Old Maps

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Arthim

Old Maps

Post by Arthim »

This may seem obvious, but people shold be uploading old maps that they have lying around, to the tain. This way people can find maps that either are not on a website or are on one they do not know about. This may be completely obvious, but i decided to mention it anyway.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Thing is people upload their own creations and I think the Tain admins don't want to start uploading maps without the creators' consent. But you can always search in the udogs HL. There are many old plugins in there. I don't mean the users' upload folders but some other Myth related folders.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

The big problem is getting permissions. If you have something you'd like to see on The Tain - find the original author and tell them to send us a mail. We'll be glad to set up their items for them, if we get the go-ahead. We have an internal archive which has most of the plugins that were on The Mill back in the day...
farmerluk

Post by farmerluk »

What happened to the mill?

I remember using it all the time, its the only reason I managed to get bast the lighting towers in the tain on TFL.
If your clone kills you is it suicide?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

It's dead, but now The Tain is active:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/
farmerluk

Post by farmerluk »

I know, I've got a few downloads from there, what caused the mill to die and did the archives go with them?
If your clone kills you is it suicide?
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

The owners of the mill decided to stop hosting it. It was not worth the bandwidth and time to maintain for them.

A lot of stuff can be found either on The Tain or http://hl.udogs.net/.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Infact, every other part of Fileball could end up dead. :?
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Myrd wrote:The big problem is getting permissions. If you have something you'd like to see on The Tain - find the original author and tell them to send us a mail. We'll be glad to set up their items for them, if we get the go-ahead. We have an internal archive which has most of the plugins that were on The Mill back in the day...
Is there some point at which (since the plugins/maps were posted to one or more (mythmaps comes to mind) public dl sites) after no response from a map's author we could add abandoned maps to the Tain? They could always be removed if the author resurfaced and objected.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

vinylrake wrote:
Myrd wrote:The big problem is getting permissions. If you have something you'd like to see on The Tain - find the original author and tell them to send us a mail. We'll be glad to set up their items for them, if we get the go-ahead. We have an internal archive which has most of the plugins that were on The Mill back in the day...
Is there some point at which (since the plugins/maps were posted to one or more (mythmaps comes to mind) public dl sites) after no response from a map's author we could add abandoned maps to the Tain? They could always be removed if the author resurfaced and objected.
I agree, because many of authors just don't care about Myth and their own creations anymore.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

More importantly, all of those guys already agreed to have their maps posted in a Myth community map archive. It was just a different site--but The Tain basically serves as a continuation of the Mill, so I can't imagine why they would object.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I doubt 99.99% would ever object (or care) but I believe the Tain admins are doing it for the principle rather then the chance that there might be someone upset. Maybe once the Tain gets a little older old plugins might be added. We should have a disclaimer this time on the Tain that the author gives permission of their plugins to be uploaded to any free-based Myth plugin archive. And have a feature with a box for users to uncheck it for certain plugins if they really wish not to do that for certain plugins. This way if something were to happen to the Tain in the future we won't be having this discussion.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

A-Red wrote:More importantly, all of those guys already agreed to have their maps posted in a Myth community map archive. It was just a different site--but The Tain basically serves as a continuation of the Mill, so I can't imagine why they would object.
Logically your point makes sense, but unless I am misremembering, back in the days of The Mill and Myth Maps (two at times competing, later merged dl sites) there were some individuals.groups who didn't want their maps posted on the mill, and at least one other group.individual who didn't want his.their map(s) posted anywhere BUT the mill. Both of these mapmakers.groups were quite vocal about their wishes.

Not very logical I agree, but emotions rarely are.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Various groups and creators in the past have been very picky about where and who hosted their works.

To just give up after a certain number of attempts and make assumptions that arent yours to make and host peoples work would be unethical imo.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Pyro wrote: We should have a disclaimer this time on the Tain that the author gives permission of their plugins to be uploaded to any free-based Myth plugin archive. And have a feature with a box for users to uncheck it for certain plugins if they really wish not to do that for certain plugins. This way if something were to happen to the Tain in the future we won't be having this discussion.
If the plugin creators wanted their work to be distributed freely, why not just say so in the read me?