Two suggestions

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Hope I dont get blamed for killing PMNET, I hosted 5 days in a row Full Mazz leg games on MNET the week before PMNET died. PMNET was empty for that reason.

What about the Party Mappack and Winter Mappack as most popular. That seems like its more popular then all of them ; )
£N

Post by £N »

The reason I would agree with A-Red's claim that Mazzarin's Demise is arguably the most popular plugin made for myth is not because more people have downloaded it than anything else (which is probably not true) but because of its endurance as a fun and interesting addition to the myth universe. WWII certainly had a large following, but there were quite a number of people who tried it and who weren't enamored with it. While the same could be said of Mazzarin, I feel it is more consistently appealing to old and new players alike, and for this reason would call it more popular. The amount of time spent playing Mazz is probably comparable to the amount of total time ever spent with WWII, due to its incredible length. That said, WWII is hardly in demand anymore, while the Mazzarin's Demise continues to be played. In other words, its legacy as a popular plugin is not yet at an end, whereas it is safe to say WWII as a plugin is, while occasionally enjoyed still, consigned to a bygone era.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Using whether a plugin/map is still popular as an indicator of how popular something was overall (over time) is only really relevant if both plugins/maps were released at the same time. Or if Mazz has been popular since it was released and it's still popular and that length from start to today is as long as WWII's run.

most popular plugin/map of all time is tough though - it's hard to ignore the numbers of people who were active in 1999/2000 vs. today. e.g. even if all 200 mythers who are active currenly (a guess) love Mazz and play it at least once a week, it's a hard case to make that it's more popular than WWII in it's heyday when it had it's own room(s) on the server and hundreds/thousands(?) of people played it every day.

just my 2 cents. and I am not trying to take anything away from Mazz's creators or compare WWII to Mazz on merits or fun or anything except popularity in the community.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Maybe LN means more popular, percentage wise. So if there were 1000 mythers and 500 played WWII a lot, that would be like 50%. And say now if there are 200 mythers and 50 play WWII, then it would be 25%.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:Maybe LN means more popular, percentage wise. So if there were 1000 mythers and 500 played WWII a lot, that would be like 50%. And say now if there are 200 mythers and 50 play WWII, then it would be 25%.
This is a possibility. It's actually how I intend to dominate both the competitive world of ranked Myth, AND the mapmaking field. I will just outlast everyone else, till I am the #1 ranked player, AND the creator of the most popular maps.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

To make sure vinylrake doesn't get his wish, everyone needs to go out right now and get 5 new people to play Myth.

Go now.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

And don't forget to teach them how to make maps. Especially solo maps.
Fortified Hooligan

Post by Fortified Hooligan »

VR, for some reason, your Avatar cracks me up.