow that would be awesome. It would be worth the extra wait for the extra carbonization too I think. Most would agree imo.
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

Check out the "Map Making Forum" for some more links. Also, if you have any more good tutorial links post them at the thread started by Road.
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it would be a simple thing to carbonize Apathy, and especially Vegas. Those two tools are so beta they barely function and they won't even launch without a debugger installed. Of course, I'd love to see those things get some loving updates =)
Mauglir
Industry

Post by Industry »

I know Apathy is the 3DMF model importer, but what is Vegas?
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Vegas is Bungie's own model editing tool. It was never officially released and therefore it doesn't officially exist on my hard drive ;-) Vista Cartel obtained a copy of Vegas and used it as the basis for their Apathy tool.

Vegas is an ugly, tempermental application, but it is essential for doing serious 3D model work for Myth II. I have been bugging Iron for years about overhauling the way Myth II handles 3D models, but so far he's mostly ignored me, and that's probably for the best =)
Mauglir
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

hehe, probably is. We only have the source to Extractor (which is nowhere near as good as Amber), Fear and Loathing I'm afraid. Work is progressing on getting Loathing carbonized, but Fear will need a rewrite. As we don't have any source to the others, there's nothing much we can do.
CIK

Post by CIK »

Is Vagas actually useful for something(ie does something that Fear doesn't)? I ask because I Carbonized it once thinking it was Fear, which was probably because the source code & project is labeled Fear. I never got it to run, because once I got close I discovered that it wasn't actually Fear.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Vegas is incredibly useful if you make models (ie buildings) like Mauglir does. I didn't think we had the source - if we do then carbonizing it would be wonderful.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Vegas can edit model and geometry tags (which Fear can't). It is an essential companion to Apathy (which is really only useful as an importer). Vegas can do many important things with model tags that no other tool can do (including Apathy). One of the biggest of these is it can create new model permutations. Vegas can also read and modify existing model tags; you can't edit model tags with Apathy, you can only create new ones from a .3DMF file.

There isn't much point in carbonizing Vegas unless you're going to also carbonize Apathy - it would be like carbonizing Loathing and not carbonizing Fear. Also, I don't think there's much demand for improved versions of these tools. Of all the people still editing Myth these days, the only people I am aware of who do lots of 3D model work are Ozone and myself. I don't think Pope, Soma, or iggy are active in the community anymore (but I could be wrong).
Mauglir
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

that might change if myth were to somehow go abandonware, pity the likelyhood of that happening is slim though
CIK

Post by CIK »

If someone could find the source for Apathy I'd be happy to so what could be done with it.

Iron: I've got Vegas compiling but it needs a bit of work I'm afraid.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Aye...I can see how Vegas would need alot of work to carbonize...seeing as like Maug said it hardly works on its own in os9....debugger is needed to get it to go...and even then it crashes alot. As for getting Apathy carbonized as well....I've never had to use apathy for anything, however I find Vegas to be teh shit :) As Maug mentioned, one of the biggys is that it can add and edit permutations....I found this great when retexuring some myth 2 models....why? Because you can take the model....alter the collection...but say you want to keep the original bungie textures intact? OK....well re-index your collection, drop your new bitmaps into amber and set it up....then save the collection and overwrite bungie's one. I'm thinking right now of the ba01 model....from Willow Creek. I wanted to keep those textures intact, but I also wanted to use it as a farmhouse...so it would look good with the other smaller farmhouses. I booted up vegas and doubled the permutations, applied my new textures, saved and placed in loathing. When you place it the original bungie textures are there....hit cmd and select the new perm #s....wow! My textures! Worked great. I did the same process on my new world knot models....now I can choose multicoloured world knots :) I think if anything it should be carbonized with fear and loathing....at least then you have the full bungie set :)

Oh yea...and all mentioned above....never took place on my computer.....I uh...borrowed Jason Jones' comp.... :roll:

Carbonized Amber and Antero would be great....nudge nudge Iron? :)