New Tain Forum Theme

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Graydon

New Tain Forum Theme

Post by Graydon »

Hey guys, Wazza and I have been developing a theme reflecting the original Project Magma site theme. I've just had Doobie upload the new 'MagmaRed' tain forum theme to the tain server and added to the list of board style options.

I encourage everyone to enable it in your User Control Panel, use it, and give feedback.

I want to hear about 'bugs' (colours or spacers that are obviously the wrong colour and not part of the theme, like leftover blues from the current tain theme) that you encounter.

Additionally, I'd like to hear feedback in general, both positive and negative criticism on the theme. Now, if you aboslutely hate everything about it (ie the fact that its red) then I'm not concerned about your feedback; I have intentions to re-work an _actual_ tain theme later on. However, if you like the theme but have certain issues with little things, let me know what they are. If you're able to, give me some suggestions on ways to improve these things as well. Hearing about things you really like will be useful to me as well, as I'll be able to apply the positive feedback to the next theme I work on.

Enjoy!

Current To-Do List

• Links posted in threads appear to still have a bright blue underline
• Any Control Panel options that use 'on/off' buttons or option buttons, appear in a dark grey. So far I haven't had any luck sourcing the location of this grey. If anyone's familiar with PHPBB3 and can help me out that'd be wonderful!
• Smilies could be improved/changed

Edit 2009/06/10 @ 12:30PM PST
Last edited by Graydon on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: New Tain Forum Theme

Post by Pyro »

Nice work. Interesting look, I like red. :P Though I can't even recall the old magma theme, I still kinda remember the magma theme before the tain was added. That one was similar to the magma site's format/theme.

Anways in the User Control Panel's Board Preferences the "Yes" and "No" words are in gray and are slightly hard to tell them apart from the similar colored background. Will see what else I find later. I still think a tain icon is feasible if you derived it from the same place the one up in the top is showing.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I think this is just fine. The only suggestions I'd like to make are creating a second one called MagmaRed Maxed, which uses the full width, like Tar created for the default one.

Also, please switch the Submit and Save buttons, which was before the change. I'm going nuts having to remind myself of the change.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I have yet to accidently press the wrong button, I hope you look both ways before crossing a street, Godzfire. :wink:
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

If you go to the General Discussion section. You will see 2 annoucement threads, however only the top one shows an icon, the other does not.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

I like it, however, the sort of light brown background for the forums list (Board Index) only extends down about three-rows. Not a big deal for the public forums, but it means it cuts short on the private forums, as there are about 8 in one category. Has background-repeat set to repeat-x I think?
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I'm using MagmaRed right now, and loving it. I only noticed one problem with it so far: MagmaRed is not the default theme 8)

Edit: Actually I just noticed a real issue: the "active" image seems to be going behind avatars instead of on top of them.

image:
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

That also happens with the ProjectMagma theme as well, I didn't check the others. Perhaps it was meant to do this, so that it would not interfere with a person's avatar.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Actually, I think the source of the problem is that in the original bb theme, the avatar size was restricted to 64x64 pixels, and as a result the 'online' image could never interfere. Someone recently requested the avatar limit be upped. That bug is the result.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

You know how certain text like user names appear slightly brighter due to being links to their profiles... once you have clicked on them, they stay "dull" and appear like normal text. For example on top there is the FAQ, Members, Advanced search. If you have clicked on one of them like Advanced search, it will forever appear like normal text instead of slightly brighter.

It seems like italics and bold don't look that much different from default text in posts. I tried using them for some words, but it doesn't stand out much.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I forgot to mention attachments. Look at this post by Melekor which shows an attachment. The text in the attachment it light while the background of the attachment box is white.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Thanks pyro. All things i've noted myself and not actually written down anywhere yet.

Planning on putting an update to the found bugs so far in the near future. Along with a 'wide' version.

As for the italics and bold, i think thats just your perception, or perhaps the font taht your browser defaults to. Italic and Bold are just that though.. internal thigns I can't mess with. I can't make bold more bold than it already is.

Any suggestions?