Retreat Glitch

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Spike

Retreat Glitch

Post by Spike »

Ok heres the situation....

I have noticed that when are engaged in a skirmish and you hit the, "R" key to retreat your troops (show of hands how many use the "R" key?) the troops actually scatter sometimes rght into a fireball.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is it possible to create a plugin with a retreat option where the unit/units turn 360 and go the opposite direction?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Hmm, first of all, you should post it in Mapmaking section, second: if you turn 360, you will still follow the same direction :wink:

But I got your point, I don't know if it's possible, though.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I will post in the map making section but the point is that if you hit the "R" key the unit scripting should be that the unit/units in question will turn on their own and head 360 from the enemy.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Not 360... you mean 180. Since with a 360 turn all you do is make a complete circle and therefore will still face the same direction as 0 degrees.

Retreat isn't scripted, I think its hard coded into the engine. It isn't perfect.
lank

Post by lank »

for a long time (i.e. until 1.4 or 1.5) retreat basically didn't work at all, and simply did the same as scatter. it is a hard-coded function in the engine, and it is now designed to make your retreating units run away from the "centre of mass" of enemies within a certain range, if i remember correctly.
*toot*
Spike

Post by Spike »

Well about about with MythVI designing something along the lines of a direct retreat from the original course the unit was on insteasd of the"mass" approach.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

i dont think myth6 will be released any soon :)
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zeph wrote:i dont think myth6 will be released any soon :)
Oh ye of little faith. Don't be so negative. Myth IV is currently under development, and I am currently working on ideas for Myth V, so I am sure Myth VI will be out before too long.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Horus

Post by Horus »

vinylrake wrote:
Oh ye of little faith. Don't be so negative. Myth IV is currently under development, and I am currently working on ideas for Myth V, so I am sure Myth VI will be out before too long.
I though we were at Myth X (X = 10,000)...
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Horus wrote:
vinylrake wrote:
I though we were at Myth X (X = 10,000)...
They actually stop you from doing overline on forums just so you cant make lame jokes like that (10,000 is X overline, rather than under).

More pointedly, I think the retreat from "main mass" of enemies is a pretty good method, if you are mashing the retreat button, you are gonna want your guys to move away from most of the enemies, not turn 180 and run. If you want that just use scatter. Or even better, just tell them where to go, which is much more easily controlled, and better suited for any given situation.

-DA
Spike

Post by Spike »

Ok first off i meant to say Myth 4

Second the mass approach is unrealistic. The formations and strats/ tactics used by most decent players and the smaller battles that take place never really take advantage of that aspect of the game

Where is the"Mass" when u are engaged in a lock fight on PG using a lone maul to block enemy shots then attack and feint. Clicking to control the unit is beside the point and takes too long when there is supposed to be a retreat option..
I would really like to see someone investigate this and design something more practical.I believe a retreat option where the unit turns 180 from its last direction would be much better suited to the formations that have developed and the small unit tactics that I usually run into during my Mything day.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Spike wrote:Ok first off i meant to say Myth 4

Second the mass approach is unrealistic. The formations and strats/ tactics used by most decent players and the smaller battles that take place never really take advantage of that aspect of the game

Where is the"Mass" when u are engaged in a lock fight on PG using a lone maul to block enemy shots then attack and feint. Clicking to control the unit is beside the point and takes too long when there is supposed to be a retreat option..
I would really like to see someone investigate this and design something more practical.I believe a retreat option where the unit turns 180 from its last direction would be much better suited to the formations that have developed and the small unit tactics that I usually run into during my Mything day.
1) Myth 4 does not exist. There is a plugin called Myth IV: The Wind Age, but doesn't directly make any engine changes.

2) You want a turn 180 button not a retreat button. I feel like the spirit of the retreat button is "move away" from the bad guys, which the mass approach does. Anything beyond that should consist of clicking, as that's how you move units normally. So regardless of how gameplay has developed, and which strats are used, the retreat does what its supposed to as is.

My thoughts anyway...

-DA
Spike

Post by Spike »

Have you ever tried to use it? Do me a favor. Try it sometime and tell me if your units don't "scatter" instead of retreat.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Spike wrote:Have you ever tried to use it? Do me a favor. Try it sometime and tell me if your units don't "scatter" instead of retreat.
I think when I try the Retreat command that _most_ of my units retreat, but a few seem to invariably move toward the enemy. Don't know if it's an actual bug, or if it's just that with so many units in a small space (I tend to want to retreat when my units are too bunched up to control well and some enemy unit is getting too close for comfort, or whether their pathfinding collides with the pathfinding of other friendly units so they turn toward the enemy just to find some free space to move in - e.g. if they survived long enough the rogue units would eventually end up retreating in the proper direction.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I believe it has something to do with the general "mass" of the enemy.
If the enemy is in a spread out staggered line 2 deep for example then the retreating unit may be out of the range of the mass and consequently go toward the enemy. Hence my comment that a retreat option shud be 180 from original line of travel