Myth3 Model format and Myth Sprite Format

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
_A_

Myth3 Model format and Myth Sprite Format

Post by _A_ »

Hi All,

apologies if this is in the wrong place.
As the topic says - I'm working on understanding the two formats from myth2 and myth3. (This is purely for my own interests / fun and isn't part of any specific project etc).

I can currently export all of the myth2 sprites but I'm struggling to understand the palette content entries (also called hue range modifiers). They seem to be blocks 128 bytes each, with 64bytes for the name and a few bits for range of values but.. I'm struggling to understand how you can tell which range of colours on a palette are the "team colours" (they're different for different units so they can't all use the same indices).

My other question is about figuring out the myth 3 SKMD / SKAN formats, I've downloaded the 'vengeance_july27_2004' source code which I've started looking at today however, the descriptions of the formats don't seem to match any of the files I've extracted from the myth 3 tags archives (unless I've extracted them incorrectly). The tools seem to be expecting text files for animations and the ones I have are some binary format.

If anyone can shed some light I'd be very grateful?
_A_

Re: Myth3 Model format and Myth Sprite Format

Post by _A_ »

After spending some time this evening experimenting with hue sequences I've figured out how it changes the unit team colours, it's a very strange way of doing it but I can now change all the sprites colour groups like tunics and shields etc.

Any help on the Myth3 model formats is still appreciated though.