Stuffit doesn't like us

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Lugas

Stuffit doesn't like us

Post by Lugas »

I use Stuffit for Mac. But when I download stuff from The Tain, it claims that is was compressed in a weird way or has corrupt/damaged content.

Weird? *shudder*

I have tested other things, like Aleph One, Marathon maps and I've even made my own archives and they have uncompressed fine.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

stuffix expander opens just about everything without probs for me. *shrug*
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

What version of Stuffit are you using and what specific files are you having problems with?
Last edited by Myrd on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

I'm using Stuffit 9.0.1. It's only PowerPC compatible. (I wouldn't dare use it on an Intel mac)

I'm having problems with files from The Tain. One example is Shiver's Turn. I download it from the Tain, it doesn't work. Then I download it from Pyro's hotline folder, it doesn't work. I've also tried UTB expansion pack and TFV PlayMyth interface. Both of these either say it was compressed in an "unknown" way or have damaged/corrupt files.

Also, sometimes the uncompression stops near the beginning and I get a small file instead (which naturally is not seen by Myth)

Edit: I tried 11.0.2. Same thing.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Is there no other program that Macs use to uncompress Zip files?
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Well, I have an old version (still OS X compatible) of Stuffit. (v7.0.1 or similar) and ZipIt...both of which are no use. Stuffit 7.0.1 said the same thing and ZipIt is so useless I can't be bothered with it. But I did use OS X's default uncompressor (which is called BOMArchiveHelper) and that worked!!! :o

Very strange...cause that one didn't work on previous attempts (on Pyro's Shiver's Turn).

I will now play Shiver's Turn RC8.

Edit: Shiver's Turn RC8 actually showed up as a Unix exec file and is not recognised by Myth.

?

Edit2: Other files that are rejected by Stuffit are fine under the default uncompressor, but I worry whether they are like what happened to Shiver's Turn.

Pyro: How big is Shiver's Turn RC8 supposed to be? I've got a file 44.7 MB big.

Also: I downloaded the Universal version of Omnipatch. That uncompressed under Stuffit fine.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yes, the plugin is 44.7 MB. What is the file extension for a Unix exec file?
ozone

Post by ozone »

Quick Change

use this app and change the file type to "File" and the creator to "M2SB"
do it.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

After you place the plugin into the plugins folder and launch Myth, the correct file type will be assigned.

As for uncompression, I usually use TheUnarchiver to expand most files. But Stuffit, in my experience, is the most compatible (decompresses more reliably)...
ozone

Post by ozone »

Myrd wrote:After you place the plugin into the plugins folder and launch Myth, the correct file type will be assigned.
I have found this isnt always the case or I would have never needed or looked for the Quick Change app.
do it.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

A lot of my plugins are Unix exec files, but they've never given me problems - they show up ingame just fine.
The cake is a lie.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

What I mean by Unix files is they look like black boxes with a "exec" in them which is green.

Sometimes, they look like documents. Both of which don't work.

And Stuffit is only getting crazier. Now it says something about moving it to the start of the file. How crazy is that?!?!?!?

I downloaded (again) Nightfall- The 7th Legion (great map btw, thanks iron!) and it changed formats successfully!

This is all sooo crazy! :shock:
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Hmmm, I have always had files look like exec files or blank documents, but never had them not work when I just put them in my plugins folder. Handy app tho Oz...

-DA
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Something else that is weird is the fact that I could see the tags inside Shiver's Turn inside untag for OS X.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Everything works fine now. Pyro, regarding Shiver's Turn rc8, keep up the good work. :wink: