Hi! A newcomer needs help :)

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Esch1lus

Hi! A newcomer needs help :)

Post by Esch1lus »

Hi guys! I'm a new myth2 player and I have to ask your help.

1) What are good Mod Packs to download? Are there any? Does a full-comprehensive modpack exist?
2) A good siege mod? Is already packed into a modpack?
3) A unit limit cap remover mod?
4) Why can't I register at mariusnet?
5) Good place for a rookie to start with in multiplayer?

Tnx in advance for answers,
See you
Esch1lus
vinylrake

Re: Hi! A newcomer needs help :)

Post by vinylrake »

welcome to Myth!

> 1) What are good Mod Packs to download? Are there any? Does a full-comprehensive modpack exist?

Most maps and plugins (Mythspeak for 'mod') are available at The Tain (click the link at the top of this page), or http://hl.udogs.net.

As for what is "good"? That depends on personal taste and whether you are looking for multiplayer or solo/coop maps. But if you are looking for multiplayer maps, you can get a few fairly comprehensive mappacks at http://www.orderofhpak.com/BattlePlan.php - the first 3 'bigzips' will have tons of good maps to play.

If you are looking for good solo/coop maps, Myth Addicts has a nice list of some pretty good solo/coops.

http://mythaddict.atvcowboy.com/?coopList=true

> 2) A good siege mod? Is already packed into a modpack?

There are a couple of maps that have siege variants: The SleepyHollow redux available at orderofhpak.com and "Castle Defence" which I am not sure is available online anywhere at the moment. There is no builtin Siege gametype in Myth2.

> 3) A unit limit cap remover mod?

No such thing.

> 4) Why can't I register at mariusnet?

If you are having a problem with registration you should probably post on the mariusnet forums. You can log onto the gameserver as a guest without being registered. You won't be able to chat but you can still play games.

> 5) Good place for a rookie to start with in multiplayer?

If you are looking for maps, right now the 2009 Myth World Cup tournament is about to start so there will be lots of people playing the multiplayer maps used in the tournament. New maps will be added week to week, but the current map list is at: (maps with no links are a standard map built in to M2)

http://mwc09.myther.net/rules.php?page=maps

When you do play online, it might help to identify yourself as a newbie. Most people will be willing to give you tips and cut you some slack if they know you are new. If on the off chance that someone kicks you out of their game when you identify yourself as a newbie, don't take it personally - some players are very competitive and might not want a newbie on their team - but most players will be more civil.
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

Thanks a lot for everything, your help is really appreciated. I'll give a try to play online. See you in the bloodbath ;)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Ech1lus, you are welcome. If you see me online say hello, I am always up for some friendly bloodbaths.
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

I think it's impossible atm to say "hello". In guest mode I can't speak at all ;)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

well yes, i was thinking optimistically and meaning after you get registered.

of course if you see me you could always host a game with a title "Hey VR!" which I would probably notice. A little roundabout, but effective, nonetheless.
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

I was just wondering... pack 2 and 3 in ooh don't work.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Esch1lus wrote:I was just wondering... pack 2 and 3 in ooh don't work.
Heya Esch1lus,

Did you have problems downloading them? If so, what browser/os are you on? And what was the problem (didn't finish downloading or says zip is corrupt after I downloaded it)?

People almost never have problems anymore, but there were some odd quirks with some browsers in the past, notably IE5 on Mac (which I cannot test).

Let me know and we'll see if we can get you rolling.

Cheers. :)
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

I have FF 3.0 already full upgraded. The problem appears after I downloaded it: it says "Corrupted Archive" or whatever.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

vinylrake wrote: and "Castle Defence" which I am not sure is available online anywhere at the moment.
Good thing really, it was a map I made AGES ago and is actually pretty shit. Fun I suppose, but not really that interesting, balanced or replayable.

Heck, most of my maps that are on the tain are a bit crap too, I really should finish something to show what I can do (besides get distracted) :)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

haravikk wrote:...Good thing really, it was a map I made AGES ago and is actually pretty shit. Fun I suppose, but not really that interesting, balanced or replayable.
I don't know - While I like the "professional quality" maps with high quality pre-game iamges and gorgeous colormaps and units and the like withh their accompanying glossy readmepages I think there's a place for knock-off or quickie maps that have something fun about them that makes them different. Sure, if there were 20 other Castle Defense/Assult style maps then we could be picky, but as far as I know there's only been one other map (or mb a few that I don't know about) that even uses a similar premise.

Heck, just call it a beta and re-release it. These days a lot of the new maps everyone seems to be playing are betas - it seems that actually finishing something isn't in vogue anymore.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Esch1lus wrote:I have FF 3.0 already full upgraded. The problem appears after I downloaded it: it says "Corrupted Archive" or whatever.
What was the size of the files after you downloaded them? The size is listed on the BP (BIGZIP #2 = 335.7 MB, BIGZIP #3 = 323.7 MB).

When I look in the logs I see a couple of attempted downloads for BIGZIPs which stopped after a little while (two were only in the 200KB range when they stopped, one was 18MB). These files are BIG (hence the name). I see several other successful downloads over the past 30 days.

Is your connection cutting off part way through? Are you doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time (video/audio)?

I'd try doing the BIGZIP download with another browser and/or start it with nothing else bandwidth-intensive (like streaming audio/video) running and go grab a snack or wash the dog.

P.S. I just downloaded BIGZIP #2 using FF3 on my PC and it downloaded and unzipped just fine. Took about 18 mins to d/l on my fairly fast connection.
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

I don't know the reason, I wasn't at he pc in that circumstance. I'll try again.
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

It just worked fine. Downloaded without any problem.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Esch1lus wrote:It just worked fine. Downloaded without any problem.
Sweet! :)

Just let me know if you ever have any problems downloading stuff. You can PM me here or on the OoH Forums.

Cheers!