Hi! A newcomer needs help :)

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Esch1lus

Re: Hi! A newcomer needs help :)

Post by Esch1lus »

Actually I can't understand what are the file dependancies because many mod don't show you if they require something first. For example, many ww2 maps don't have any description like "Required: WW2 Units Plugin".
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

P.S.: Any news about the "greek" plugin with spartan units?
P.P.S.: Any plugin that let me selecting any unit type during trading? Or a Myth Enhancement mod?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

As for the dependancy thing. It isn't always easy to know which plugins you need to activate with others unless you've played them before, have had others tell you, or some readme or manual say so. Along the way a feature was made so mapmakers can give players such a message where it would tell you that a plugin was needed to be able to run the plugin you are trying. However it won't give you this message on older plugins. We don't call them mods, I don't know why, not that it's a bad thing to call them mods but just so you know what people are saying when they mention "plugins" or "plugs". Some plugins will have "tagset" on their name. If they do, then its a plugin that has units but no maps. Some tagsets replace units on many maps or only on some maps. Just like the WWII units is a tagset that requires another plug for the maps.

There hasn't been any news on the greek plugin. So nothing new.

I'm not sure what you mean by a plugin that lets you select any unit type during trading.

As for Myth enchancement plugins... well there might be, depends on what you call an enchancement.
Esch1lus

Post by Esch1lus »

I'm not sure what you mean by a plugin that lets you select any unit type during trading.
Generally you can select map variants like Dark\Light and so on, which designates the units you can play during the match. Well, I want that this limit is eliminated.
As for Myth enchancement plugins... well there might be, depends on what you call an enchancement.
- Higher texture level (actually the game is really low-res)
- A larger number of units, maybe with a new zoom level
- New AI to avoid useless casualties
- New unit balancement
- Working formations

I've noticed during game that melee units seem to be all the same. When the steel clashes, you have just to wait for the winner.

If this game could achieve all the things mentioned above, it could be really an enjoyable game, considering the realistic phisics and bloodbath.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Esch1lus wrote:Generally you can select map variants like Dark\Light and so on, which designates the units you can play during the match. Well, I want that this limit is eliminated.
Ah I see, well it isn't a limit (at least not nowadays) but rather the way the mapmaker designed it. Since some unit types are so similar that there isn't a reason to have them all. However the Unit Trading does have a limit of 8 types, maybe that played a part. There are some maps with many unit types, the only ones that come to mind are Ultimate Team Battles (UTB), Ultimate Team Battles Expansion (UTBX), and Wars of Reckoning (WoR). There may be more but I can't recall.
Esch1lus wrote:- Higher texture level (actually the game is really low-res)
- A larger number of units, maybe with a new zoom level
- New AI to avoid useless casualties
- New unit balancement
- Working formations
Well there is a new feature added to Myth II using the 1.7 update that allows a detail textures to be added to maps by mapmakers. And of course it is low-res, the game is 11 years old!

As for AI, well solo maps have a sort of an AI (or fake AI if you prefer) but the game doesn't come with anything like an AI. As for avoiding useless casualties, you just have to watch your units better. Press capslock and you will see which are your units and how much health they have. That can help keep better track of your units.

New unit balancements? Well there are some plugins out there that alter the default units, but I can't think of any. So many plugins out there, some of which I have never tried.

Working formations... the default formations do work, but you can use Fear to alter your formations to be different. Fear is a mapmaking tool that comes with the updates. You can run the latest update (1.6) and choose to install the mapmaking tools. Do a search there is bound to be further instructions on how to do that.
Esch1lus wrote:I've noticed during game that melee units seem to be all the same. When the steel clashes, you have just to wait for the winner.

If this game could achieve all the things mentioned above, it could be really an enjoyable game, considering the realistic phisics and bloodbath.
Actually, you don't have to just wait for the melee battle to end. You can make your most injured units stay back and attack other units while your healthier units are the ones getting hit by the enemy they fight. Or even retreat while your ranged units like bowmen soften them up some more.