Pending Item

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Pending Item

Post by Melekor »

See my comments in the siege of belmont thread.
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

Approve:
=============
Igo Ghatla [IG]
=============

I finally made ​​it ...
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

paladin MAIK wrote:Approve:
=============
Igo Ghatla [IG]
=============

I finally made ​​it ...

wow one more new solo player ! :D
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

paladin MAIK wrote:Approve:
=============
Igo Ghatla [IG]
=============

I finally made ​​it ...

Again you want to release with no beta testing? Same story every time :roll:
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

Mel, i test the plugin for three days. 8)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

9 times out of 10 when I exclusively beta test my own maps, I don't find the bugs.

You built the map, you know how it's supposed to work, and generally speaking you will only play the level in the way it was designed to be played, cause you know its ins and outs. But what happens when I come along and play your map in a completely unconventional method, and break all your script as a result?

By releasing your map to some beta testers other than yourself, you're 10000x more likely to actually locate bugs, cause your beta testers will try random shit you'd never even dream of trying, thereby exposing issues with the design you'd never otherwise discover.
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

Graydon wrote:9 times out of 10 when I exclusively beta test my own maps, I don't find the bugs.

You built the map, you know how it's supposed to work, and generally speaking you will only play the level in the way it was designed to be played, cause you know its ins and outs. But what happens when I come along and play your map in a completely unconventional method, and break all your script as a result?

By releasing your map to some beta testers other than yourself, you're 10000x more likely to actually locate bugs, cause your beta testers will try random shit you'd never even dream of trying, thereby exposing issues with the design you'd never otherwise discover.
I'm not a robot, to spend all my free time on something that you can pass the level twenty ways as you want.

In this case, I just stop doing plugins ...

I do plugins, because I like it to do.

And not because they like YOU, then crapped "like diarrhea" me for what I am trying to maintain "life" on The Tain.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Something is getting lost in translation.

No one is angry at you for trying to make new things for this community. No one expects you to be a robot. They just think you could release a beta so some players can find bugs for you. They tell you about them and you fix them. Then you release a version 1.0. Some of the people that downloaded and tried your plugin found obvious bugs. If the bugs are so obvious, it makes it look like you did not even play your plugin.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Absolutely agree with Graydon and Pyro. We applaud your efforts, which is why we want to encourage best practices for doing releases. I explained about betas before, which is why I was surprised to see you releasing another plug without outside testing.

Anyways, I've played through the first 4 levels so far and had quite a bit of fun with them! :D Your mapmaking skills are clearly improving with each map you do.

Once I've finished the campaign, I intend to write a review. I have found several bugs, some severe, which I guess will deduct some stars from my rating. Like Gray says, this kind of thing is almost inevitable if you don't release betas, but I guess you can always have a version 1.1 or something.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Exactly. To re-iterate and be clear, the whole point of beta test releases is to AVOID you having to feel like a robot. Other people with different playing styles will automatically try your map in different ways than you might have tried. By getting a few more people with different perspectives, you gain that 'robot brain' advantage.

You could ask 3 different people look at the same painting, and get 3 very different comments about what that painting means/does for them, all of which could be different than what the original artist meant to portray.

Getting access to that broader range of evaluation and interpretation will ultimately make you a better mapmaker!
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

Sorry guys, I'm too tired something for this month.
Next time I will take this in mind.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

bumping this for myself
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

DarthRevan555 wrote:bumping this for myself
approved
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

There was a rather nasty exploit that's been hot-fixed so.. approve edit D:?
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

✓