You guys rock

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
NStarun

You guys rock

Post by NStarun »

Seriously.

Myth is a long-forgotten favorite for me, I just rediscovered how much I love this series when a friend showed me the pre-mission narrations from TFL on youtube. Epic story, fantastic gameplay, ridiculous multiplayer matches that really were struggles ...

And then it turns out that there's an online community still improving and enjoying this stuff?? so good! I can't find anywhere to buy M2 online, I gotta get back in the game though. Can't find anywhere to buy M2 though :x

Has anyone played a newer title that compares? Anything with the dark, epic feel and the small squad tactics? I don't have enough time these days to experiment with games that might stink.

I'm studying for a monster two day exam in November but hope to see some of you online after that. Good luck to anyone playing in that MWC :wink:
Khadrelt

Re: You guys rock

Post by Khadrelt »

NStarun wrote:Has anyone played a newer title that compares?
No. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that nothing compares to Myth. There are a scant few games that are vaguely similar, but none of them really even come close. Well, not in my opinion, anyway.
The cake is a lie.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

You can find cheap copies of Myth 2 on eBay or Amazon. Myth: The Total Codex includes both Myth TFL and Myth II. It also includes a CD with plugins made by Myth fans. Myth II: Worlds includes Myth II as well as two CDs with plugins made by Myth fans. All Myth TFL and Myth II CDs are hybrids. Meaning that Windows and Mac users can both use those CDs to install Myth. Also, in case you didn't know, there is also a Myth 3. It was made by different people and is rarely played nowadays.

You could download the demo to at least get refamiliar with it.
NStarun

Post by NStarun »

Pyro wrote:You can find cheap copies of Myth 2 on eBay or Amazon. Myth: The Total Codex includes both Myth TFL and Myth II. It also includes a CD with plugins made by Myth fans. Myth II: Worlds includes Myth II as well as two CDs with plugins made by Myth fans. All Myth TFL and Myth II CDs are hybrids. Meaning that Windows and Mac users can both use those CDs to install Myth. Also, in case you didn't know, there is also a Myth 3. It was made by different people and is rarely played nowadays.

You could download the demo to at least get refamiliar with it.
Ya I read about it and saw a short gameplay video. Seems like there's too many complaints, I really don't want to dull the M1&2 experience ... the voice acting in the clip was really bad too, very disappointing.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I guess I wasn't clear, that demo link is for Myth 2 the myth game people still play frequently. It is not a demo for Myth 3. That way while you are waiting for your copy of Myth 2, you can at least play some of the maps. Some people still play TFL and m3 from time to time, but they have to set a day for it so enough people show up for it.
NStarun

Post by NStarun »

Pyro wrote:I guess I wasn't clear, that demo link is for Myth 2 the myth game people still play frequently. It is not a demo for Myth 3. That way while you are waiting for your copy of Myth 2, you can at least play some of the maps. Some people still play TFL and m3 from time to time, but they have to set a day for it so enough people show up for it.
oh cool, thx!
seamanse237

Post by seamanse237 »

I agree with the topic creator here. I can't find anything that even holds a candle to the production values of Myth and Myth II. The formations were an incredible addition to the already fantastic gameplay. The naratives are awesome as well and very uh, dark and brooding if you will, full of dread. Its an age old story that just gets better each time.

Also, does anything think that Myth II had a very world war II feeling in terms of the narative and soulblighter? (hitler argh) I am just throwing this out there but the story is still its own and original... it just seems like they could have taken from that in terms of the ONE man (soulblighter or hitler) that lead an entire army to ravage the entire fucking world? :(
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

SB wasn't alone, he had Shiver helping as well. During TFL it was Balor who was the one man, so Myth 2 isn't the only one.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Also, does anything think that Myth II had a very world war II feeling in terms of the narative and soulblighter? (hitler argh) I am just throwing this out there but the story is still its own and original... it just seems like they could have taken from that in terms of the ONE man (soulblighter or hitler) that lead an entire army to ravage the entire fucking world?

I think theres a post somewhere saying it is tied to a series of books written, whether or not that is true I do not know. But anytime you have something with a war you could compare it to any of the WW's
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

"The Black Company" by Glen Cook