Author credit

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
A-Red

Author credit

Post by A-Red »

Hey,

Can there be an option to manually add in an author for a plugin? I notice some people are uploading plugs that they didn't make--which is cool, but those plugs are being credited to the uploader automatically. Would be nice if it were possible to insert the name of the real author.

A-Red
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Ugh. People shouldn't upload plugins that they didn't make...

EDIT: Likewise for plugins with Read Me's.

I'm tempted to add a short "agreement" page before you submit the item, that says "1. It is my work or I have permission from the author. 2. The item includes a read me."...
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Maybe, if people are going to upload other folk's plugins (which is likely seeing 90% of mapmakers are long gone from myth), there should instead be a feature that lets them select/enter the name and group of the author.

We should also have a clear message on the site somewhere saying that if you're the author of a plugin on the site & don't want it hosted, send an email to a given address to have it removed.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

A-Red

Post by A-Red »

It would still be good to have the option. If I had permission to upload a plug made by another member of my mapmaking group, I'd want to put their name on it. Other, more obscure situations may arise--for instance, the Power of Ten pack is listed as mine, and while that's technically true since I ran the contest, I had intended to list the author as "Various" or something.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Yeah thats a great idea A-Red. I see it so: - if you upload work os some1 else then his name appears "flat-unclickable" and has other color so every1 know that this person didnt upload it on his own ( there could be also small notice under plug f.e "uploaded by A-Red" and The-Tain account for this person will be still free if he suddenly return from perma-AFK and find The Tain.
Last edited by Tireces on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

in the same way, it would be nice to be able to add authors to a plugin. For example, ozone and I made 7th dorf so our plug shows as Ozone of Zeph/Ozone which is weird :) Would be better if it were by Ozone and Zeph
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zeph wrote:in the same way, it would be nice to be able to add authors to a plugin. For example, ozone and I made 7th dorf so our plug shows as Ozone of Zeph/Ozone which is weird :) Would be better if it were by Ozone and Zeph
Agreed, I would like to post a map by a friend who is long gone from Myth, but I don't want it to show up as my creation.

I think we need seperate (ideally searchable) fields for 'author(s)' and 'submitter'.

Also, I probably have readmes or map reviews from long dead myth related sites which might fill in some of the missing info in the Tain. Since I am not the one who submitted the map.plugin I can't edit the description, so is it ok to add the info in the 'review' section of an existing map? Or to just add a link to a review that's mirrored on mything.org?

thoughts? policy issues?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

vinylrake wrote:
Zeph wrote:in the same way, it would be nice to be able to add authors to a plugin. For example, ozone and I made 7th dorf so our plug shows as Ozone of Zeph/Ozone which is weird :) Would be better if it were by Ozone and Zeph
Agreed, I would like to post a map by a friend who is long gone from Myth, but I don't want it to show up as my creation.

I think we need seperate (ideally searchable) fields for 'author(s)' and 'submitter'.

Also, I probably have readmes or map reviews from long dead myth related sites which might fill in some of the missing info in the Tain. Since I am not the one who submitted the map.plugin I can't edit the description, so is it ok to add the info in the 'review' section of an existing map? Or to just add a link to a review that's mirrored on mything.org?

thoughts? policy issues?
That would be great VR, whether you decide to drop them in the reviews, add links, or get permission to put them right in descriptions that would be greatly beneficial.

It seems to me it would make the most sense to put them in the reviews, but I'd like to hear from Myrd and TZ as the Tain is their baby.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Doobie wrote:That would be great VR, whether you decide to drop them in the reviews, add links, or get permission to put them right in descriptions that would be greatly beneficial.

It seems to me it would make the most sense to put them in the reviews, but I'd like to hear from Myrd and TZ as the Tain is their baby.
I'll await some kind of semi-official advice then, since I am lazy and hate doing things more than once.

Although I might be really lazy and just post links - then if someone wants to get ambitious and paste in the text themselves they can. I REALLY don't want a review to look like it is by ME or that I am claiming credit for something written by someone other than me - Proper author credit/attribution is something I really feel strongly about and which I've made great pains to make sure is clear in any content that's mirrored/republished/re-used on mything.org. I wouldn't want to start muddying things up now.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

vinylrake wrote:Agreed, I would like to post a map by a friend who is long gone from Myth, but I don't want it to show up as my creation.

Right now the workflow is submit it under your name, but state who the original author is. And the admin's will make that person the author.
Example wrote:This is a description of this really cool and awesome map. it probably came from the readme of the original file. Blah blah blah.

(Tain admin please set author to Jonny5 because he made the map not me)
The key for me at least, is to make sure i know that the part telling me who the author is lets me know to change it, and isn't just part of the original readme.

And please don't submit stuff you don't have permission to submit. Right now I'm giving people the benefit of the doubt because we haven't had complaints, and I think we know most of the people who have expressed they don't want their stuff posted without their express consent. Just don't try posting The Seventh God or something and ruin it for everyone. (If you are from creation however, please do post The Seventh God, or at least give us permission to do so =)

I'm still thinking about what to do with reviews and readme's. My current thought is to have admins do it. I'd love to hear Myrd's thoughts.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

TarousZars wrote:Just don't try posting The Seventh God or something and ruin it for everyone. (If you are from creation however, please do post The Seventh God, or at least give us permission to do so =)
Well ... there's GHOST and SiliconDream. They're both Magma members (though sadly awol for some time now) & were in Creation. They both made significant contributions to TSG and were happy for us to host the plugin. Indeed, it was GHOST who did most of the work in updating TSG to a mesh & tagset plugin so it'd work with the 1.4+ updates, though it was later finished by Lothar & hence not released by Magma.

If there's one Creation plugin that can and should be on the Tain its TSG ... any of the others will need the approval of either Clem or the original author of the plugin.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

TarousZars wrote:I think we need seperate (ideally searchable) fields for 'author(s)' and 'submitter'.
Right now the workflow is submit it under your name, but state who the original author is. And the admin's will make that person the author. [/quote]
I can live with it, just figured it would be less work for admins, and would be a quicker turn-around time if the submitter could specify the author without manual intervention/cutting-pasting by an admin.
TarousZars wrote:And please don't submit stuff you don't have permission to submit. Right now I'm giving people the benefit of the doubt because we haven't had complaints, and I think we know most of the people who have expressed they don't want their stuff posted without their express consent. Just don't try posting The Seventh God or something and ruin it for everyone. (If you are from creation however, please do post The Seventh God, or at least give us permission to do so =)
I completely understand your policy. I imagine there are a fairly large # of maps which won't be making an appearance on the Tain due to their author(s) being incommunicado, but I do understand your perspective. Especially all those old TFL goodies.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

iron wrote:
TarousZars wrote:Just don't try posting The Seventh God or something and ruin it for everyone. (If you are from creation however, please do post The Seventh God, or at least give us permission to do so =)
Well ... there's GHOST and SiliconDream. They're both Magma members (though sadly awol for some time now) & were in Creation. They both made significant contributions to TSG and were happy for us to host the plugin. Indeed, it was GHOST who did most of the work in updating TSG to a mesh & tagset plugin so it'd work with the 1.4+ updates, though it was later finished by Lothar & hence not released by Magma.

If there's one Creation plugin that can and should be on the Tain its TSG ... any of the others will need the approval of either Clem or the original author of the plugin.
Wasn't there some drama back when about posting TSG to sites without clems permission? I can't remember how that ended...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

How about you ask Clem to come up here and tell us directly on this forum?
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com